Japanese Tourney

  • Silence
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 26, 2001
      Greetings,

      With regards to the Japanese Tourney at Pennsic....several friends have
      expressed interest in fighting, I've offered to help them with the armor
      requirement. However, does the armor requirement extend to helms as well?

      Simplified version...

      Is a Japanese style helm required to compete in the Japanese Tourney at
      Pennsic? =)

      Respectfully,

      Tachibana Ukyo Seiryu
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 26, 2001
        Silence wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > With regards to the Japanese Tourney at Pennsic....several friends have
        > expressed interest in fighting, I've offered to help them with the armor
        > requirement. However, does the armor requirement extend to helms as well?
        >
        > Simplified version...
        >
        > Is a Japanese style helm required to compete in the Japanese Tourney at
        > Pennsic? =)

        Yes. <G>

        Effingham
      • Munson, Eric
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 26, 2001
          > ----------
          > From: Anthony J. Bryant
          > Silence wrote:
          >
          > > Greetings,
          > >
          > > With regards to the Japanese Tourney at Pennsic....several friends have
          > > expressed interest in fighting, I've offered to help them with the armor
          > > requirement. However, does the armor requirement extend to helms as
          > well?
          > >
          > > Simplified version...
          > >
          > > Is a Japanese style helm required to compete in the Japanese Tourney at
          > > Pennsic? =)
          >
          > Yes. <G>
          >

          > Effingham

          Not even if they do the monk cowl head wrap thing?
          My ward has a basinet to which we attached plastic shikoro. It was our only
          option for a Japanese-looking helm. Is he out since it is not all metal?

          I guess I am suggesting you hash out the wording for the tourney
          announcement and any rules of which you'll need to inform participants.

          - mokurai
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 26, 2001
            "Munson, Eric" wrote:

            > Not even if they do the monk cowl head wrap thing?

            Ah, cosmetics are acceptable, of course. <G>

            > My ward has a basinet to which we attached plastic shikoro. It was our only
            > option for a Japanese-looking helm. Is he out since it is not all metal?

            Not at all. I expect I'll be seeing lots of plastic.

            > I guess I am suggesting you hash out the wording for the tourney
            > announcement and any rules of which you'll need to inform participants.

            I will definitely be doing that in the next week. This was more of a heads-up type of thing.

            Effingham
          • fsjlb4@aurora.uaf.edu
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 26, 2001
              On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

              > > Is a Japanese style helm required to compete in the Japanese Tourney at
              > > Pennsic? =)
              >
              > Yes. <G>

              For those of us currently without the resources to make a helm, could you
              suggest a place from which one might be purchased? I can gather the money
              for one, just not the rest of the stuff to put one together.

              -Ii
            • michael A
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 27, 2001
                I hope no one minds this quick intrusion.

                just wanted to let my friends know, a new young
                samurai has joined us.
                Our son was born 4/26 at 8:01. Hes a wopping 9lb
                14ozs/ 21 inches and doing well. Bonnie is recovering
                at the hospital from the required csection and also
                doing well.

                we are naming him
                Orion michaelson phillip arndt
                im still pondering his true japanese name ;).

                Take care all
                kiyohara & Avelina

                http://auctions.yahoo.com/
              • Andrea Gideon
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 28, 2001
                  michael A wrote:

                  > I hope no one minds this quick intrusion.
                  >
                  > just wanted to let my friends know, a new young
                  > samurai has joined us.

                  Congratulations!!!
                  Let me know if your wife needs ideas for nursing garb. I have made discrete nursing clothes for myself (Elizabethan) as well as many
                  friends doing many different times and places and have tons of patterns.
                  Nadeshiko

                  > Our son was born 4/26 at 8:01. Hes a wopping 9lb
                  > 14ozs/ 21 inches and doing well. Bonnie is recovering
                  > at the hospital from the required csection and also
                  > doing well.
                  >
                  > we are naming him
                  > Orion michaelson phillip arndt
                  > im still pondering his true japanese name ;).
                  >
                  > Take care all
                  > kiyohara & Avelina
                • Barbara Nostrand
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 28, 2001

                    Greetings from Solveig! Congratulations! I understand that
                    folks are talking about baby care and feeding. The pictures
                    that I have available suggest that the Japanese were not
                    particularly squeemish about breast-feeding babies. One
                    other thing of note, Japanese carry babies, old people,
                    injured people, &al on their backs facing forward.

                    | techie.com, msn.com |
                  • Andrea Gideon
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 29, 2001
                      Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                      > Noble Cousins!
                      > The pictures
                      > that I have available suggest that the Japanese were not
                      > particularly squeemish about breast-feeding babies. One
                      > other thing of note, Japanese carry babies, old people,
                      > injured people, &al on their backs facing forward.
                      >
                      > Your Humble Servant
                      > Solveig Throndardottir

                      This can be done very easily with a modern sling, althought the first couple times you try it, you should have a second person there to
                      help. When my son was 6 weeks old, I was so frustrated with not being able to clean the house while carrying my baby in a sling on my
                      chest. The Korean grandma from the downstairs apartment showed me how to wear him on my back. About the whole breastfeeding issue,
                      although in period (for the whole SCA scope of time and place)it was a very natural act, it is not today. Even at events where most
                      people are more likely accepting to other people's lifestyles, women are told to hide themselves in a corner while feeding their children.

                      Andrea
                    • Nate Ledbetter
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 29, 2001
                        Shin-goryoushin ni *to the new parents*

                        Omedetou!!! Congratulations!!! That's wonderful news,
                        and I send best wishes!!!

                        Shonaigawa

                        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 1, 2001
                          michael A wrote:

                          > I hope no one minds this quick intrusion.
                          >
                          > just wanted to let my friends know, a new young
                          > samurai has joined us.
                          > Our son was born 4/26 at 8:01. Hes a wopping 9lb
                          > 14ozs/ 21 inches and doing well. Bonnie is recovering
                          > at the hospital from the required csection and also
                          > doing well.

                          Omedetou!!

                          > we are naming him
                          > Orion michaelson phillip arndt
                          > im still pondering his true japanese name ;).

                          Any reason you went with Orion?

                          (So sue me; I'm a herald. <G>)

                          Effingham
                        • michael A
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 4, 2001
                            > michael A wrote:
                            >
                            > > I hope no one minds this quick intrusion.
                            > >
                            > > just wanted to let my friends know, a new young
                            > > samurai has joined us.
                            > > Our son was born 4/26 at 8:01. Hes a wopping 9lb
                            > > 14ozs/ 21 inches and doing well. Bonnie is
                            > recovering
                            > > at the hospital from the required csection and
                            > also
                            > > doing well.
                            > >

                            > Omedetou!!
                            >

                            > > we are naming him
                            > > Orion michaelson phillip arndt
                            > > im still pondering his true japanese name ;).
                            >
                            > Any reason you went with Orion?

                            Hmmm too many nights spent gazing into the night
                            sky????
                            Seriously, both of us are fond of the constellation
                            and we thought it was unusual without being quirky.
                            Plus we thought it sounded pretty cool with the rest
                            of his name.

                            > (So sue me; I'm a herald. <G>)

                            which leads me to my next point.
                            im fairly famnilar with adult japanese naming
                            conventions,but for adults. What is the structure for
                            a newborn??
                            --kiyohara

                            http://auctions.yahoo.com/