japanese chain mail

  • kujika@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2001
      I am looking for information on Japanese chain mail.
      I know it was used on the arms it was also used in tatami do linking plates
      and together. However I have heard of rather references of chain mail being
      used as body armor both under a kimono and on the battlefield. But I am
      having difficulty documenting it. I am looking for its first appearance on
      the battlefield. If this can be documented at all?
      Any help would be appreciated.
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2001
        kujika@... wrote:

        > I am looking for information on Japanese chain mail.
        > I know it was used on the arms it was also used in tatami do linking plates
        > and together. However I have heard of rather references of chain mail being
        > used as body armor both under a kimono and on the battlefield. But I am
        > having difficulty documenting it. I am looking for its first appearance on
        > the battlefield. If this can be documented at all?
        > Any help would be appreciated.

        Hiya!

        What you're talking about would have been a yoroi shitagi lined with mail (probably the four-in-one, the most common and economical
        pattern). This wouldn't have been worn in battle as armour; if anything, it was under armour and was an *extra* bit of protection. It
        might also have been worn under clothing by generals who feared an assassination attempt, but again, this is *really* unusual stuff, and
        typically considered "ninja" armour.

        Effingham
      • kujika@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2001
          kujika@... wrote:

          > I am looking for information on Japanese chain mail.
          > I know it was used on the arms it was also used in tatami do linking plates
          > and together. However I have heard of rather references of chain mail
          being
          > used as body armor both under a kimono and on the battlefield. But I am
          > having difficulty documenting it. I am looking for its first appearance on
          > the battlefield. If this can be documented at all?
          > Any help would be appreciated.

          Hiya!

          What you're talking about would have been a yoroi shitagi lined with mail
          (probably the four-in-one, the most common and economical
          pattern). This wouldn't have been worn in battle as armour; if anything, it
          was under armour and was an *extra* bit of protection. It
          might also have been worn under clothing by generals who feared an
          assassination attempt, but again, this is *really* unusual stuff, and
          typically considered "ninja" armour.

          Effingham

          yep I know it was unusal stuff , and there is no dought that the boys in
          black PJ's used it . but when did this show up 1100 1200 1600 1700 2001.
          thats what I am looking for any ideas ? or should I wright some one at
          Ninja U
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2001
            kujika@... wrote:

            > yep I know it was unusal stuff , and there is no dought that the boys in
            > black PJ's used it . but when did this show up 1100 1200 1600 1700 2001.
            > thats what I am looking for any ideas ? or should I wright some one at
            > Ninja U

            There's no evidence of mail-lined garments until literally the end of period.
            Perhaps with a 25-50 year lifespan.

            Most of the surviving examples are Edo period, and seem to be "nonarmour" -- the
            kind of things you might wear just in case (the Japanese equivalent of a modern
            politician wearing a kevlar t-shirt for a public appearance).

            Effingham
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 6 , May 3, 2001
              Baron Edward!

              Greetings from Solveig!

              >There's no evidence of mail-lined garments until literally the end of period.
              >Perhaps with a 25-50 year lifespan.
              >
              >Most of the surviving examples are Edo period, and seem to be
              >"nonarmour" -- the
              >kind of things you might wear just in case (the Japanese equivalent
              >of a modern
              >politician wearing a kevlar t-shirt for a public appearance).

              What was the use of mail before then? Was mail possibly introduced
              by the Portugese along with the aquabus.

              | techie.com, msn.com |
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2001
                Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                > Baron Edward!
                >
                > Greetings from Solveig!
                >
                > >There's no evidence of mail-lined garments until literally the end of period.
                > >Perhaps with a 25-50 year lifespan.
                > >
                > >Most of the surviving examples are Edo period, and seem to be
                > >"nonarmour" -- the
                > >kind of things you might wear just in case (the Japanese equivalent
                > >of a modern
                > >politician wearing a kevlar t-shirt for a public appearance).
                >
                > What was the use of mail before then? Was mail possibly introduced
                > by the Portugese along with the aquabus.

                Before that, mail was just used to join small plates and provide some surface
                protection on the expanses between them. Mail was always "extra stuff" -- it was
                never "the only thing". Not until these kevlar kimono appeared in the 1590s or
                so.

                And they had mail back into the 12th century, though they did learn of
                "international" four-in-one mail from the Portuguese, and it became a popular
                exotic style to use on sleeves and other small panels of dangly things.