Re: [SCA-JML] Pennsic A&S Classes

  • Ash Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2001
      I am pretty sure that bushi were not allowed to wear thier weapons in many
      "royal courts" ... specifically the higher ones.

      For example there was a form of hakama made that was 14ft+ in length, and
      was rolled up and placed between the bushi's calfs and thighs while he
      crawled, to ensure that they had no weapons, and that it would be harder for
      them to ump up and strike.

      $0.02
      --Ash

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2001
        Ahhh, not really "in court" but rather with nice garb. In other words, I
        want a sword that looks good, and not just like a piece of sports equipment.

        Richard until further notice
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2001
          Ash Smith wrote:

          > I am pretty sure that bushi were not allowed to wear thier weapons in many
          > "royal courts" ... specifically the higher ones.

          You have to distinguish what type of court you're talking about. If it's the
          imperial court, most bushi wouldn't even be there. There were, however, palace
          guards and officials, all taken from the ranks of the civil aristocracy, who
          *did* wear swords. But these people were also in palace robes, not
          conventionally mundane ones. Bushi who had court ranks (governors, shogun,
          etc.) had court ranks and of course wore swords.

          If you're talking about daimiate courts, they did wear swords (but only a short
          one).

          A lot depends on *when* you're talking about.

          > For example there was a form of hakama made that was 14ft+ in length, and
          > was rolled up and placed between the bushi's calfs and thighs while he
          > crawled, to ensure that they had no weapons, and that it would be harder for
          > them to ump up and strike.

          Umm... this is a misreading of the size and function of the nagabakama. Which
          is also about 75 years post-period anyway...

          Effingham
        • Ash Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2001
            It wasn't a missreading, if it was not correct then it was a miss-posting
            :))

            --Ash