Omiyage

  • mercy67@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6 10:31 AM
      Greetings!

      Does anyone know if the small quilted pouches and boxes are period or
      not? I bought this great book on the subject and it hints that they
      might have been period, but it isn't 100% clear.

      --Mercy
      Message 2 of 4 , May 7 9:28 AM
        mercy67@... wrote:

        > Greetings!
        >
        > Does anyone know if the small quilted pouches and boxes are period or
        > not? I bought this great book on the subject and it hints that they
        > might have been period, but it isn't 100% clear.

        I can't recall having seen them off the top of my head. I'd have to say it probably depends on size/shape/whatnot.

        Effingham
      • Lisa Lambert
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003
          Experts, please:
          How do you pronounce omiyage? Does it mean gift, or gift giving tradition?
          Small thank-you type gifts? I like this practice, followed casually.
          Thanks,
          Lisa

          >From: "mgiard2002" <mgiard@...>
          >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: Plum Wine (Tasty, Tasty!)
          >Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 17:40:36 -0000
          >

          >The only recipe I found on the net was a cordial in fact...
          >Brandy and Japanese Plums...
          >
          >A period recipe about plum wine will interest me too, a lot... ;-)
          >
          > Fukushima Masanari Hanzo
          >
          >--- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "mattfmcti" <mattfmcti@y...> wrote:
          > > Katai na Itoko! (Honorable Cousins)
          > >
          > > I had a few questions regarding plum wine:
          > >
          > > 1) Is it period? (Someone please say YES)
          > > 2) Is the manufacture/fermentation process similar to sake, or more
          > > akin to grape wine?
          > > 3) Has anyone ever tried to make any?
          > > 4) Is the japanese "plum" similar to the black plums growing in my
          > > grandfather's North Texas front yard?
          > >
          > > I realize that plums are currently out of season, but I can always
          > > prepare for next summer/fall.
          > >
          > > Fujiwara Kintarou Takaharu

          Winterize your home with tips from MSN House & Home.
        • Ii Saburou
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003
            O-mi-ya-ge
            a as in 'father'
            i as in 'meet'
            u as in 'boot'
            e as in 'get'
            o as in 'so'

            It is the gift--usually referring to gifts you get people when you go
            traveling, to bring back. It can be food, cards, special products, etc.
            (food seems pretty common, though--each place has its own special food,
            usually).

            -Ii