Re: [SCA-JML] children at court

    Message 1 of 6 , May 1 6:28 AM
      Andrea Gideon wrote:

      > I'm looking for information regarding non-Imperial children at the Heian
      > court. Would this have happened or would children be raised away from
      > court? At what age would a boy have come to court? I'm also looking
      > for info on clothing. Would children have been dressed like little
      > adults?

      Children would be raised at their mother's home; if of upper-class, the child would be seen to by a wetnurse (the menoto) and raised by
      her; the child develops a strong bond with the nurse, and the nurse's child, called a "breast sibling" in English, typically becomes the
      child's closest friend and confidante. If you've ever read Genji, Lord Koremoto is Genji's breast sib.

      Children typically were neither seen nor heard in any official capacity, being raised as they were in private shadows.

      Young boys and girls wore special clothing until about the age of five when the boy first wears hakama and the girl first wears a mo
      (there are special ceremonies to mark this rite of passage). At the age of c. 12-14, they undergo the genpuku ceremony, where for the
      first time the boy's hair is dressed as an adult's and he wears a court cap and is given his adult name. Until the genpuku, a boy wouldn't
      go to court unless there were some special reason (e.g., he's a relative of the Big Guy, like the son of the Emp's Dad-in-law or
      somesuch), but even then he'd show up only for parties and so on, not for court proper. Even Genji was raised by his mother's family, and
      when the Emp wanted to see him he usually had to send for him or visit.

      Of course, all this really depends on what social class you're talking about, and what period...

      Effingham
    • Andrea Gideon
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1 10:34 AM

        > Young boys and girls wore special clothing until about the age of five when the boy first wears hakama and the girl first wears a mo
        > (there are special ceremonies to mark this rite of passage).

        Are there any pictures of these garments? I'm specifically looking for garb for my 2 year old son. When my husband and I wear Elizabethan,
        he dresses in a little doublet and trunkhose. I would like to make him something Japanese for when we wear Japanese.

        > Of course, all this really depends on what social class you're talking about, and what period...

        Although 10th cent Heian is best, I really don't care. He grows so fast that I generally have to make a new outfit every other month, so
        complete authenticity won't be that imprtant until his growth slows down.

        Nadeshiko
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1 3:27 PM

          Greetings from Solveig! I recollect seeing such clothing. It
          was rather simple in nature. One of the clothes horses will
          probably find pictures for you long before I do, but I will
          keep an eye out for them a well. One of the hardest things to
          do is to find nice Japanese prints. You will probably want
          to get white cloth and dye it yourself.

          | techie.com, msn.com |