Fw: Known World A & S - LAST CALL FOR INSTRUCTORS

  • Gara of Lions Gate
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 30, 2001
      Greetings to Lady Solveig in particular, and to all others in general,

      I noticed a post of yours mentionning your intent to teach class(es) in
      Madrone this fall at the KWAS. Just thought I would forward this info in
      case the fast approaching date had slipped your mind.

      Gara

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 30, 2001

        Greetings from Solveig! I am proposing a version of my class on
        cooking and food culture as that is what I am currently working
        on and giving talks is a way of 1) propping myself up emotionally
        while working on the project and 2) a source of useful suggestions
        which can improve the final product. If I am going to go all the
        way to Madrone for this, I would just as soon teach several classes
        as teach only one. Do you have any suggestions of good things to
        teach while out there?

        | techie.com, msn.com |
      • Gara of Lions Gate
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 30, 2001
          Greetings Lady Solveig,

          In my opinion, an introductory class on Japanese personas would be
          wonderful. Even though I'm not currently "physically" in An Tir, I always
          read through the Ithra class listings, and have yet to see anything
          Japanese-related. I do know that there are a few people in An Tir that are
          interested in Japan however.

          I hope you don't mind (oops too late if you do ;) ) but I forwarded your
          request to the Steps, An Tir's email list. It is short notice, but
          hopefully there will be some replies as to what classes people would like to
          attend. I'm kicking myself because I'm in the midst of making the decision
          to stay in Japan an extra year, and I'm 95% in favor of staying, but that
          means not only being isolated from the SCA, but also missing KWAS amongst
          other things.

          Looking at your Pennsic list, these are the things that would appeal to me:
          "Japanese Court and Festival Dance", and "Music for the Court and Noh
          Theatre", as well as your Tea Practice class (although green tea, ptooey
          ptooey! *grin* at least I'm at the point where I can drink almost any tea
          people serve me now).

          I hope this helps, and I hope that An Tir and Madrone realize how lucky they
          are to have you teach at KWAS.

          Gara

        • fsjlb4@aurora.uaf.edu
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2001
            On Tue, 1 May 2001, Gara of Lions Gate wrote:

            > I hope you don't mind (oops too late if you do ;) ) but I forwarded your
            > request to the Steps, An Tir's email list. It is short notice, but
            > hopefully there will be some replies as to what classes people would like to
            > attend. I'm kicking myself because I'm in the midst of making the decision
            > to stay in Japan an extra year, and I'm 95% in favor of staying, but that
            > means not only being isolated from the SCA, but also missing KWAS amongst
            > other things.

            STAY IN JAPAN! Sorry, didn't mean to shout <G>.

            Seriously, I felt that way for a while, but once I got back I wished I had
            another year. The SCA will be here when you get back. Also, have you
            tried getting in touch with people in Japan. There is a group in
            Tokyo, I thought.

            If you have a choice, stay. Seriously, stay for as long as you can stand
            it and drink in as much as you can. Then you can come back and share!

            We'll be waiting for you when you do come back. Look forward to seeing
            you at Pennsic one of these days <G>

            -Ii
          • debbie strub
            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2001
              Greetings,

              I (perhaps foolishly) volunteered to teach an overview of Japanese
              Costuming. I don't know if it will make it into the schedule because the
              last time I tried to teach it at a smaller costumer's guild event nobody
              signed up. But hopefully I'll be hearing from Marquessa Laurellen soon.
              Unfortunately, I don't know how to read Japanese (yet) and haven't
              been to Japan (yet) but I do the best I can with the English language
              sources I've turned up to date. If my class actually gets scheduled it's
              intended to be an overview of what's out there for benefit of those just
              starting out. I can go into the gory details on an individual basis if
              someone wants more information after the class. Hopefully this will be of
              some help.
              Maybe we need a Knowne Worlde Japanese Symposium?

              YIS,

              Murakami Tsuruko

              At 01:23 AM 5/1/2001 +0900, you wrote:
              >Greetings to Lady Solveig in particular, and to all others in general,
              >
              >I noticed a post of yours mentionning your intent to teach class(es) in
              >Madrone this fall at the KWAS. Just thought I would forward this info in
              >case the fast approaching date had slipped your mind.
              >
              >Gara

            • Barbara Nostrand
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3, 2001
                Murakami Dono!

                Greeitngs from Solveig! I hope that the KWAS schedule is set up
                in such a way that I can attend your class.! I sent off two
                course proposals. One on food and food culture which is my current
                active research area. The other a general intrdocution to
                Japanese history, culture, &c.

                > Maybe we need a Knowne Worlde Japanese Symposium?

                I believe a Known World Asian Symposium would be of greater
                benefit at the moment. During the classical period, named
                individuals moved to Japan from as far West as Iran. Also,
                some T'ang dynasty art forms are supposed to be better
                preserved in Japan than in China. Consequently, I believe
                that there would be a lot of mutual benefit from an Asiatic
                Conference.

                | techie.com, msn.com |
              • Gara of Lions Gate
                Message 7 of 8 , May 14, 2001
                  *Gara belatedly jumps up and down and waves at a fellow An Tirian!!!!*

                  I'm sorry, I've been offline for the past couple of weeks... just plugging
                  through the thousand+ emails that came through various lists. Bad bad Gara
                  kept JML till last I'm afraid... well third to last, since the Northern
                  Principality list is talking about the formal of coronet tourneys (very
                  little interest), and sca-arts is talking about a variety of subjects which
                  are all probably over my head.

                  Anyhow, greetings Baroness Tsuruko (it is Baroness right?). I really hope
                  that your class gets scheduled, because like I said, I don't recall seeing
                  anything Japanese in any Ithra class listings. I honestly think that
                  hands-on is the best way to learn, and if there is a class offering
                  something people might be interested in, then this is the way for them to
                  get involved. I'm dying to get back to "SCA civilization" as we know it, so
                  that I'm not learning things solely from my computer.

                  In any case, best wishes with your class!

                  Gara

                  > I (perhaps foolishly) volunteered to teach an overview of
                  Japanese
                  > Costuming. I don't know if it will make it into the schedule because the
                  > last time I tried to teach it at a smaller costumer's guild event nobody
                  > signed up. But hopefully I'll be hearing from Marquessa Laurellen soon.
                  > Unfortunately, I don't know how to read Japanese (yet) and
                  haven't
                  > been to Japan (yet) but I do the best I can with the English language
                  > sources I've turned up to date. If my class actually gets scheduled it's
                  > intended to be an overview of what's out there for benefit of those just
                  > starting out. I can go into the gory details on an individual basis if
                  > someone wants more information after the class. Hopefully this will be of
                  > some help.
                  > Maybe we need a Knowne Worlde Japanese Symposium?
                  >
                  > YIS,
                  >
                  > Murakami Tsuruko

                • Gara of Lions Gate
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 14, 2001
                    Greetings Lady Solveig,

                    I'm so glad to hear that you got your proposals off! Who knows, maybe I
                    will be off this island by then. I can't seem to make up my mind these
                    days, at least I have some more time to think about it. I think that
                    choosing to go back to N. America vs. staying here and losing my sanity
                    might be a very good option, but who knows, maybe I'll have found a way to
                    gaman* a little bit more by then.

                    In any case, I think both your proposals sound great!

                    Gara