Re: Later than Heian clothing - Momoyama???

  • Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes
    Message 1 of 20 , May 2, 2001
      --- In sca-jml@y..., Andrea Gideon <andrea@g...> wrote:

      > > Now this more modern stuff is fun, but still not something I can
      be
      > > proud of as an SCA accomplishment. And I'm wondering if there are
      > > any sources that I might be able to get maybe through ILL that
      > > someone could reccommend?
      > >
      > > Or maybe someone out there is an expert?
      > >

      > Are you loooking for info on men's or women's clothing?
      >
      > Nadeshiko

      I thought I mentioned that, silly me. Women's.
    • Kass McGann
      Message 2 of 20 , May 2, 2001
        I'm at a terrible disadvantage as I too cannot read Japanese, (and
        have no access to good research libraries, let's face it the Omaha
        Public Library has very limited references!) and I'm having a bear of
        a time finding info on the clothing for women from this period.

        Have you read Dalby's "Kimono: Fashioning Culture"?  It's not specifically on Momoyama period textiles, but it covers all periods from ancient time to the present.  Although it is not my favourite period, I know there is some info on Momoyama women's clothing in there.

        Also, Momoyama was the period in which the kosode really became the garment of art and beauty that it is today (in the form of the modern kimono).  Most books titled "Kosode" will begin with a discussion of Momoyama period textiles.  Matter of fact, the most well-preserved extant garments that survive from the Sengoku period date to Momoyama.  How lucky you are!

        Furthermore, there is a lady in Atlantia (Washington DC area) who did a number of articles on Momoyama textiles for TI.  Go to sca.org, click on the link for Tournaments Illuminated, and look in the Index of Articles for her works.  There may be a link to her article there or you can order a copy from the Stock Clerk in Milpitas.  Also, her email address may be listed and I have found her to be helpful whenever we spoke.  If nothing else, her articles will give you a great bibliography from which to start.  I am reasonably sure that the author does not read Japanese, so they will all be in English.  =)

        But just to whet your appetite, here are some pictures from Momoyama:
        An upper class bushi woman wearing uchikake --
        An upper class bushi woman wearing koshimaki --
        A prostitute --

        I hope this gives you some assistance.

        Kass
        aka Fujiwara no Aoi
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 20 , May 2, 2001

          >Now this more modern stuff is fun, but still not something I can be
          >proud of as an SCA accomplishment. And I'm wondering if there are
          >any sources that I might be able to get maybe through ILL that
          >someone could reccommend?

          1. Baron Edward is working on a CA devoted to men's clothing. I
          have seen the galleys so I can say this with great confidence.
          I hear that Fujiwara Hime has similar plans for women;s
          clothing.

          2. You may be able to get the Nuikata book through interlibrary
          loan. I think that you can do a Worldcat search via ISBN.
          If so, just have your ILL librarian look up

          ISBN 4-7739-8405-8

          and get a copy for you to borrow. The measurements in this
          book are in metric. The garments may also be for people
          rather smaller than you are. In at least some instances,
          they were made for children. I think that someone should
          go through the nuikata book and simply make an HTML version
          of an anotated table of contents for the thing so that
          people who do not read Japanese will know what they are
          looking at. I think that either of the clothes horses on
          this mailing list would do a far better job of it than I,
          but I will have a bit of free time after exams are over.

          | techie.com, msn.com |
        • Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes
          Message 4 of 20 , May 2, 2001
            Thanks ever so much ladies! That'll get me started.
          • Andrea Gideon
            Message 5 of 20 , May 2, 2001

              > 2. You may be able to get the Nuikata book through interlibrary
              > loan. I think that you can do a Worldcat search via ISBN.
              > If so, just have your ILL librarian look up
              >
              > ISBN 4-7739-8405-8

              Can you give me full title and author info? The Library of Congress catalog is coming up nothing with that ISBN.

              Andrea
            • C. J. Wallace
              Message 6 of 20 , May 2, 2001
                > > 2. You may be able to get the Nuikata book through interlibrary
                > > loan. I think that you can do a Worldcat search via ISBN.
                > > If so, just have your ILL librarian look up
                > >
                > > ISBN 4-7739-8405-8
                > >

                > Can you give me full title and author info? The Library of
                > Congress catalog is coming up nothing with that ISBN.

                The following is the Library of Congress card catalogue entry (I pulled it
                up searching for the keywords "jidai" and "isho"):
                LC Control Number: 85114935

                Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)

                Personal Name: Kurihara, Hiro, 1919-

                Main Title: Jidai ish?o no nuikata : fukugenhin o ch?ushin to shita
                Nihon dent?o ifuku no k?osei gih?o / Kurihara Hiro,
                Kawamura Machiko ; kar?a shashin satsuei Nokubo
                Masayoshi.

                Edition Information:
                Shohan.

                Published/Created: T?oky?o : Genry?usha, Sh?owa 59 [1984]

                Related Names: Kawamura, Machiko, 1935-

                Subjects: Sewing.
                Kimonos--Pattern design.
                Costume--Japan.

                LC Classification: TT715 .K87 1984

                Other System No.: (CStRLIN)DCLP85-B4279

                Geog. Area Code: a-ja---

                ______________________________

                CALL NUMBER: TT715 .K87 1984 Japan

                -- Request in: Asian Reading Room (Jefferson, LJ150)

                ______________________________

                CALL NUMBER: TT715 .K87 1984 Japan
                Copy 1

                -- Request in: Asian Reading Room (Jefferson, LJ150)

                LIBRARY OF CONGRESS ONLINE CATALOG
                Library of Congress
                101 Independence Ave., SE
                Washington, DC 20540
                EMAIL: lconline@...
                I know that it can be requested through ILL; as a matter of fact, I have
                just done so myself. If you give the catalogue entry and the ISBN (which is
                indeed 4773984058) to your local librarian, he should be able to use the
                electronic request form (I believe that's what is required to get books on
                ILL from the Library of Congress) to get the book for you.

                I hope this helps.

                Sincerely,

                Christopher Wallace
              • Barbara Nostrand
                Message 7 of 20 , May 2, 2001

                  Greetings from Solveig! Actually, they will probably use Worldcat
                  at OCLC to locate libraries which are willing to lend the book
                  and then submit requests to them.

                  The ISBN is one of several ways to identify a book. One of the
                  problems with holdings of East Asian books is that an identical
                  book may be listed in slightly different ways at different
                  libraries. This can result in different ascenssion numbers and
                  multiple entries for essentially the same book. The ISBN is
                  unique for editions, but is not unique for titles. Basically,
                  obtaining asian books through ILL is a bit of an adventure.
                  Sometimes the ILL people can come through with pleasant
                  surprises where they find books that are not actually requesting,
                  but which you very much enjoy finding.

                  | techie.com, msn.com |
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 2, 2001
                    Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes wrote:

                    > I thought I mentioned that, silly me. Women's.

                    I'm sorry. I must have missed a few posts in the frenzy of the past few
                    days.

                    What exactly are you looking for -- class, period, sex, age, whatever -- and
                    for what? I'll see if I can dig something up.

                    Message 9 of 20 , May 2, 2001
                      Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                      > 1. Baron Edward is working on a CA devoted to men's clothing. I
                      > have seen the galleys so I can say this with great confidence.\

                      That would be some trick, as there is as yet no edited manuscript, only a few illustrations, and only a few written sections... <G>

                      > The measurements in this book are in metric. The garments may also be for people
                      > rather smaller than you are.

                      That's why I automatically up the scale about 10%, to fit the difference in body scale from historical Japanese to present day nanbanjin.

                      Effingham
                    • Andrea Gideon
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 3, 2001

                        > The following is the Library of Congress card catalogue entry (I pulled it
                        > up searching for the keywords "jidai" and "isho"):
                        >
                        > I hope this helps.
                        >
                        > Sincerely,
                        >
                        > Christopher Wallace

                        THANKS! I have a friend who works in the Asian reading room, so I'll be able to get the book without too much wait. There are times when I really
                        love living so close to D.C.

                        Andrea
                      • Barbara Nostrand
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                          Baron Edward!

                          Greetings from Solveig!

                          >That would be some trick, as there is as yet no edited manuscript,
                          >only a few illustrations, and only a few written sections... <G>

                          Then, what was that thing that you showed me last Pennsic? I thought
                          that it was your cloting CA issue. Was it an armour CA instead?

                          >That's why I automatically up the scale about 10%, to fit the
                          >difference in body scale from historical Japanese to present day
                          >nanbanjin.

                          Are you sure that 10% enough? Historical Japanese were pretty
                          small compared to today. I've been in some of those old buildings.

                          | techie.com, msn.com |
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                            Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                            > Baron Edward!
                            >
                            > Greetings from Solveig!
                            >
                            > >That would be some trick, as there is as yet no edited manuscript,
                            > >only a few illustrations, and only a few written sections... <G>
                            >
                            > Then, what was that thing that you showed me last Pennsic? I thought
                            > that it was your cloting CA issue. Was it an armour CA instead?

                            Ah, that was the armour CA.

                            > >That's why I automatically up the scale about 10%, to fit the
                            > >difference in body scale from historical Japanese to present day
                            > >nanbanjin.
                            >
                            > Are you sure that 10% enough? Historical Japanese were pretty
                            > small compared to today. I've been in some of those old buildings.

                            Assuming a 5'3" man as typical, adding 10% gives you a 5'9" man, which is
                            typical today.

                            Effingham
                          • Barbara Nostrand
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                              Baron Edward!

                              Where does the 5'3" measure come from and do you have one for
                              women?

                              | techie.com, msn.com |
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                                Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                                > Baron Edward!
                                >
                                > Where does the 5'3" measure come from and do you have one for
                                > women?

                                I wish I could recall. It was something I saw somewhere years ago on a chart. At the time, I wasn't paying attention to female statistics. One of
                                those "doh!" moments....

                                Effingham
                              • Barbara Nostrand
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 3, 2001

                                  Unfortunately, Worldcat claims that there is precisely one copy
                                  of the nuikata book in the interlibrary loan system. I truly
                                  wish that the Society were living up to collecting a library.
                                  Then, we might be able to borrow books through the Society.

                                  | techie.com, msn.com |
                                • Kass McGann
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                                    > Where does the 5'3" measure come from and do you have one
                                    for
                                    > women?

                                    I wish I could recall. It was something I saw somewhere years ago on a chart. At the time, I wasn't paying attention to female statistics. One of
                                    those "doh!" moments....

                                    The average women's height was five feet.  I must have read the same book, darling...

                                    Kass/Fujiwara

                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                                      Kass McGann wrote:

                                      > I wish I could recall. It was something I saw somewhere years ago on a
                                      > chart. At the time, I wasn't paying attention to female statistics.
                                      > One of
                                      > those "doh!" moments....
                                      > same book, darling...

                                      Domo, ne! <G>*

                                      Effingham
                                      *thanx
                                    • Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 3, 2001
                                        --- In sca-jml@y..., "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
                                        > Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > I thought I mentioned that, silly me. Women's.
                                        >
                                        > I'm sorry. I must have missed a few posts in the frenzy of the past
                                        few
                                        > days.
                                        >

                                        > What exactly are you looking for -- class, period, sex, age,
                                        whatever -- and
                                        > for what? I'll see if I can dig something up.
                                        >

                                        > Effingham

                                        Class, well, upper, warrior class. Period, 1550 to 1600(ish - I'll
                                        go over) Female preferred, but some more knowledge on men's styles
                                        would be nice as well. Eventually I'd like to find out more and more
                                        about the time period in all aspects, but clothing seems to be where
                                        I start.