Re: Later than Heian clothing - Momoyama???

  • Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2, 2001
      --- In sca-jml@y..., Andrea Gideon <andrea@g...> wrote:

      > > Now this more modern stuff is fun, but still not something I can
      be
      > > proud of as an SCA accomplishment. And I'm wondering if there are
      > > any sources that I might be able to get maybe through ILL that
      > > someone could reccommend?
      > >
      > > Or maybe someone out there is an expert?
      > >

      > Are you loooking for info on men's or women's clothing?
      >
      > Nadeshiko

      I thought I mentioned that, silly me. Women's.
    • Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes
      Message 2 of 20 , May 2, 2001
        Thanks ever so much ladies! That'll get me started.
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 20 , May 2, 2001

          Greetings from Solveig! Actually, they will probably use Worldcat
          at OCLC to locate libraries which are willing to lend the book
          and then submit requests to them.

          The ISBN is one of several ways to identify a book. One of the
          problems with holdings of East Asian books is that an identical
          book may be listed in slightly different ways at different
          libraries. This can result in different ascenssion numbers and
          multiple entries for essentially the same book. The ISBN is
          unique for editions, but is not unique for titles. Basically,
          obtaining asian books through ILL is a bit of an adventure.
          Sometimes the ILL people can come through with pleasant
          surprises where they find books that are not actually requesting,
          but which you very much enjoy finding.

          | techie.com, msn.com |
          Message 4 of 20 , May 2, 2001
            Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes wrote:

            > I thought I mentioned that, silly me. Women's.

            I'm sorry. I must have missed a few posts in the frenzy of the past few
            days.

            What exactly are you looking for -- class, period, sex, age, whatever -- and
            for what? I'll see if I can dig something up.

            Message 5 of 20 , May 2, 2001
              Barbara Nostrand wrote:

              > 1. Baron Edward is working on a CA devoted to men's clothing. I
              > have seen the galleys so I can say this with great confidence.\

              That would be some trick, as there is as yet no edited manuscript, only a few illustrations, and only a few written sections... <G>

              > The measurements in this book are in metric. The garments may also be for people
              > rather smaller than you are.

              That's why I automatically up the scale about 10%, to fit the difference in body scale from historical Japanese to present day nanbanjin.

              Effingham
            • Andrea Gideon
              Message 6 of 20 , May 3, 2001

                > The following is the Library of Congress card catalogue entry (I pulled it
                > up searching for the keywords "jidai" and "isho"):
                >
                > I hope this helps.
                >
                > Sincerely,
                >
                > Christopher Wallace

                THANKS! I have a friend who works in the Asian reading room, so I'll be able to get the book without too much wait. There are times when I really
                love living so close to D.C.

                Andrea
              • Barbara Nostrand
                Message 7 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                  Baron Edward!

                  Greetings from Solveig!

                  >That would be some trick, as there is as yet no edited manuscript,
                  >only a few illustrations, and only a few written sections... <G>

                  Then, what was that thing that you showed me last Pennsic? I thought
                  that it was your cloting CA issue. Was it an armour CA instead?

                  >That's why I automatically up the scale about 10%, to fit the
                  >difference in body scale from historical Japanese to present day
                  >nanbanjin.

                  Are you sure that 10% enough? Historical Japanese were pretty
                  small compared to today. I've been in some of those old buildings.

                  | techie.com, msn.com |
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                    Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                    > Baron Edward!
                    >
                    > Greetings from Solveig!
                    >
                    > >That would be some trick, as there is as yet no edited manuscript,
                    > >only a few illustrations, and only a few written sections... <G>
                    >
                    > Then, what was that thing that you showed me last Pennsic? I thought
                    > that it was your cloting CA issue. Was it an armour CA instead?

                    Ah, that was the armour CA.

                    > >That's why I automatically up the scale about 10%, to fit the
                    > >difference in body scale from historical Japanese to present day
                    > >nanbanjin.
                    >
                    > Are you sure that 10% enough? Historical Japanese were pretty
                    > small compared to today. I've been in some of those old buildings.

                    Assuming a 5'3" man as typical, adding 10% gives you a 5'9" man, which is
                    typical today.

                    Effingham
                  • Barbara Nostrand
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                      Baron Edward!

                      Where does the 5'3" measure come from and do you have one for
                      women?

                      | techie.com, msn.com |
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                        Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                        > Baron Edward!
                        >
                        > Where does the 5'3" measure come from and do you have one for
                        > women?

                        I wish I could recall. It was something I saw somewhere years ago on a chart. At the time, I wasn't paying attention to female statistics. One of
                        those "doh!" moments....

                        Effingham
                      • Barbara Nostrand
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 3, 2001

                          Unfortunately, Worldcat claims that there is precisely one copy
                          of the nuikata book in the interlibrary loan system. I truly
                          wish that the Society were living up to collecting a library.
                          Then, we might be able to borrow books through the Society.

                          | techie.com, msn.com |
                        • Kass McGann
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                            > Where does the 5'3" measure come from and do you have one
                            for
                            > women?

                            I wish I could recall. It was something I saw somewhere years ago on a chart. At the time, I wasn't paying attention to female statistics. One of
                            those "doh!" moments....

                            The average women's height was five feet.  I must have read the same book, darling...

                            Kass/Fujiwara

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                              Kass McGann wrote:

                              > I wish I could recall. It was something I saw somewhere years ago on a
                              > chart. At the time, I wasn't paying attention to female statistics.
                              > One of
                              > those "doh!" moments....
                              > same book, darling...

                              Domo, ne! <G>*

                              Effingham
                              *thanx
                            • Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                                --- In sca-jml@y..., "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
                                > Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes wrote:
                                >
                                > > I thought I mentioned that, silly me. Women's.
                                >
                                > I'm sorry. I must have missed a few posts in the frenzy of the past
                                few
                                > days.
                                >

                                > What exactly are you looking for -- class, period, sex, age,
                                whatever -- and
                                > for what? I'll see if I can dig something up.
                                >

                                > Effingham

                                Class, well, upper, warrior class. Period, 1550 to 1600(ish - I'll
                                go over) Female preferred, but some more knowledge on men's styles
                                would be nice as well. Eventually I'd like to find out more and more
                                about the time period in all aspects, but clothing seems to be where
                                I start.