"I appologize for my rudeness, allow me to introduce myself..."

  • Orion_Phoenix@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 28, 2001
      My name is Urufu Tenzo. I'm very lucky to have found this place only
      six days after deciding on a japanese persona in the SCA :). From what
      I've seen thus far I'm going to learn alot! I look forward to it. I
      have one question to start; I've done a little sewing but it's all
      been self taught looking at things and copying them. I've looked at
      the patterns here and elsewhere and I can understand most of it till
      about half way through where I feel I need to see an example in front
      of me. Is there any more detailed patterns or intructions? Any
      suggestions or explanations would be Greatly appreciated. I look
      forward to getting to know any and/or all of you :).

      *bow*
    • fsjlb4@aurora.uaf.edu
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 29, 2001
        On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 Orion_Phoenix@... wrote:

        > My name is Urufu Tenzo. I'm very lucky to have found this place only
        > six days after deciding on a japanese persona in the SCA :).

        Omedetou! Gambarimashou!*

        > From what I've seen thus far I'm going to learn alot! I look forward
        > to it. I have one question to start; I've done a little sewing but
        > it's all been self taught looking at things and copying them. I've
        > looked at the patterns here and elsewhere and I can understand most of
        > it till about half way through where I feel I need to see an example
        > in front of me. Is there any more detailed patterns or intructions?

        What patterns are you using at the moment? Hiraizumi-dono (aka Baron
        Edward of Effingham) has put some files in the Yahoo!groups files section;
        are those what you are using?

        Where are you getting stuck, that might help?

        Grrr, I need some free time. Unless anyone else is currently working on
        it, I want a site that shows what pathetic pieces of garb I've made and
        how so that men can have something at least aspiring to Fujiwara-hime's
        site on Heian garb.

        > Any suggestions or explanations would be Greatly appreciated. I look
        > forward to getting to know any and/or all of you :).

        Hajimemashite! Sessha ha Ii to moushimasu. Douzo yoroshiku
        onegaishimasu!**

        This is a great bunch of people here, with various specialties and all
        willing to help. You wouldn't be making it to Pennsic this year, would
        you? I think a lot of us are trying to get together at some point during
        the war.

        Anyhow, welcome, and please don't be shy about asking anything.

        -Ii

        *Congratulations! Let's keep it up!

        **[Greetings] for the first time! I am called Ii. May our future
        relations be pleasant!

        PS: Knowing Japanese is NOT a requirement of this list or of having a
        Japanese persona; it is very useful you'll find if you want to to study,
        however, as most of the best sources are in Japanese (funny thing, that)
        <W>. If you do like to use Japanese, however, try to remember that not
        everyone does and translate. Likewise, if you don't understand what
        someone has said, feel free to ask for a translation.
      • fsjlb4@aurora.uaf.edu
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 29, 2001
          Okay, I'm trying to put together a database of names in Japan, and for
          that I need to know which elements there were and what they were called.
          I already know of:

          Surname/Family Name: The person's family (Oda, Ii, Tokugawa, etc.)

          Clan name: Name of the larger clan organization (Minamoto, Taira, etc.)

          For Men:
          Zokumyou/Yobina: Personal name (Saburou, Takechiyo, etc.)
          Nanori: Famous name (Nobunaga, Naomasa, Ieyasu, etc.)

          Buddhist names: (Kenshin, Kanami, etc.)
          Christian names: (Francisco, Gracia, Maria, etc.)

          What is a religious moniker called?

          As for women, they usually have only one name, it seems; is this a yobina
          or what is it called?

          Am I forgetting other naming elements?

          -Ii
        • Kass McGann
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 30, 2001
            Grrr, I need some free time.  Unless anyone else is currently working on
            it, I want a site that shows what pathetic pieces of garb I've made and
            how so that men can have something at least aspiring to Fujiwara-hime's
            site on Heian garb.

            Ii-dono (and Christopher),

            I'm actually planning on putting patterns for men's clothing and women's clothing from the earliest period up to the beginning of the Tokugawa hegemony on my site (www.reconstructinghistory.com/japanese/).  It's in the works currently.  It's just going to take some time to get it all ironed out, as you can well imagine...

            Kass
            aka Fujiwara no Aoi

          • Orion_Phoenix@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2001
              --- In sca-jml@y..., <fsjlb4@a...> wrote:
              > On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 Orion_Phoenix@h... wrote:
              >
              > > My name is Urufu Tenzo. I'm very lucky to have found this place
              only
              > > six days after deciding on a japanese persona in the SCA :).
              >
              > Omedetou! Gambarimashou!*
              >
              > > From what I've seen thus far I'm going to learn alot! I look
              forward
              > > to it. I have one question to start; I've done a little sewing but
              > > it's all been self taught looking at things and copying them. I've
              > > looked at the patterns here and elsewhere and I can understand
              most of
              > > it till about half way through where I feel I need to see an
              example
              > > in front of me. Is there any more detailed patterns or
              intructions?

              > What patterns are you using at the moment? Hiraizumi-dono (aka
              Baron
              > Edward of Effingham) has put some files in the Yahoo!groups files
              section;
              > are those what you are using?
              >
              > Where are you getting stuck, that might help?

              I'm looking at the ones in "files" and this
              one:http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/japanese/Jap123s.html On this
              one I'm stuck halfway thru, the ones in "files" are quite confusing to
              a sewing amature like me.

              > Grrr, I need some free time. Unless anyone else is currently
              working on
              > it, I want a site that shows what pathetic pieces of garb I've made
              and
              > how so that men can have something at least aspiring to
              Fujiwara-hime's
              > site on Heian garb.
              >
              > > Any suggestions or explanations would be Greatly appreciated. I
              look
              > > forward to getting to know any and/or all of you :).
              >
              > Hajimemashite! Sessha ha Ii to moushimasu. Douzo yoroshiku
              > onegaishimasu!**
              >
              > This is a great bunch of people here, with various specialties and
              all
              > willing to help. You wouldn't be making it to Pennsic this year,
              would
              > you?

              I'm going to try and be there, we'll see :).

              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2001
                I'm looking at the ones in "files" and this
                one:http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/japanese/Jap123s.html On this
                one I'm stuck halfway thru, the ones in "files" are quite confusing to
                a sewing amature like me.

                Tell me exactly where you are stuck with the one on Reconstructing History.  Then I can help you.

                Kass/Fujiwara
              • Barbara Nostrand
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2001
                  Re: [SCA-JML] Re: "I appologize for my rudeness, allow
                  Noble Cousins!

                  Greetings from Solveig! Why are there two mailing lists when the bulk of
                  traffic seems to originate with many of the same people?

                  +-------------------------------------------------------------------- >-+
                  | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.         | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM       |
                  | deMoivre Institute           >    | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est      |
                  | mailto:nostrand@...         | mailto:bnostran@...      |
                  +-------------------------------------------------------------------- >-+
                  | Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com  |
                  |            >       vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com           |
                  |            >       netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com  |
                  |            >       com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net         |
                  |            >       mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com      |
                  |            >       techie.com, msn.com           >                       |
                  +-------------------------------------------------------------------- >-+
                • Orion_Phoenix@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2001
                    --- In sca-jml@y..., "Kass McGann" <historian@r...> wrote:
                    > I'm looking at the ones in "files" and this
                    > one:http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/japanese/Jap123s.html On
                    this
                    > one I'm stuck halfway thru, the ones in "files" are quite confusing
                    > a sewing amature like me.
                    > >>>>
                    > Tell me exactly where you are stuck with the one on Reconstructing
                    History. Then I can help you.

                    > Kass/Fujiwara

                    I'm a little confused at the "Make a fist and measure around the
                    widest part. This is how big your sleeve opening needs to be. Add an
                    inch or two to this measurement. Sew up the front of the sleeve from
                    the bottom to this measurement away from the top. The back of the
                    sleeve should not be closed nor sewn to the body." and I'm completely
                    lost on the collar.
                  • Barbara Nostrand
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 7, 2001
                      Noble Cousin!

                      Greetings from Solveig! You said to remind you about my
                      unworthy pamphlet. You can purchase a copy from Lord
                      Alban St. Alabans at:

                      mailto:alban@...

                      You can also ask your interlibrary loan librarian to
                      borrow a copy of the thing for you through OCLC. I do
                      hope that you will not be greatly dissappointed by my
                      modest work. If you are, then you should try to obtain
                      a copy of Japanese Names and How to Read Them by Koop
                      and Inada. Other works are of course available in
                      Japanese. Regardless, I do hope that you will at least
                      take a look at my pamphlet.

                      | techie.com, msn.com |