Pennsic Classes

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 29, 2001
      Pennsic Classes
      Noble Cousins!

      Greetings from Solveig! I recently sent off my class list. Hopefully,
      one or two of these classes will interest you. Although it is now
      very late for adding classes, if you can think of something that I
      might be able to contribute a class for, then please write to me.
      If you have classes that you would like to teach, then please
      send descriptions of them to

              mailto:alysk@... (Dame Alys)

      or if you are interested in using the East Asian
      A&S pavillion to:

              mailto:Stephen.P.Church@... (Master Morien)

      If you have suggestions on how to make my classes better, then
      please write to me:

              mailto:nostrand@...

      >                       Title List

      Title: Elements of Japanese Architecture
      Title: Early Chinese and Japanese Medicine
      Title: The Samurai Chef: Food and Food Culture
      Title: Elements of Japanese Poetry
      Title: Sumo: A Gentle Art
      Title: Introduction to Japanese Names
      Title: Japanese Heraldry & Heraldic Display
      Title: Japanese Court and Festival Dance Workshop
      Title: Music for the Court and Noh Theatre
      Title: Survey of Japanese Literature

      Title: Noh-Kyogen Workshop: Dramatic & Comic Theatre
      Title: Muhekian: The Taste of Tea
      Title: Muhekian: Okeiko - Tea Practice

      >                         Class Information

      Title: ELements of Japanese Architecture
      Length: 1 hour
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: none
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee: none
      Fee Description:
      public buildings and private houses. We will look at the role of
      various buildings in Japanese Society and consider possible
      adaptation of Japanese architecture to encampents in the Society.
      Topics covered include aesthetics and specific design elements
      such as floors, doors, and windows.

      Title: Early Japanese Medicine
      Length: 1 hour
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: none
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee: none
      Fee Description:
      native and Chinese practice including dietary medicine, herbal
      medicine, and accupuncture. Sources will include the earliest
      extant Japanese medical manual which was written entirely in
      Chinese.

      Title: The Samurai Chef: Food and Food Culture
      Length: 1 hour
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: none
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee: none
      Fee Description:
      food culture based upon a variety of literary and
      archeological sources. This year, the class will include
      a number of tecniques and recipes drawn from early sources.
      Participants will be invited to test recipes for a
      forthcoming late period Japanese cookbook.

      Title: Elements of Japanese Poetry
      Length: 1 hour
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: none
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee: none
      Fee Description:
      Includes Japanese poetry from the early classical period to the
      development of Haikai and Haiku. We will consider poth formal poetic
      forms and less formal and even licensious poetry. Participants will
      have an oportunuity to experiment with creating their own poetry.

      Title: Sumo: A Gentle Art
      Length: 1 hour
      Age Limit: 18 years
      Size Limit: none
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee: none
      Fee Description:
      construction of Sumo equipment, training and the rules
      adopted by the Japanese schoolboy Sumo associaton.
      A Sumo Training Camp for those who wish to participate
      in the Japanese Games later at Pennsic.

      Title: Introduction to Japanese Names
      Length: 1 hour
      Age Limit:
      Size Limit:
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee:
      Fee Description:
      Japanese names. Covers the formation of names, the individual
      elements, and overall construction of a name for various roles
      in pre-modern Japanese society. How to use research materials
      to construct and document a pre-modern Japanese name. There
      will also be a brief introduction to Japanese rank and title.

      Title: Japanese Heraldry & Heraldic Display
      Length: 1 hour
      Age Limit:
      Size Limit:
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee:
      Fee Description:
      and aesthetics of Japanese heraldry, followed by an illustrated
      introduction to Japanese heraldic display at home and on the
      battlefield.

      Title: Japanese Court and Festival Dance Workshop
      Length: 2 hours
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: none
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee:
      Fee Description:
      classical and medieval Japan. Includes early sources, contemporary
      folk practice and scholarly opinion on th enature of Japanese dance.
      We will also practice a number of simple Japanese dances.

      Title: Music for the Court and Noh Theatre
      Length: 3 hours
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: none
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee:
      Fee Description:
      the history of classical and medieval Japanese music. Includes
      the relationship to continental forms and the role of music in
      court life and general society. May include some experimentation
      with Japanese drumming. Participants will have an opportunity to
      accompany the performance of a play later during Pennsic week.

      Title: Survey of Japanese Literature
      Length: 1 hours
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: none
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee:
      Fee Description:
      warrior? Come and learn. An overview of Japanese literature from
      its  beginings through the Azuchi-Momoyama period. We will examine
      diaries, poetry collections, histories, stories, and religious
      works. We will see how these illuminate classical and medieval
      Japanese society.

      Title: Noh-Kyoggen Workshop: Japanese Dramatic & Comic Theatre
      Length: 3 hours
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: none
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee: none
      Fee Description:
      Kyogen is the classic comic theatre of Japan. A participatory
      introduction to theatre history and theory, staging, costume,
      props and movement. We will read several play synopsis and at
      least two play texts. Participants will be invited to participate
      in command performance to be staged for Ogami Busho later during
      Pennsic week.

      Title: Muhekian: The Taste of Tea
      Length: 2 hours
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: 10 particpants + 10 observers
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee: $5.00 (optional)
      Fee Description: Pays for Tea, Sweets, *c.
      Come enjoy the taste of tea under the night sky amid refresing
      breezes. Participants will experience a simple tea ceremony.
      Tea is a total aesthetic experience including art and poetry.
      Please wear Japanese or loose-fitting clothing with white socks
      or tabi, do not wear jewelry, and please bring a folding fan if
      you have one. By order of the Taiko, all weapons are left outside
      of the tea room.

      Title: Muhekian: Okeiko - Tea Practice
      Length: 2 hours
      Age Limit: none
      Size Limit: 10 particpants
      Hand-out Fee: $1.00
      Materials Fee: $5.00 (optional)
      Fee Description: Pays for Tea, Sweets, *c.
      This workshop is an introduction to the tea ceremony for those
      who wish to practice tea. Participants will learn how to serve as
      head guest and last guest, assist in the tea room, prepare for
      the tea ceremony, and a few of the elementary motions commonly
      used in performing the tea ceremony. Interested participants will
      have an opportunity to assist in the "Taste of Tea" - Tea Demonstration
      several days later.
    • Markejag@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 4, 2002
        Greetings Everyone,

        Once again the Pennsic War is fast approaching and Clan Yama Kaminari will be
        hosting a Japanese A&S Tent. We plan on running classes from 9 am to 1 pm
        (the rest of the time will be used by the Clan, but special night classes can
        be arranged).
        Anyone interested in participalting and teaching in the Daigakuryo, please
        contact me at Markejag@....

        Hope to see you all at Pennsic,

        Kusunoki Fumio Bun'ami
        Markejag@...

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 6, 2002
          Markejag@... wrote:

          > Greetings Everyone,
          >
          > Once again the Pennsic War is fast approaching and Clan Yama Kaminari will be
          > hosting a Japanese A&S Tent. We plan on running classes from 9 am to 1 pm
          > (the rest of the time will be used by the Clan, but special night classes can
          > be arranged).
          > Anyone interested in participalting and teaching in the Daigakuryo, please
          > contact me at Markejag@....
          >
          > Hope to see you all at Pennsic,

          Greetings!

          So we'd send you the course stuff and you'd send them to Her Nibs for inclusion
          in the Program?

          Effingham
        • Markejag@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 6, 2002
            In a message dated 3/6/2002 8:07:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            ajbryant@... writes:

            > > Greetings Everyone,
            > >
            > > Once again the Pennsic War is fast approaching and Clan Yama Kaminari
            > will be
            > > hosting a Japanese A&S Tent. We plan on running classes from 9 am to 1 pm
            > > (the rest of the time will be used by the Clan, but special night classes
            > can
            > > be arranged).
            > > Anyone interested in participating and teaching in the Daigakuryo, please
            > > contact me at Markejag@....
            > >
            > > Hope to see you all at Pennsic,
            > >

            > Greetings!
            >
            > So we'd send you the course stuff and you'd send them to Her Nibs for
            > inclusion
            > in the Program?
            >
            > Effingham

            Yeah, that's the plan. We want to be able to schedule our own time and let
            those teachers who are "first come, first served" get the pick of what day
            and what time they would like to teach. This was something that Dame Alys
            found rather comforting to know that she had less to worry about, and I think
            Mistress Catriona wants to handle the situation the same way. I plan on
            submitting the teacher information, course information and schedule to Dame
            Catriona by the 15th of April, then let the A&S Coordinator fill in any empty
            time slots. Times will be the same as for the regular A&S schedule, Wed. 8/7
            to Fri. 8/16, from 9 am to 1 pm.

            The Clan has already chosen the daily slots of 1 pm to 3 pm for Taiko
            practice and 3 pm to 5 pm for the Noh drama practice. Also, Tues 8/13 to
            Fri. the 8/16 during the evening are set aside for performances and parties.
            The only other possibility is Lady Solveig, who we are trying to persuade to
            have Chanoyu (Tea ceremony) classes from 9 am to 10 am every day, but this
            has not yet been confirmed. (Class schedule would be something of this sort:
            day 1; a review of Chanoyu history, day 2; positions of host, guest, and
            utensils, day 3; fukusa folding, day 4; chakin (wiping/cleaning cloth)
            folding, etc., etc..)

            For those of you at Pennsic last year, we had ample room to accommodate all
            classes. We had a generator to supply electricity and a homemade screen for
            slide shows and an overhead. Plus there was that huge wooden floor (Noh
            stage), a table and some chairs. Plus some of Edward's "quick and dirty"
            tatami and some zabuton.

            Hope this answered some of your questions. I am open to suggestions,
            comments, and questions to those interested in teaching.

            Bun'ami

          • Markejag@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 7, 2002
              Dear members of the list.

              I just received an e-mail from Dame Catriona, A&S Coordinator for Pennsic.

              She requests that the deadline for submission of A&S Classes in private
              encampments be upgraded to the 15 of April. This is for inclusion in the
              Pennsic 31 A&S Class information section of the Pennsic handout.

              If for some reason you miss this deadline, you can still hold classes in the
              Japanese A&S tent, but your information will not be in the Pennsic Handout
              and it will not be advertised.

              Sorry for the inconvenience.

              Bun'ami

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 8, 2002
                Markejag@... wrote:

                > Yeah, that's the plan. We want to be able to schedule our own time and let
                > those teachers who are "first come, first served" get the pick of what day
                > and what time they would like to teach. This was something that Dame Alys
                > found rather comforting to know that she had less to worry about, and I think
                > Mistress Catriona wants to handle the situation the same way. I plan on
                > submitting the teacher information, course information and schedule to Dame
                > Catriona by the 15th of April, then let the A&S Coordinator fill in any empty
                > time slots. Times will be the same as for the regular A&S schedule, Wed. 8/7
                > to Fri. 8/16, from 9 am to 1 pm.

                Cool.

                Question: will they be supplying chairs this year? I know a few people were not
                that well prepared (or inclined) to sit on the floor, and that's possibly
                problematic. If all of us are Japanese, we can handle it, but Italian Ren or
                Elizabethan aren't the best thing for floor-seating. <G>

                > For those of you at Pennsic last year, we had ample room to accommodate all
                > classes. We had a generator to supply electricity and a homemade screen for
                > slide shows and an overhead. Plus there was that huge wooden floor (Noh
                > stage), a table and some chairs. Plus some of Edward's "quick and dirty"
                > tatami and some zabuton.

                Great, I'll bring the slides again! Cowabunga!

                EffingexcitedaboutPennsic
              • Elaine Koogler
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 10, 2002
                  And it's not always just those of us who are not dressed in Japanese garb...there are a few of us old folks who just can't get down onto the floor with any hopes of easily being able to get back up again! I couldn't even kneel when they gave me my Laurel...my knees are in a very bad way.

                  Kiri
                  > Yeah, that's the plan. We want to be able to schedule our own time and let
                  > those teachers who are "first come, first served" get the pick of what day
                  > and what time they would like to teach. This was something that Dame Alys
                  > found rather comforting to know that she had less to worry about, and I think
                  > Mistress Catriona wants to handle the situation the same way. I plan on
                  > submitting the teacher information, course information and schedule to Dame
                  > Catriona by the 15th of April, then let the A&S Coordinator fill in any empty
                  > time slots. Times will be the same as for the regular A&S schedule, Wed. 8/7
                  > to Fri. 8/16, from 9 am to 1 pm.

                  Cool.

                  Question: will they be supplying chairs this year? I know a few people were not
                  that well prepared (or inclined) to sit on the floor, and that's possibly
                  problematic. If all of us are Japanese, we can handle it, but Italian Ren or
                  Elizabethan aren't the best thing for floor-seating. <G>

                  > For those of you at Pennsic last year, we had ample room to accommodate all
                  > classes. We had a generator to supply electricity and a homemade screen for
                  > slide shows and an overhead. Plus there was that huge wooden floor (Noh
                  > stage), a table and some chairs. Plus some of Edward's "quick and dirty"
                  > tatami and some zabuton.

                  Great, I'll bring the slides again! Cowabunga!

                  EffingexcitedaboutPennsic

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • Markejag@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 10, 2002
                    Kiri,

                    Not to worry, we usually grab extra chairs from the Clans Pavilion (like
                    Edward's camp recliner :-)
                    We hope to have some more folding chairs this year.

                    Bun'ami

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 11, 2002
                      OK. I am, as of this point, putting in an advance reservation for the camp recliner! I don't think Edward will mind...will you???? After all, I'm probably the group's resident Senior Citizen.

                      Kiri
                      Not to worry, we usually grab extra chairs from the Clans Pavilion (like
                      Edward's camp recliner :-)
                      We hope to have some more folding chairs this year.

                      Bun'ami

                      > And it's not always just those of us who are not dressed in Japanese
                      > garb...there are a few of us old folks who just can't get down onto the
                      > floor with any hopes of easily being able to get back up again! I couldn't
                      > even kneel when they gave me my Laurel...my knees are in a very bad way.
                      >
                      > Kiri

                    • Colban Silver
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 21, 2002
                        Ii,

                        Please send me the information about the classes you taught at pennsic.
                        Domo arigatou.

                        Tomomitsu

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 21, 2002
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=900187853
                          Legit?
                          Alcyoneus/Kondei Ichimusai Niten

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 22, 2002
                            > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=900187853
                            > Legit?
                            > Alcyoneus/Kondei Ichimusai Niten

                            Well, it is legitimately a piece of steel ^_^
                            However, there us no signature, no traditional wrappings, the "tang" looks
                            to be welded onto the blade, as does the tsuba (guard piece). The blade is
                            covered with blemishes, there are 3 mekugi-ana (post holes), etc, etc.
                            It's not worth much, however it is 5ft long, which means it is technically a
                            "nodachi". Which I've been trying to find a replica of, but this one looks
                            like one of the mass produced tourist trap swords from the late 40s and 50s.
                            I had found a website that sold replica nodachi... but the month later their
                            site was gone and their number disconnecte heh. :/
                            You can bet that there is no hamon... hidden or otherwise. The only thing
                            "samurai sword" about this is it's shape.
                            As far as this sword goes, you would be better off having a machine shop or
                            a person you know cut some steel stock into the shape of a katana.
                            I, personally, would not pay more than $50 for this, including shipping.

                            If I sound demeanative, please don't take it personally, it just frustraits
                            me when companies/people post stuff like this as "samurai sword" and etc. :(
                            It is folks like that who make the whole business of collecting or even
                            admiring geniune samurai swords a difficault one.

                            I recently had the honor to hold and SWING a genuine Nagamitsu (though I do
                            not recall now if it was the original Nagamitsu, or his son's, either way
                            very nice) blade that a friend of mine ackwired... and my goodness, the
                            balance as a cutting blade is outstanding... makes my blades look like
                            butter knives... then he put it back into his air tightened vault hehe.

                            Humbly,
                            Ash
                          • Minamoto no Taikawa Saiaiko
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 22, 2004
                              I will definitely be at the Samurai Chef class, it sounds yummy!
                              (Please excuse me though, the image of John Belushi with a katana
                              keeps popping up in my brain.) ;)

                              Since we are talking about classes, I would like to throw my two
                              cents in about Pennsic education this summer:

                              In honor of the art of warfare, my fellow presenters and I are
                              offering a demonstration on the techniques of prisoner restraint in
                              medieval Japan.

                              Title of Class- Hojojutsu: Prisoner Restraint in Medieval Japan
                              Description- A demonstration of period prisoner restraint, including
                              different levels of severity, binding as torture for interrogation,
                              and the social ramifications of captivity.

                              I hope to present this class on the Monday or Tuesday of War Week in
                              the evening. It has been a great deal of fun researching and
                              putting this class together, and I hope many of you will come and
                              share our enthusiasm!

                              ~ Minamoto no Taikawa