White waist ties

  • fsjlb4@aurora.uaf.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2001
      I've been thinking of some alternatives to white waist ties on the hakama
      and have tried looking at various garments and what colors were used when.
      It seems that:

      a) White waist ties were predominately used with a matching
      hitatare-hakama combination. They act as a line of division between the
      upper and lower.

      b) This does not appear to be the case, necessarily, with non-matching or
      some patterned fabrics. In fact, if they are non-matching upper and lower
      garments then the waist ties almost always match the hakama.

      c) Kamishimo appear to use solid waist ties the color of the rest of the
      garment, but I also have seen white stripes painted, dyed, or resisted on
      the fabric of the hakama, and I don't know if this serves the place of
      having white waist ties, instead.

      One hitatare I saw was striped, with waist ties that were of the same
      fabric, and thus oriented perpendicular to the stripes on the rest of the
      fabric. Was this single color often done, or is it done here because the
      perpendicular lines clearly delineate the waist ties on the figure?

      Court clothes are also different from the men's daywear.

      I am looking for more evidence and trying to figure out what I should do
      for my next piece. Also, I'm wondering about ways of 'covering up' the
      waist ties. Could the ties be hidden by a belt of another color? I don't
      know that it is a period practice at all, but I think that it could allow
      someone to recreate a specific garment while still being able to play with
      that particular piece in the SCA.

      Just some thoughts, I'll keep looking at stuff.