Re: [SCA-JML] Patterns?

    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 3 3:31 PM
      Ash Smith wrote:

      > Hello, I'm looking for a pattern for a man's garb... I've got the hakama
      > made, but I need the pattern for a undershirt, kimono, a
      > kataginu, and the other piece.. (starts with an "sh..." ?)
      > I HAD a web pag with all of the patterns and explinations for everything,
      > but I can't for the life of me find it now.

      The "other piece"?

      I can't imagine what that would be. With a kataginu, kosode, and hakama, you
      wouldn't *wear* anything else.

      Have you seen the files section?

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 3 3:45 PM
        Ash Smith wrote:

        > Well I haven't entirely decided, but I'm thinking I want to go with
        > Momoyama period.
        >
        > The piece I was refering to hangs from the shoulders like a shirt, but comes
        > down to the ankles in the back, and to the thighs in the front (that's what
        > the picture looks like anyway :) )

        There are only a few photos up so far, but look at:
        http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo/garb/Garbphotos.html

        It sounds like you're talking about a kariginu, but if you're doing Momoyama,
        you'll probably never need one. In the Momoyama period, the kariginu was the
        most formal of formal wear for very high-ranking samurai.

        Effingham
      • Garry & Constance
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 3 6:15 PM
          Hello all,
          I've checked the files section, and can't get in to some of the PDF files.  It tells me I don't have media player installed?  What's with that?
          Shunzei
          looking for a pattern for a man's garb... I've got the hakama
          > made, but
          I need the pattern for a undershirt, kimono, a
          > kataginu, and the other
          piece.. (starts with an "sh..." ?)

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 5 11:22 AM
            Garry & Constance wrote:

            > Hello all,I've checked the files section, and can't get in to some of
            > the PDF files. It tells me I don't have media player installed?
            > What's with that?

            It sounds weird. There's no media player involved; you need Adobe
            Acrobat Reader.

            If you can access *some* but not *all* the .PDFs, there's a problem on
            your end, as they're all coming through here.

            Do you want me to send you the PDFs directly? Which ones?

            Effingham
          • Ron McAdams
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 8, 2004
              Right now I have some fairly "blah" garb. I really would like
              something with cool patterns (prints) but I can never seem to find
              anything that fits the bill unless its a poly blend or straight poly.

              Any pointers online (or retail)?

              ICHIKAWA no Moromoto
            • makiwara_no_yetsuko
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 8, 2004
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ron McAdams" <rmcadams@c...> wrote:
                > Right now I have some fairly "blah" garb. I really would like
                > something with cool patterns (prints) but I can never seem to find
                > anything that fits the bill unless its a poly blend or straight
                poly.

                > Any pointers online (or retail)?

                Eww, polyester is evil.

                Have you visited the Kyoto Costume Museum's textile gallery at:
                http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/

                It's a good place to get an idea what looks right in terms of period
                Japanese textiles. Unfortunately, what looks right is not what you're
                going to find at your local fabric shop. ;-(
                Most modern prints are Just Too Small.

                If you're at all creatively inclined, you could try block printing on
                solid colored fabric with fabric paints. I've done it with good
                results. You can even make your own stamps by drawing a design on
                corrugated cardboard or foam board and cutting it out. Simple shapes
                like large arrow fletches, well frames, and such wouldn't be hard to
                do - especially if you take an existing design, enlarge it on a
                copier and use that to cut your stamp. And your kosode would look oh
                so Japanese.

                Makiwara
              • tgrcat2001
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 8, 2004
                  Ooo so you might include a couple-three possible designs to blow up
                  in that lovely 'girl clothes for dummies' project you have started?

                  Kita
                  instigator first class ;-)

                  <SNIP>
                  > If you're at all creatively inclined, you could try block printing
                  on
                  > solid colored fabric with fabric paints. I've done it with good
                  > results. You can even make your own stamps by drawing a design on
                  > corrugated cardboard or foam board and cutting it out. Simple
                  shapes
                  > like large arrow fletches, well frames, and such wouldn't be hard
                  > do - especially if you take an existing design, enlarge it on a
                  > copier and use that to cut your stamp. And your kosode would look
                  oh
                  > so Japanese.
                  >
                  > Makiwara
                • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 8, 2004
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "tgrcat2001" <grasse@m...> wrote:
                    > Ooo so you might include a couple-three possible designs to blow up
                    > in that lovely 'girl clothes for dummies' project you have started?

                    Oh, great - more homework. ;->

                    Thanks, Kita-hime. Just what I need.....

                    Makiwara
                  • Elaine Koogler
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 8, 2004
                      Ron McAdams wrote:

                      > Right now I have some fairly "blah" garb. I really would like
                      > something with cool patterns (prints) but I can never seem to find
                      > anything that fits the bill unless its a poly blend or straight poly.
                      >
                      > Any pointers online (or retail)?
                      >
                      > ICHIKAWA no Moromoto

                      Have you checked out the decorator fabrics at your favorite fabric
                      shop? I have found numerous prints there in cotton that work
                      wonderfully well. Also...you know that you can print your own...you can
                      do some really cool stuff with "found objects", carved veggies
                      (potatoes, turnips, carrots), or linoleum blocks! Just make sure you
                      use a good quality paint...I know it's not period, but works--I use
                      artist's acrylic paint that comes in a tube, then thin it slightly with
                      water. When you're done, you can set the color by "spritzering" it with
                      a solution of 1 part white vinegar to 2 parts water, and iron it dry (be
                      sure to put a layer of newspaper and "fuzz-free" fabric/dish towel
                      between the fabric and your ironing board and use a "fuzz-free"
                      dishtowel between the fabric and your iron to protect them from the color.

                      Kiri
                    • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 8, 2004
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@c...> wrote:

                        > Just make sure you
                        > use a good quality paint...I know it's not period, but works--I use
                        > artist's acrylic paint that comes in a tube, then thin it slightly
                        with
                        > water.

                        http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/48477-AA.shtml is the stuff I
                        used to decorate my tent and it was a delight to work with. If anyone
                        is contemplating dyeing or fabric painting, it's worth checking out
                        Dharma Trading's website as they have all sorts of paints and dyes
                        specifically formulated for fabric work. Be sure to read the
                        descriptions thoroughly - dyes that work on cotton and rayon
                        (vegetable fibers) don't necessarily work on silk (animal fiber) and
                        vice versa. Certain dyes require a rinse with vinegar or other
                        mordant to make sure they set and some fabric paints need to be set
                        with a hot iron.

                        That having been said, decorating your own fabric can be a lot of fun.

                        Makiwara
                      • tgrcat2001
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 8, 2004
                          do itashimashita, Makiwara-hime.
                          always happy to be of service ;-)

                          Kita
                          troublemonger first class, hoping I remebered the right phrase here.
                          (shall I plan to hire bodyguards or HIDE at Estrella 05?)

                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "makiwara_no_yetsuko"
                          <makiwara_no_yetsuko@y...> wrote:

                          > Oh, great - more homework. ;->
                          >
                          > Thanks, Kita-hime. Just what I need.....
                          >
                          > Makiwara
                        • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 8, 2004
                            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "tgrcat2001" <grasse@m...> wrote:
                            > do itashimashita, Makiwara-hime.
                            > always happy to be of service ;-)
                            >
                            > Kita
                            > troublemonger first class, hoping I remebered the right phrase
                            here.
                            > (shall I plan to hire bodyguards or HIDE at Estrella 05?)

                            Hime, I eat scarier'n you with wasabi and ginger on top. ;->

                            Makiwara, Curmudgeonly Poetess and Midden Stirrer Extraordinaire
                          • tgrcat2001
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 8, 2004
                              <makiwara_no_yetsuko@y...> wrote:
                              > Hime, I eat scarier'n you with wasabi and ginger on top. ;->
                              >
                              > Makiwara, Curmudgeonly Poetess and Midden Stirrer Extraordinaire

                              Your fair poetry
                              Oh Makiwara-Hime
                              Is blossoms on snow
                              I humbly offer only
                              Fresh hamachi, sliced so thin

                              (unless you prefer unagi? maguro? Ika?)
                              Kita ^^ ~
                              not half the poet, but apparently also in the mood for stirring
                              middens ;-)
                            • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 9, 2004
                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "tgrcat2001" <grasse@m...> wrote:
                                > Your fair poetry
                                > Oh Makiwara-Hime
                                > Is blossoms on snow
                                > I humbly offer only
                                > Fresh hamachi, sliced so thin

                                <Grin> Sashimi: Breakfast of Champions!

                                Not much on ika or unagi, but hamachi, sake or magoro, mmmmm!

                                M.
                              • Matt Lewandowski
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 9, 2004
                                  <snip>

                                  > Message: 3
                                  > Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 17:47:02 -0000
                                  > From: "tgrcat2001" <grasse@...>
                                  > Subject: Re: Patterns?
                                  >
                                  > Ooo so you might include a couple-three possible designs to blow up
                                  > in that lovely 'girl clothes for dummies' project you have started?
                                  >
                                  > Kita
                                  > instigator first class ;-)

                                  <snip>

                                  Makawari-Hime, I told you this would end up opening more cans of
                                  worms<G>

                                  Iwakawa Shiro Yoshimasa
                                • Solveig
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 10, 2004
                                    Ichikawa dono!

                                    Greetings from Solveig! Well, in extremis, you could order from Japan.
                                    For example, a quick search finds:

                                    http://www.nunogatari.co.jp/

                                    Completely with cutsy site name, it is quite Japanese.

                                    For example:

                                    http://www.nunogatari.co.jp/kin/sk14x_uroko.html

                                    is particularly attractive, but is hardly on the cheap.

                                    Here is another store:

                                    http://www.hagireya.com/

                                    For those of you ladies you yearn for hinamatsuri, I happened across this
                                    web page:

                                    http://www2.sen-shu.ne.jp/osie/

                                    Of course, you could go to the extreme of weaving your own:

                                    http://www.kenbido.com/cgi/isaka/template.cgi

                                  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 23, 2005
                                      --- Way back in September, In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "tgrcat2001"
                                      <grasse@m...> wrote:
                                      > Ooo so you might include a couple-three possible designs to blow up
                                      > in that lovely 'girl clothes for dummies' project you have started?

                                      Kita-hime,

                                      Block printing is happening today. I cut out a design using flexi-foam
                                      (they now make it with adhesive backing!) and mounted it on plywood
                                      and I intend to start printing the silk I bought at Twelfth Night today.

                                      Yes, I'm taking pictures and yes, I will share once it's done.

                                      Makiwara
                                    • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 23, 2005
                                        <makiwara_no_yetsuko@y...> wrote:
                                        > Block printing is happening today. I cut out a design using flexi-foam
                                        > (they now make it with adhesive backing!) and mounted it on plywood
                                        > and I intend to start printing the silk I bought at Twelfth Night
                                        > today.

                                        Make that stencilling. A test with the paint and fabric showed that I
                                        wasn't getting a good print with the block. I recut the design into a
                                        stencil using an old manila file folder and have started printing an
                                        arrow design around what will be the bottom hem. The idea for that
                                        particular motif is "stolen" from a dofuku belonging to Toyotomi
                                        Hideyoshi....

                                        Hmm, stencil ought to be dry enough to re-use by now...

                                        Makiwara