Re: [SCA-JML] Patterns?

  • Ash Smith
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 3, 2001
      Well I haven't entirely decided, but I'm thinking I want to go with
      Momoyama period.

      The piece I was refering to hangs from the shoulders like a shirt, but comes
      down to the ankles in the back, and to the thighs in the front (that's what
      the picture looks like anyway :) )

      Thanks,
      Ash

      PS: Thanks, I didn't know there was a files section :)

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 3, 2001
        Ash Smith wrote:

        > Hello, I'm looking for a pattern for a man's garb... I've got the hakama
        > made, but I need the pattern for a undershirt, kimono, a
        > kataginu, and the other piece.. (starts with an "sh..." ?)
        > I HAD a web pag with all of the patterns and explinations for everything,
        > but I can't for the life of me find it now.

        The "other piece"?

        I can't imagine what that would be. With a kataginu, kosode, and hakama, you
        wouldn't *wear* anything else.

        Have you seen the files section?

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 3, 2001
          Ash Smith wrote:

          > Well I haven't entirely decided, but I'm thinking I want to go with
          > Momoyama period.
          >
          > The piece I was refering to hangs from the shoulders like a shirt, but comes
          > down to the ankles in the back, and to the thighs in the front (that's what
          > the picture looks like anyway :) )

          There are only a few photos up so far, but look at:
          http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo/garb/Garbphotos.html

          It sounds like you're talking about a kariginu, but if you're doing Momoyama,
          you'll probably never need one. In the Momoyama period, the kariginu was the
          most formal of formal wear for very high-ranking samurai.

          Effingham
        • Garry & Constance
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 3, 2001
            Hello all,
            I've checked the files section, and can't get in to some of the PDF files.  It tells me I don't have media player installed?  What's with that?
            Shunzei
            looking for a pattern for a man's garb... I've got the hakama
            > made, but
            I need the pattern for a undershirt, kimono, a
            > kataginu, and the other
            piece.. (starts with an "sh..." ?)
            > I HAD a web pag with all of
            the patterns and explinations for everything,
            > but I can't for the life
            of me find it now.

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 5, 2001
              Garry & Constance wrote:

              > Hello all,I've checked the files section, and can't get in to some of
              > the PDF files. It tells me I don't have media player installed?
              > What's with that?

              It sounds weird. There's no media player involved; you need Adobe
              Acrobat Reader.

              If you can access *some* but not *all* the .PDFs, there's a problem on
              your end, as they're all coming through here.

              Do you want me to send you the PDFs directly? Which ones?

              Effingham
            • Ron McAdams
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 8, 2004
                Right now I have some fairly "blah" garb. I really would like
                something with cool patterns (prints) but I can never seem to find
                anything that fits the bill unless its a poly blend or straight poly.

                Any pointers online (or retail)?

                ICHIKAWA no Moromoto
              • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 8, 2004
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ron McAdams" <rmcadams@c...> wrote:
                  > Right now I have some fairly "blah" garb. I really would like
                  > something with cool patterns (prints) but I can never seem to find
                  > anything that fits the bill unless its a poly blend or straight
                  poly.

                  > Any pointers online (or retail)?

                  Eww, polyester is evil.

                  Have you visited the Kyoto Costume Museum's textile gallery at:
                  http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/

                  It's a good place to get an idea what looks right in terms of period
                  Japanese textiles. Unfortunately, what looks right is not what you're
                  going to find at your local fabric shop. ;-(
                  Most modern prints are Just Too Small.

                  If you're at all creatively inclined, you could try block printing on
                  solid colored fabric with fabric paints. I've done it with good
                  results. You can even make your own stamps by drawing a design on
                  corrugated cardboard or foam board and cutting it out. Simple shapes
                  like large arrow fletches, well frames, and such wouldn't be hard to
                  do - especially if you take an existing design, enlarge it on a
                  copier and use that to cut your stamp. And your kosode would look oh
                  so Japanese.

                  Makiwara
                • tgrcat2001
                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 8, 2004
                    Ooo so you might include a couple-three possible designs to blow up
                    in that lovely 'girl clothes for dummies' project you have started?

                    Kita
                    instigator first class ;-)

                    <SNIP>
                    > If you're at all creatively inclined, you could try block printing
                    on
                    > solid colored fabric with fabric paints. I've done it with good
                    > results. You can even make your own stamps by drawing a design on
                    > corrugated cardboard or foam board and cutting it out. Simple
                    shapes
                    > like large arrow fletches, well frames, and such wouldn't be hard
                    > do - especially if you take an existing design, enlarge it on a
                    > copier and use that to cut your stamp. And your kosode would look
                    oh
                    > so Japanese.
                    >
                    > Makiwara
                  • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 8, 2004
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "tgrcat2001" <grasse@m...> wrote:
                      > Ooo so you might include a couple-three possible designs to blow up
                      > in that lovely 'girl clothes for dummies' project you have started?

                      Oh, great - more homework. ;->

                      Thanks, Kita-hime. Just what I need.....

                      Makiwara
                    • Elaine Koogler
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 8, 2004
                        Ron McAdams wrote:

                        > Right now I have some fairly "blah" garb. I really would like
                        > something with cool patterns (prints) but I can never seem to find
                        > anything that fits the bill unless its a poly blend or straight poly.
                        >
                        > Any pointers online (or retail)?
                        >
                        > ICHIKAWA no Moromoto

                        Have you checked out the decorator fabrics at your favorite fabric
                        shop? I have found numerous prints there in cotton that work
                        wonderfully well. Also...you know that you can print your own...you can
                        do some really cool stuff with "found objects", carved veggies
                        (potatoes, turnips, carrots), or linoleum blocks! Just make sure you
                        use a good quality paint...I know it's not period, but works--I use
                        artist's acrylic paint that comes in a tube, then thin it slightly with
                        water. When you're done, you can set the color by "spritzering" it with
                        a solution of 1 part white vinegar to 2 parts water, and iron it dry (be
                        sure to put a layer of newspaper and "fuzz-free" fabric/dish towel
                        between the fabric and your ironing board and use a "fuzz-free"
                        dishtowel between the fabric and your iron to protect them from the color.

                        Kiri
                      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 8, 2004
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@c...> wrote:

                          > Just make sure you
                          > use a good quality paint...I know it's not period, but works--I use
                          > artist's acrylic paint that comes in a tube, then thin it slightly
                          with
                          > water.

                          http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/48477-AA.shtml is the stuff I
                          used to decorate my tent and it was a delight to work with. If anyone
                          is contemplating dyeing or fabric painting, it's worth checking out
                          Dharma Trading's website as they have all sorts of paints and dyes
                          specifically formulated for fabric work. Be sure to read the
                          descriptions thoroughly - dyes that work on cotton and rayon
                          (vegetable fibers) don't necessarily work on silk (animal fiber) and
                          vice versa. Certain dyes require a rinse with vinegar or other
                          mordant to make sure they set and some fabric paints need to be set
                          with a hot iron.

                          That having been said, decorating your own fabric can be a lot of fun.

                          Makiwara
                        • tgrcat2001
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 8, 2004
                            do itashimashita, Makiwara-hime.
                            always happy to be of service ;-)

                            Kita
                            troublemonger first class, hoping I remebered the right phrase here.
                            (shall I plan to hire bodyguards or HIDE at Estrella 05?)

                            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "makiwara_no_yetsuko"
                            <makiwara_no_yetsuko@y...> wrote:

                            > Oh, great - more homework. ;->
                            >
                            > Thanks, Kita-hime. Just what I need.....
                            >
                            > Makiwara
                          • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 8, 2004
                              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "tgrcat2001" <grasse@m...> wrote:
                              > do itashimashita, Makiwara-hime.
                              > always happy to be of service ;-)
                              >
                              > Kita
                              > troublemonger first class, hoping I remebered the right phrase
                              here.
                              > (shall I plan to hire bodyguards or HIDE at Estrella 05?)

                              Hime, I eat scarier'n you with wasabi and ginger on top. ;->

                              Makiwara, Curmudgeonly Poetess and Midden Stirrer Extraordinaire
                            • tgrcat2001
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 8, 2004
                                <makiwara_no_yetsuko@y...> wrote:
                                > Hime, I eat scarier'n you with wasabi and ginger on top. ;->
                                >
                                > Makiwara, Curmudgeonly Poetess and Midden Stirrer Extraordinaire

                                Your fair poetry
                                Oh Makiwara-Hime
                                Is blossoms on snow
                                I humbly offer only
                                Fresh hamachi, sliced so thin

                                (unless you prefer unagi? maguro? Ika?)
                                Kita ^^ ~
                                not half the poet, but apparently also in the mood for stirring
                                middens ;-)
                              • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 9, 2004
                                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "tgrcat2001" <grasse@m...> wrote:
                                  > Your fair poetry
                                  > Oh Makiwara-Hime
                                  > Is blossoms on snow
                                  > I humbly offer only
                                  > Fresh hamachi, sliced so thin

                                  <Grin> Sashimi: Breakfast of Champions!

                                  Not much on ika or unagi, but hamachi, sake or magoro, mmmmm!

                                  M.
                                • Matt Lewandowski
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 9, 2004
                                    <snip>

                                    > Message: 3
                                    > Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 17:47:02 -0000
                                    > From: "tgrcat2001" <grasse@...>
                                    > Subject: Re: Patterns?
                                    >
                                    > Ooo so you might include a couple-three possible designs to blow up
                                    > in that lovely 'girl clothes for dummies' project you have started?
                                    >
                                    > Kita
                                    > instigator first class ;-)

                                    <snip>

                                    Makawari-Hime, I told you this would end up opening more cans of
                                    worms<G>

                                    Iwakawa Shiro Yoshimasa
                                  • Solveig
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 10, 2004
                                      Ichikawa dono!

                                      Greetings from Solveig! Well, in extremis, you could order from Japan.
                                      For example, a quick search finds:

                                      http://www.nunogatari.co.jp/

                                      Completely with cutsy site name, it is quite Japanese.

                                      For example:

                                      http://www.nunogatari.co.jp/kin/sk14x_uroko.html

                                      is particularly attractive, but is hardly on the cheap.

                                      Here is another store:

                                      http://www.hagireya.com/

                                      For those of you ladies you yearn for hinamatsuri, I happened across this
                                      web page:

                                      http://www2.sen-shu.ne.jp/osie/

                                      Of course, you could go to the extreme of weaving your own:

                                      http://www.kenbido.com/cgi/isaka/template.cgi

                                    • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 23, 2005
                                        --- Way back in September, In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "tgrcat2001"
                                        <grasse@m...> wrote:
                                        > Ooo so you might include a couple-three possible designs to blow up
                                        > in that lovely 'girl clothes for dummies' project you have started?

                                        Kita-hime,

                                        Block printing is happening today. I cut out a design using flexi-foam
                                        (they now make it with adhesive backing!) and mounted it on plywood
                                        and I intend to start printing the silk I bought at Twelfth Night today.

                                        Yes, I'm taking pictures and yes, I will share once it's done.

                                        Makiwara
                                      • makiwara_no_yetsuko
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jan 23, 2005
                                          <makiwara_no_yetsuko@y...> wrote:
                                          > Block printing is happening today. I cut out a design using flexi-foam
                                          > (they now make it with adhesive backing!) and mounted it on plywood
                                          > and I intend to start printing the silk I bought at Twelfth Night
                                          > today.

                                          Make that stencilling. A test with the paint and fabric showed that I
                                          wasn't getting a good print with the block. I recut the design into a
                                          stencil using an old manila file folder and have started printing an
                                          arrow design around what will be the bottom hem. The idea for that
                                          particular motif is "stolen" from a dofuku belonging to Toyotomi
                                          Hideyoshi....

                                          Hmm, stencil ought to be dry enough to re-use by now...

                                          Makiwara