Re: [SCA-JML] Late Heian Men's Clothing & "Jidai Ishou no Nuikata" Patterns

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1 11:37 AM
      A word of warning: the word "hitoe" is like the word "shirt" -- it
      applies to several different garments. In terms of men's clothing, a
      hitoe is mid-length, open-sided, big-sleeved, unlined, stiff, robe worn
      under formal coats like the ho and kariginu; it wouldn't be worn with a
      suikan that I can imagine. You're probably thinking "hitoe" in terms of
      unlined robe thing... it's a girl thing, no? <G>

      Well, like, duh!  I'm just a girl...  ;)

      So "hitoe" doesn't always mean "singlet"?  It actually has more meaning than that when referring to a male garment?  News to me.  I believe you.  You know male stuff isn't my gig...

      Kass
      aka Fujiwara no Aoi
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1 3:23 PM

        > > From the way I read it, it seems as though one should only need to adjust
        >> the measurements to create the proper garment.
        >>

        >Bingo. (Bungo? Echizen?)

        Yes. And make the garment bigger than you think it should be unless
        of course you already know what you are doing. Basically, Japanese
        garments are not "fitted" they are adjusted to the body each time
        they are put on.

        I checked out the "pom poms" and they do appear on adult garments
        as well. The only things you need worry about are size and color
        choice.

        | techie.com, msn.com |
      • C. J. Wallace
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2 11:01 AM
          > Yes. And make the garment bigger than you think it should be unless
          > of course you already know what you are doing. Basically, Japanese
          > garments are not "fitted" they are adjusted to the body each time
          > they are put on.
          >
          > I checked out the "pom poms" and they do appear on adult garments
          > as well. The only things you need worry about are size and color
          > choice.

          Okay, I see. Thank you for your help.

          Sincerely,

          Christopher Wallace