Re: [SCA-JML] Fw: Known World A & S - LAST CALL FOR INSTRUCTORS

  • Gara of Lions Gate
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2001
      Greetings Lady Solveig,

      In my opinion, an introductory class on Japanese personas would be
      wonderful. Even though I'm not currently "physically" in An Tir, I always
      read through the Ithra class listings, and have yet to see anything
      Japanese-related. I do know that there are a few people in An Tir that are
      interested in Japan however.

      I hope you don't mind (oops too late if you do ;) ) but I forwarded your
      request to the Steps, An Tir's email list. It is short notice, but
      hopefully there will be some replies as to what classes people would like to
      attend. I'm kicking myself because I'm in the midst of making the decision
      to stay in Japan an extra year, and I'm 95% in favor of staying, but that
      means not only being isolated from the SCA, but also missing KWAS amongst
      other things.

      Looking at your Pennsic list, these are the things that would appeal to me:
      "Japanese Court and Festival Dance", and "Music for the Court and Noh
      Theatre", as well as your Tea Practice class (although green tea, ptooey
      ptooey! *grin* at least I'm at the point where I can drink almost any tea
      people serve me now).

      I hope this helps, and I hope that An Tir and Madrone realize how lucky they
      are to have you teach at KWAS.

      Gara

    • fsjlb4@aurora.uaf.edu
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2001
        On Tue, 1 May 2001, Gara of Lions Gate wrote:

        > I hope you don't mind (oops too late if you do ;) ) but I forwarded your
        > request to the Steps, An Tir's email list. It is short notice, but
        > hopefully there will be some replies as to what classes people would like to
        > attend. I'm kicking myself because I'm in the midst of making the decision
        > to stay in Japan an extra year, and I'm 95% in favor of staying, but that
        > means not only being isolated from the SCA, but also missing KWAS amongst
        > other things.

        STAY IN JAPAN! Sorry, didn't mean to shout <G>.

        Seriously, I felt that way for a while, but once I got back I wished I had
        another year. The SCA will be here when you get back. Also, have you
        tried getting in touch with people in Japan. There is a group in
        Tokyo, I thought.

        If you have a choice, stay. Seriously, stay for as long as you can stand
        it and drink in as much as you can. Then you can come back and share!

        We'll be waiting for you when you do come back. Look forward to seeing
        you at Pennsic one of these days <G>

        -Ii
      • debbie strub
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2001
          Greetings,

          I (perhaps foolishly) volunteered to teach an overview of Japanese
          Costuming. I don't know if it will make it into the schedule because the
          last time I tried to teach it at a smaller costumer's guild event nobody
          signed up. But hopefully I'll be hearing from Marquessa Laurellen soon.
          Unfortunately, I don't know how to read Japanese (yet) and haven't
          been to Japan (yet) but I do the best I can with the English language
          sources I've turned up to date. If my class actually gets scheduled it's
          intended to be an overview of what's out there for benefit of those just
          starting out. I can go into the gory details on an individual basis if
          someone wants more information after the class. Hopefully this will be of
          some help.
          Maybe we need a Knowne Worlde Japanese Symposium?

          YIS,

          Murakami Tsuruko

          At 01:23 AM 5/1/2001 +0900, you wrote:
          >Greetings to Lady Solveig in particular, and to all others in general,
          >
          >I noticed a post of yours mentionning your intent to teach class(es) in
          >Madrone this fall at the KWAS. Just thought I would forward this info in
          >case the fast approaching date had slipped your mind.
          >
          >Gara

        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 8 , May 3, 2001
            Murakami Dono!

            Greeitngs from Solveig! I hope that the KWAS schedule is set up
            in such a way that I can attend your class.! I sent off two
            course proposals. One on food and food culture which is my current
            active research area. The other a general intrdocution to
            Japanese history, culture, &c.

            > Maybe we need a Knowne Worlde Japanese Symposium?

            I believe a Known World Asian Symposium would be of greater
            benefit at the moment. During the classical period, named
            individuals moved to Japan from as far West as Iran. Also,
            some T'ang dynasty art forms are supposed to be better
            preserved in Japan than in China. Consequently, I believe
            that there would be a lot of mutual benefit from an Asiatic
            Conference.

            | techie.com, msn.com |
          • Gara of Lions Gate
            Message 5 of 8 , May 14, 2001
              *Gara belatedly jumps up and down and waves at a fellow An Tirian!!!!*

              I'm sorry, I've been offline for the past couple of weeks... just plugging
              through the thousand+ emails that came through various lists. Bad bad Gara
              kept JML till last I'm afraid... well third to last, since the Northern
              Principality list is talking about the formal of coronet tourneys (very
              little interest), and sca-arts is talking about a variety of subjects which
              are all probably over my head.

              Anyhow, greetings Baroness Tsuruko (it is Baroness right?). I really hope
              that your class gets scheduled, because like I said, I don't recall seeing
              anything Japanese in any Ithra class listings. I honestly think that
              hands-on is the best way to learn, and if there is a class offering
              something people might be interested in, then this is the way for them to
              get involved. I'm dying to get back to "SCA civilization" as we know it, so
              that I'm not learning things solely from my computer.

              In any case, best wishes with your class!

              Gara

              > I (perhaps foolishly) volunteered to teach an overview of
              Japanese
              > Costuming. I don't know if it will make it into the schedule because the
              > last time I tried to teach it at a smaller costumer's guild event nobody
              > signed up. But hopefully I'll be hearing from Marquessa Laurellen soon.
              > Unfortunately, I don't know how to read Japanese (yet) and
              haven't
              > been to Japan (yet) but I do the best I can with the English language
              > sources I've turned up to date. If my class actually gets scheduled it's
              > intended to be an overview of what's out there for benefit of those just
              > starting out. I can go into the gory details on an individual basis if
              > someone wants more information after the class. Hopefully this will be of
              > some help.
              > Maybe we need a Knowne Worlde Japanese Symposium?
              >
              > YIS,
              >
              > Murakami Tsuruko

            • Gara of Lions Gate
              Message 6 of 8 , May 14, 2001
                Greetings Lady Solveig,

                I'm so glad to hear that you got your proposals off! Who knows, maybe I
                will be off this island by then. I can't seem to make up my mind these
                days, at least I have some more time to think about it. I think that
                choosing to go back to N. America vs. staying here and losing my sanity
                might be a very good option, but who knows, maybe I'll have found a way to
                gaman* a little bit more by then.

                In any case, I think both your proposals sound great!

                Gara