Re: Later than Heian clothing - Momoyama???

  • Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2, 2001
      --- In sca-jml@y..., Andrea Gideon <andrea@g...> wrote:

      > > Now this more modern stuff is fun, but still not something I can
      be
      > > proud of as an SCA accomplishment. And I'm wondering if there are
      > > any sources that I might be able to get maybe through ILL that
      > > someone could reccommend?
      > >
      > > Or maybe someone out there is an expert?
      > >

      > Are you loooking for info on men's or women's clothing?
      >
      > Nadeshiko

      I thought I mentioned that, silly me. Women's.
    • Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes
      Message 2 of 20 , May 2, 2001
        Thanks ever so much ladies! That'll get me started.
      • C. J. Wallace
        Message 3 of 20 , May 2, 2001
          > > 2. You may be able to get the Nuikata book through interlibrary
          > > loan. I think that you can do a Worldcat search via ISBN.
          > > If so, just have your ILL librarian look up
          > >
          > > ISBN 4-7739-8405-8
          > >

          > Can you give me full title and author info? The Library of
          > Congress catalog is coming up nothing with that ISBN.

          The following is the Library of Congress card catalogue entry (I pulled it
          up searching for the keywords "jidai" and "isho"):
          LC Control Number: 85114935

          Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)

          Personal Name: Kurihara, Hiro, 1919-

          Main Title: Jidai ish?o no nuikata : fukugenhin o ch?ushin to shita
          Nihon dent?o ifuku no k?osei gih?o / Kurihara Hiro,
          Kawamura Machiko ; kar?a shashin satsuei Nokubo
          Masayoshi.

          Edition Information:
          Shohan.

          Published/Created: T?oky?o : Genry?usha, Sh?owa 59 [1984]

          Related Names: Kawamura, Machiko, 1935-

          Subjects: Sewing.
          Kimonos--Pattern design.
          Costume--Japan.

          LC Classification: TT715 .K87 1984

          Other System No.: (CStRLIN)DCLP85-B4279

          Geog. Area Code: a-ja---

          ______________________________

          CALL NUMBER: TT715 .K87 1984 Japan

          -- Request in: Asian Reading Room (Jefferson, LJ150)

          ______________________________

          CALL NUMBER: TT715 .K87 1984 Japan
          Copy 1

          -- Request in: Asian Reading Room (Jefferson, LJ150)

          LIBRARY OF CONGRESS ONLINE CATALOG
          Library of Congress
          101 Independence Ave., SE
          Washington, DC 20540
          EMAIL: lconline@...
          I know that it can be requested through ILL; as a matter of fact, I have
          just done so myself. If you give the catalogue entry and the ISBN (which is
          indeed 4773984058) to your local librarian, he should be able to use the
          electronic request form (I believe that's what is required to get books on
          ILL from the Library of Congress) to get the book for you.

          I hope this helps.

          Sincerely,

          Christopher Wallace
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 20 , May 2, 2001
            Noble Cousin!

            Greetings from Solveig! Actually, they will probably use Worldcat
            at OCLC to locate libraries which are willing to lend the book
            and then submit requests to them.

            The ISBN is one of several ways to identify a book. One of the
            problems with holdings of East Asian books is that an identical
            book may be listed in slightly different ways at different
            libraries. This can result in different ascenssion numbers and
            multiple entries for essentially the same book. The ISBN is
            unique for editions, but is not unique for titles. Basically,
            obtaining asian books through ILL is a bit of an adventure.
            Sometimes the ILL people can come through with pleasant
            surprises where they find books that are not actually requesting,
            but which you very much enjoy finding.

            | techie.com, msn.com |
            Message 5 of 20 , May 2, 2001
              Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes wrote:

              > I thought I mentioned that, silly me. Women's.

              I'm sorry. I must have missed a few posts in the frenzy of the past few
              days.

              What exactly are you looking for -- class, period, sex, age, whatever -- and
              for what? I'll see if I can dig something up.

              Message 6 of 20 , May 2, 2001
                Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                > 1. Baron Edward is working on a CA devoted to men's clothing. I
                > have seen the galleys so I can say this with great confidence.\

                That would be some trick, as there is as yet no edited manuscript, only a few illustrations, and only a few written sections... <G>

                > The measurements in this book are in metric. The garments may also be for people
                > rather smaller than you are.

                That's why I automatically up the scale about 10%, to fit the difference in body scale from historical Japanese to present day nanbanjin.

                Effingham
              • Andrea Gideon
                Message 7 of 20 , May 3, 2001

                  > The following is the Library of Congress card catalogue entry (I pulled it
                  > up searching for the keywords "jidai" and "isho"):
                  >
                  > I hope this helps.
                  >
                  > Sincerely,
                  >
                  > Christopher Wallace

                  THANKS! I have a friend who works in the Asian reading room, so I'll be able to get the book without too much wait. There are times when I really
                  love living so close to D.C.

                  Andrea
                • Barbara Nostrand
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                    Baron Edward!

                    Greetings from Solveig!

                    >That would be some trick, as there is as yet no edited manuscript,
                    >only a few illustrations, and only a few written sections... <G>

                    Then, what was that thing that you showed me last Pennsic? I thought
                    that it was your cloting CA issue. Was it an armour CA instead?

                    >That's why I automatically up the scale about 10%, to fit the
                    >difference in body scale from historical Japanese to present day
                    >nanbanjin.

                    Are you sure that 10% enough? Historical Japanese were pretty
                    small compared to today. I've been in some of those old buildings.

                    | techie.com, msn.com |
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                      Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                      > Baron Edward!
                      >
                      > Greetings from Solveig!
                      >
                      > >That would be some trick, as there is as yet no edited manuscript,
                      > >only a few illustrations, and only a few written sections... <G>
                      >
                      > Then, what was that thing that you showed me last Pennsic? I thought
                      > that it was your cloting CA issue. Was it an armour CA instead?

                      Ah, that was the armour CA.

                      > >That's why I automatically up the scale about 10%, to fit the
                      > >difference in body scale from historical Japanese to present day
                      > >nanbanjin.
                      >
                      > Are you sure that 10% enough? Historical Japanese were pretty
                      > small compared to today. I've been in some of those old buildings.

                      Assuming a 5'3" man as typical, adding 10% gives you a 5'9" man, which is
                      typical today.

                      Effingham
                    • Barbara Nostrand
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                        Baron Edward!

                        Where does the 5'3" measure come from and do you have one for
                        women?

                        | techie.com, msn.com |
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                          Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                          > Baron Edward!
                          >
                          > Where does the 5'3" measure come from and do you have one for
                          > women?

                          I wish I could recall. It was something I saw somewhere years ago on a chart. At the time, I wasn't paying attention to female statistics. One of
                          those "doh!" moments....

                          Effingham
                        • Barbara Nostrand
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 3, 2001

                            Unfortunately, Worldcat claims that there is precisely one copy
                            of the nuikata book in the interlibrary loan system. I truly
                            wish that the Society were living up to collecting a library.
                            Then, we might be able to borrow books through the Society.

                            | techie.com, msn.com |
                          • Kass McGann
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                              > Where does the 5'3" measure come from and do you have one
                              for
                              > women?

                              I wish I could recall. It was something I saw somewhere years ago on a chart. At the time, I wasn't paying attention to female statistics. One of
                              those "doh!" moments....

                              The average women's height was five feet.  I must have read the same book, darling...

                              Kass/Fujiwara

                              Message 14 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                                Kass McGann wrote:

                                > I wish I could recall. It was something I saw somewhere years ago on a
                                > chart. At the time, I wasn't paying attention to female statistics.
                                > One of
                                > those "doh!" moments....
                                > same book, darling...

                                Domo, ne! <G>*

                                Effingham
                                *thanx
                              • Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                                  --- In sca-jml@y..., "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
                                  > Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > I thought I mentioned that, silly me. Women's.
                                  >
                                  > I'm sorry. I must have missed a few posts in the frenzy of the past
                                  few
                                  > days.
                                  >

                                  > What exactly are you looking for -- class, period, sex, age,
                                  whatever -- and
                                  > for what? I'll see if I can dig something up.
                                  >

                                  > Effingham

                                  Class, well, upper, warrior class. Period, 1550 to 1600(ish - I'll
                                  go over) Female preferred, but some more knowledge on men's styles
                                  would be nice as well. Eventually I'd like to find out more and more
                                  about the time period in all aspects, but clothing seems to be where
                                  I start.