Re: [SCA-JML] Printing Mon on Fabrics?

  • debbie strub
    Message 1 of 13 , May 2, 2001
      Greetings from Tsuruko,

      They were dyed when the fabric/garment was dyed. Different dye
      techniques were used depending on the time period in question.
      Last March I attended a brief talk on Traditional Japanese
      Textiles given by the owner of Kasuri Dyeworks. He was discussing modern
      kimono, but I found the following facts interesting.
      If the dye color inside the mon matches the surrounding fabric the
      garment was custom dyed. If it doesn't match that means the crest was left
      white when the fabric was dyed and the crest filled in later.

      YIS,

      Murakami Tsuruko