Re: [SCA-JML] Shogun/Retainer/etc system.

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2001
      Ash Smith wrote:

      > Well that's just it... I don't know enough about the systems to ask
      > questions :)
      > I'm specifically interesting in the Azuchi-Momoyama period.. as those
      > clothes look the best imo (is that a petty thing to base the decision on?
      > hehe)
      > My Ancient World Civ class never got into Japanese culture, in any detail,
      > just mentioned it in passing.

      Well, the first thing you need to do is find out.

      I'd recommend one of my books as quick'n'dirty introductions to Japanese
      history.

      The Samurai (Osprey Elite #23)
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1855329468/qid=986403702/sr=1-4/ref=sc_b_5/102-1826441-7130513

      The Early Samurai (Osprey Elite #35)
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1855321319/qid=986403702/sr=1-2/ref=sc_b_3/102-1826441-7130513

      You also might want to look at vol. 2 of Sir George Sansom's "History of Japan"
      which covers the 14-16th centuries.

      There are a few bibliographies in our files section; mine has a section on
      history with titles you might want to look at.