Re: [SCA-JML] Pennsic A&S Classes

  • Chris Gregory
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3 7:01 AM
      This sounds good... perhaps I'll do less shopping and more classing at my
      second Pennsic (last time I always woke up after my classes began, which is
      saying something about my sleep schedule.)

      I'm especially interested in learning about armour construction, since even
      when I had an English persona I felt Japanese armour was prettier. (Well,
      come on, English 1350 armour is plain compared to the subdued Japanese stuff
      I've seen.)

      PS: What is the average length for a Kamakura-era Tachi, and does anyone
      have pictures of the mounts? I want to make my fighting sword look good
      enough to wear around with my court garb, and I've seen it done with normal
      basket-hilt things.

      Hai!
      Richard Until Further Notice
      --
      "A monk in all seriousness asked Joshu 'Has a dog Buddha-nature or not?'
      Joshu retorted 'Mu!'"
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3 8:00 AM
        I am pretty sure that bushi were not allowed to wear thier weapons in many
        "royal courts" ... specifically the higher ones.

        For example there was a form of hakama made that was 14ft+ in length, and
        was rolled up and placed between the bushi's calfs and thighs while he
        crawled, to ensure that they had no weapons, and that it would be harder for
        them to ump up and strike.

        $0.02
        --Ash

        > This sounds good... perhaps I'll do less shopping and more classing at my
        > second Pennsic (last time I always woke up after my classes began, which
        is
        > saying something about my sleep schedule.)
        >
        > I'm especially interested in learning about armour construction, since
        even
        > when I had an English persona I felt Japanese armour was prettier. (Well,
        > come on, English 1350 armour is plain compared to the subdued Japanese
        stuff
        > I've seen.)
        >
        > PS: What is the average length for a Kamakura-era Tachi, and does anyone
        > have pictures of the mounts? I want to make my fighting sword look good
        > enough to wear around with my court garb, and I've seen it done with
        normal
        > basket-hilt things.
        >
        > Hai!
        > Richard Until Further Notice
        > --
        > "A monk in all seriousness asked Joshu 'Has a dog Buddha-nature or not?'
        > Joshu retorted 'Mu!'"
        > Koan 1, Mumonkan, Wu-men

      • Chris Gregory

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3 4:00 PM
            Ash Smith wrote:

            > I am pretty sure that bushi were not allowed to wear thier weapons in many
            > "royal courts" ... specifically the higher ones.

            You have to distinguish what type of court you're talking about. If it's the
            imperial court, most bushi wouldn't even be there. There were, however, palace
            guards and officials, all taken from the ranks of the civil aristocracy, who
            *did* wear swords. But these people were also in palace robes, not
            conventionally mundane ones. Bushi who had court ranks (governors, shogun,
            etc.) had court ranks and of course wore swords.

            If you're talking about daimiate courts, they did wear swords (but only a short
            one).

            A lot depends on *when* you're talking about.

            > For example there was a form of hakama made that was 14ft+ in length, and
            > was rolled up and placed between the bushi's calfs and thighs while he
            > crawled, to ensure that they had no weapons, and that it would be harder for
            > them to ump up and strike.

            Umm... this is a misreading of the size and function of the nagabakama. Which
            is also about 75 years post-period anyway...

            Effingham
          • Ash Smith
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3 11:08 PM
              It wasn't a missreading, if it was not correct then it was a miss-posting
              :))

              --Ash