[SCA-JML] Understanding

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2000
      Boy, sorry I wasn't on line during this arguement!

      Dear friends, we are all students of Japanese culture. We are all at different levels. But we are
      all teachers too. Every single one of us...

      Just a couple days ago, a gentleman on another list emailed asking if anyone could tell him more
      about sohei. The term sounded familiar to me, but I couldn't think of what it meant. And I
      couldn't find it in any of my dictionaries for some reason. Now, I am conversational fluent in
      modern Japanese. But I don't know everything. None of us do.

      After he emailed back saying "The warrior monks who live on Mt Hiei," I knew exactly what he was
      talking about and could point him to some good sources.

      Some of us (you know, not naming names...) can read Classical Japanese. Some of us only know
      "konichi wa" and "arigato". And that's okay.

      If you don't understand something, please ask. And if you think someone is asking about something
      too elementary, try to remember when you were in his place. None of us came out of the womb
      speaking Japanese. And I don't remember there being a language proficiency requirement to join this
      list. If people are interested enough to say, "What's that mean?" why not answer them. Someday the
      answerer may be asking a question...

      If we help each other, our collective knowledge will grow. And that benefits us all individually
      and as part of the Society.

      Just my two cents,
      Fujiwara no Aoi