RE: [SCA-JML] Enkai at Pennsic

  • Munson, Eric
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2001
      > ----------
      > From: Barbara Nostrand
      > Noble Cousins!
      >
      > Would people be interested in having a Japanese dinner at Pennsic?
      > If so, when would people like to do it? How do you think it should
      > be organized? Where do you think it sould be held?
      >
      > Your Humble Servant
      > Solveig Throndardottir
      > Amateur Scholar

      I think it could be fun, but I pity whoever organizes it. I suppose one
      method would be to sort of potluck the ingredients - get together a group of
      interested attendees and have them each volunteer a few ingredients. The
      organizer/cook could collect those ingredients the day of the dinner and
      lead volunteers in preparing the food. However, this requires a lot of trust
      that people bring the items they agree to. The other option is one person
      leads it with a handful of assistants, buys the stuff, foots the bill, and
      then asks for donations. This is how my lady and I have conducted our
      parties in the past and it sort of works. We still bank on taking a
      financial loss. More recently, it has been a camp thing so everyone
      contributes a little money or materials.

      Apart from money and labor, your other big concern will be *when*. Evenings
      can be awfully busy at Pennsic and you will almost certainly be opposite
      some other event/draw.

      - mokurai