Re: Later than Heian clothing - Momoyama???

  • Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2, 2001
      Thanks ever so much ladies! That'll get me started.
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 20 , May 2, 2001

        Greetings from Solveig! Actually, they will probably use Worldcat
        at OCLC to locate libraries which are willing to lend the book
        and then submit requests to them.

        The ISBN is one of several ways to identify a book. One of the
        problems with holdings of East Asian books is that an identical
        book may be listed in slightly different ways at different
        libraries. This can result in different ascenssion numbers and
        multiple entries for essentially the same book. The ISBN is
        unique for editions, but is not unique for titles. Basically,
        obtaining asian books through ILL is a bit of an adventure.
        Sometimes the ILL people can come through with pleasant
        surprises where they find books that are not actually requesting,
        but which you very much enjoy finding.

        | techie.com, msn.com |
        Message 3 of 20 , May 2, 2001
          Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes wrote:

          > I thought I mentioned that, silly me. Women's.

          I'm sorry. I must have missed a few posts in the frenzy of the past few
          days.

          What exactly are you looking for -- class, period, sex, age, whatever -- and
          for what? I'll see if I can dig something up.

          Message 4 of 20 , May 2, 2001
            Barbara Nostrand wrote:

            > 1. Baron Edward is working on a CA devoted to men's clothing. I
            > have seen the galleys so I can say this with great confidence.\

            That would be some trick, as there is as yet no edited manuscript, only a few illustrations, and only a few written sections... <G>

            > The measurements in this book are in metric. The garments may also be for people
            > rather smaller than you are.

            That's why I automatically up the scale about 10%, to fit the difference in body scale from historical Japanese to present day nanbanjin.

            Effingham
          • Andrea Gideon
            Message 5 of 20 , May 3, 2001

              > The following is the Library of Congress card catalogue entry (I pulled it
              > up searching for the keywords "jidai" and "isho"):
              >
              > I hope this helps.
              >
              > Sincerely,
              >
              > Christopher Wallace

              THANKS! I have a friend who works in the Asian reading room, so I'll be able to get the book without too much wait. There are times when I really
              love living so close to D.C.

              Andrea
            • Barbara Nostrand
              Message 6 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                Baron Edward!

                Greetings from Solveig!

                >That would be some trick, as there is as yet no edited manuscript,
                >only a few illustrations, and only a few written sections... <G>

                Then, what was that thing that you showed me last Pennsic? I thought
                that it was your cloting CA issue. Was it an armour CA instead?

                >That's why I automatically up the scale about 10%, to fit the
                >difference in body scale from historical Japanese to present day
                >nanbanjin.

                Are you sure that 10% enough? Historical Japanese were pretty
                small compared to today. I've been in some of those old buildings.

                | techie.com, msn.com |
                Message 7 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                  Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                  > Baron Edward!
                  >
                  > Greetings from Solveig!
                  >
                  > >That would be some trick, as there is as yet no edited manuscript,
                  > >only a few illustrations, and only a few written sections... <G>
                  >
                  > Then, what was that thing that you showed me last Pennsic? I thought
                  > that it was your cloting CA issue. Was it an armour CA instead?

                  Ah, that was the armour CA.

                  > >That's why I automatically up the scale about 10%, to fit the
                  > >difference in body scale from historical Japanese to present day
                  > >nanbanjin.
                  >
                  > Are you sure that 10% enough? Historical Japanese were pretty
                  > small compared to today. I've been in some of those old buildings.

                  Assuming a 5'3" man as typical, adding 10% gives you a 5'9" man, which is
                  typical today.

                  Effingham
                • Barbara Nostrand
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                    Baron Edward!

                    Where does the 5'3" measure come from and do you have one for
                    women?

                    | techie.com, msn.com |
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                      Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                      > Baron Edward!
                      >
                      > Where does the 5'3" measure come from and do you have one for
                      > women?

                      I wish I could recall. It was something I saw somewhere years ago on a chart. At the time, I wasn't paying attention to female statistics. One of
                      those "doh!" moments....

                      Effingham
                    • Barbara Nostrand
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 3, 2001

                        Unfortunately, Worldcat claims that there is precisely one copy
                        of the nuikata book in the interlibrary loan system. I truly
                        wish that the Society were living up to collecting a library.
                        Then, we might be able to borrow books through the Society.

                        | techie.com, msn.com |
                      • Kass McGann
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                          > Where does the 5'3" measure come from and do you have one
                          for
                          > women?

                          I wish I could recall. It was something I saw somewhere years ago on a chart. At the time, I wasn't paying attention to female statistics. One of
                          those "doh!" moments....

                          The average women's height was five feet.  I must have read the same book, darling...

                          Kass/Fujiwara

                          Message 12 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                            Kass McGann wrote:

                            > I wish I could recall. It was something I saw somewhere years ago on a
                            > chart. At the time, I wasn't paying attention to female statistics.
                            > One of
                            > those "doh!" moments....
                            > same book, darling...

                            Domo, ne! <G>*

                            Effingham
                            *thanx
                          • Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                              --- In sca-jml@y..., "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
                              > Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes wrote:
                              >
                              > > I thought I mentioned that, silly me. Women's.
                              >
                              > I'm sorry. I must have missed a few posts in the frenzy of the past
                              few
                              > days.
                              >

                              > What exactly are you looking for -- class, period, sex, age,
                              whatever -- and
                              > for what? I'll see if I can dig something up.
                              >

                              > Effingham

                              Class, well, upper, warrior class. Period, 1550 to 1600(ish - I'll
                              go over) Female preferred, but some more knowledge on men's styles
                              would be nice as well. Eventually I'd like to find out more and more
                              about the time period in all aspects, but clothing seems to be where
                              I start.