Re: [SCA-JML] Fw: Known World A & S - LAST CALL FOR INSTRUCTORS

  • fsjlb4@aurora.uaf.edu
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1 1:14 AM
      On Tue, 1 May 2001, Gara of Lions Gate wrote:

      > I hope you don't mind (oops too late if you do ;) ) but I forwarded your
      > request to the Steps, An Tir's email list. It is short notice, but
      > hopefully there will be some replies as to what classes people would like to
      > attend. I'm kicking myself because I'm in the midst of making the decision
      > to stay in Japan an extra year, and I'm 95% in favor of staying, but that
      > means not only being isolated from the SCA, but also missing KWAS amongst
      > other things.

      STAY IN JAPAN! Sorry, didn't mean to shout <G>.

      Seriously, I felt that way for a while, but once I got back I wished I had
      another year. The SCA will be here when you get back. Also, have you
      tried getting in touch with people in Japan. There is a group in
      Tokyo, I thought.

      If you have a choice, stay. Seriously, stay for as long as you can stand
      it and drink in as much as you can. Then you can come back and share!

      We'll be waiting for you when you do come back. Look forward to seeing
      you at Pennsic one of these days <G>

      -Ii
    • debbie strub
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2 8:20 PM
        Greetings,

        I (perhaps foolishly) volunteered to teach an overview of Japanese
        Costuming. I don't know if it will make it into the schedule because the
        last time I tried to teach it at a smaller costumer's guild event nobody
        signed up. But hopefully I'll be hearing from Marquessa Laurellen soon.
        Unfortunately, I don't know how to read Japanese (yet) and haven't
        been to Japan (yet) but I do the best I can with the English language
        sources I've turned up to date. If my class actually gets scheduled it's
        intended to be an overview of what's out there for benefit of those just
        starting out. I can go into the gory details on an individual basis if
        someone wants more information after the class. Hopefully this will be of
        some help.
        Maybe we need a Knowne Worlde Japanese Symposium?

        YIS,

        Murakami Tsuruko

        At 01:23 AM 5/1/2001 +0900, you wrote:
        >Greetings to Lady Solveig in particular, and to all others in general,
        >
        >I noticed a post of yours mentionning your intent to teach class(es) in
        >Madrone this fall at the KWAS. Just thought I would forward this info in
        >case the fast approaching date had slipped your mind.
        >
        >Gara

      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 8 , May 3 8:41 AM
          Murakami Dono!

          Greeitngs from Solveig! I hope that the KWAS schedule is set up
          in such a way that I can attend your class.! I sent off two
          course proposals. One on food and food culture which is my current
          active research area. The other a general intrdocution to
          Japanese history, culture, &c.

          > Maybe we need a Knowne Worlde Japanese Symposium?

          I believe a Known World Asian Symposium would be of greater
          benefit at the moment. During the classical period, named
          individuals moved to Japan from as far West as Iran. Also,
          some T'ang dynasty art forms are supposed to be better
          preserved in Japan than in China. Consequently, I believe
          that there would be a lot of mutual benefit from an Asiatic
          Conference.

          | techie.com, msn.com |
        • Gara of Lions Gate
          Message 4 of 8 , May 14 7:42 AM
            *Gara belatedly jumps up and down and waves at a fellow An Tirian!!!!*

            I'm sorry, I've been offline for the past couple of weeks... just plugging
            through the thousand+ emails that came through various lists. Bad bad Gara
            kept JML till last I'm afraid... well third to last, since the Northern
            Principality list is talking about the formal of coronet tourneys (very
            little interest), and sca-arts is talking about a variety of subjects which
            are all probably over my head.

            Anyhow, greetings Baroness Tsuruko (it is Baroness right?). I really hope
            that your class gets scheduled, because like I said, I don't recall seeing
            anything Japanese in any Ithra class listings. I honestly think that
            hands-on is the best way to learn, and if there is a class offering
            something people might be interested in, then this is the way for them to
            get involved. I'm dying to get back to "SCA civilization" as we know it, so
            that I'm not learning things solely from my computer.

            In any case, best wishes with your class!

            Gara

            > I (perhaps foolishly) volunteered to teach an overview of
            Japanese
            > Costuming. I don't know if it will make it into the schedule because the
            > last time I tried to teach it at a smaller costumer's guild event nobody
            > signed up. But hopefully I'll be hearing from Marquessa Laurellen soon.
            > Unfortunately, I don't know how to read Japanese (yet) and
            haven't
            > been to Japan (yet) but I do the best I can with the English language
            > sources I've turned up to date. If my class actually gets scheduled it's
            > intended to be an overview of what's out there for benefit of those just
            > starting out. I can go into the gory details on an individual basis if
            > someone wants more information after the class. Hopefully this will be of
            > some help.
            > Maybe we need a Knowne Worlde Japanese Symposium?
            >
            > YIS,
            >
            > Murakami Tsuruko

          • Gara of Lions Gate
            Message 5 of 8 , May 14 7:48 AM
              Greetings Lady Solveig,

              I'm so glad to hear that you got your proposals off! Who knows, maybe I
              will be off this island by then. I can't seem to make up my mind these
              days, at least I have some more time to think about it. I think that
              choosing to go back to N. America vs. staying here and losing my sanity
              might be a very good option, but who knows, maybe I'll have found a way to
              gaman* a little bit more by then.

              In any case, I think both your proposals sound great!

              Gara