Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [SCA-JML] japanese chain mail

Expand Messages
  • Anthony J. Bryant
    ... Hiya! What you re talking about would have been a yoroi shitagi lined with mail (probably the four-in-one, the most common and economical pattern). This
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2001
      kujika@... wrote:

      > I am looking for information on Japanese chain mail.
      > I know it was used on the arms it was also used in tatami do linking plates
      > and together. However I have heard of rather references of chain mail being
      > used as body armor both under a kimono and on the battlefield. But I am
      > having difficulty documenting it. I am looking for its first appearance on
      > the battlefield. If this can be documented at all?
      > Any help would be appreciated.
      >

      Hiya!

      What you're talking about would have been a yoroi shitagi lined with mail (probably the four-in-one, the most common and economical
      pattern). This wouldn't have been worn in battle as armour; if anything, it was under armour and was an *extra* bit of protection. It
      might also have been worn under clothing by generals who feared an assassination attempt, but again, this is *really* unusual stuff, and
      typically considered "ninja" armour.


      Effingham
    • kujika@aol.com
      ... being ... Hiya! What you re talking about would have been a yoroi shitagi lined with mail (probably the four-in-one, the most common and economical
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2001
        kujika@... wrote:

        > I am looking for information on Japanese chain mail.
        > I know it was used on the arms it was also used in tatami do linking plates
        > and together. However I have heard of rather references of chain mail
        being
        > used as body armor both under a kimono and on the battlefield. But I am
        > having difficulty documenting it. I am looking for its first appearance on
        > the battlefield. If this can be documented at all?
        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >

        Hiya!

        What you're talking about would have been a yoroi shitagi lined with mail
        (probably the four-in-one, the most common and economical
        pattern). This wouldn't have been worn in battle as armour; if anything, it
        was under armour and was an *extra* bit of protection. It
        might also have been worn under clothing by generals who feared an
        assassination attempt, but again, this is *really* unusual stuff, and
        typically considered "ninja" armour.


        Effingham
        >>
        yep I know it was unusal stuff , and there is no dought that the boys in
        black PJ's used it . but when did this show up 1100 1200 1600 1700 2001.
        thats what I am looking for any ideas ? or should I wright some one at
        Ninja U
      • Anthony J. Bryant
        ... There s no evidence of mail-lined garments until literally the end of period. Perhaps with a 25-50 year lifespan. Most of the surviving examples are Edo
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2001
          kujika@... wrote:

          >
          >
          > yep I know it was unusal stuff , and there is no dought that the boys in
          > black PJ's used it . but when did this show up 1100 1200 1600 1700 2001.
          > thats what I am looking for any ideas ? or should I wright some one at
          > Ninja U

          There's no evidence of mail-lined garments until literally the end of period.
          Perhaps with a 25-50 year lifespan.

          Most of the surviving examples are Edo period, and seem to be "nonarmour" -- the
          kind of things you might wear just in case (the Japanese equivalent of a modern
          politician wearing a kevlar t-shirt for a public appearance).


          Effingham
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Baron Edward! Greetings from Solveig! ... What was the use of mail before then? Was mail possibly introduced by the Portugese along with the aquabus. Your
          Message 4 of 6 , May 3, 2001
            Baron Edward!

            Greetings from Solveig!

            >There's no evidence of mail-lined garments until literally the end of period.
            >Perhaps with a 25-50 year lifespan.
            >
            >Most of the surviving examples are Edo period, and seem to be
            >"nonarmour" -- the
            >kind of things you might wear just in case (the Japanese equivalent
            >of a modern
            >politician wearing a kevlar t-shirt for a public appearance).

            What was the use of mail before then? Was mail possibly introduced
            by the Portugese along with the aquabus.

            Your Humble Servant
            Solveig Throndardottir
            Amateur Scholar
            --
            +---------------------------------------------------------------------+
            | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM |
            | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est |
            | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |
            +---------------------------------------------------------------------+
            | Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com |
            | vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com |
            | netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com |
            | com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net |
            | mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com |
            | techie.com, msn.com |
            +---------------------------------------------------------------------+
          • Anthony J. Bryant
            ... Before that, mail was just used to join small plates and provide some surface protection on the expanses between them. Mail was always extra stuff -- it
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2001
              Barbara Nostrand wrote:

              > Baron Edward!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig!
              >
              > >There's no evidence of mail-lined garments until literally the end of period.
              > >Perhaps with a 25-50 year lifespan.
              > >
              > >Most of the surviving examples are Edo period, and seem to be
              > >"nonarmour" -- the
              > >kind of things you might wear just in case (the Japanese equivalent
              > >of a modern
              > >politician wearing a kevlar t-shirt for a public appearance).
              >
              > What was the use of mail before then? Was mail possibly introduced
              > by the Portugese along with the aquabus.
              >

              Before that, mail was just used to join small plates and provide some surface
              protection on the expanses between them. Mail was always "extra stuff" -- it was
              never "the only thing". Not until these kevlar kimono appeared in the 1590s or
              so.

              And they had mail back into the 12th century, though they did learn of
              "international" four-in-one mail from the Portuguese, and it became a popular
              exotic style to use on sleeves and other small panels of dangly things.


              Effingham
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.