New translation project

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2, 2001
      Greetings, all!

      I thought I'd post this amusing bit of info here.

      Those of you who believe in fate may take note of this.

      I've just signed on to translate the third volume in a three-volume history
      of Japan. The first two were translated and published a year or so ago. The
      third volume begins with Oda Nobunaga, and goes to the end of WWII.

      The author was a professor (rather right wing <G>) at Tokyo Imperial
      University, who resigned his position on the day Japan announced surrender
      in 1945.

      His given name is Kiyoshi, and his surname is....

      Hiraizumi.
    • Munson, Eric
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2001
        > ----------
        > From: Anthony J. Bryant
        > Greetings, all!
        >

        > I thought I'd post this amusing bit of info here.
        >
        > Those of you who believe in fate may take note of this.
        >
        > I've just signed on to translate the third volume in a three-volume
        > history
        > of Japan. The first two were translated and published a year or so ago.
        > The
        > third volume begins with Oda Nobunaga, and goes to the end of WWII.
        >
        > The author was a professor (rather right wing <G>) at Tokyo Imperial
        > University, who resigned his position on the day Japan announced surrender
        > in 1945.
        >
        > His given name is Kiyoshi, and his surname is....
        >

        > Hiraizumi.

        ----EeeK! Too weird. Maybe the karma wheel is spinning for you, Effingham -
        I mean - Hiraizumi-meijin - I mean - Mr. Bryant. Just let us know if you
        have any weird para-normal experiences as you work on the text. I can se it
        now.. you sitting alone in a dark dank cell, surrounded by papers, hair
        unkempt and three-inch long finger nails, "Leave me alone! I'm
        Translating!!! You... You Barbarians just don't understand!"

        Or is that what life as a grad student is already like? ; -)

        Seriously, best of luck with the project. Sounds great!

        - mokurai
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2001
          "Munson, Eric" wrote:

          > ----EeeK! Too weird. Maybe the karma wheel is spinning for you, Effingham -

          <grumble> bout bloody time <grumble grumble>

          > I mean - Hiraizumi-meijin - I mean - Mr. Bryant. Just let us know if you
          > have any weird para-normal experiences as you work on the text. I can se it
          > now.. you sitting alone in a dark dank cell, surrounded by papers, hair
          > unkempt and three-inch long finger nails, "Leave me alone! I'm
          > Translating!!! You... You Barbarians just don't understand!"

          LOL!

          > Or is that what life as a grad student is already like? ; -)

          You've pinned that tail square on the donkey's behind!

          > Seriously, best of luck with the project. Sounds great!

          Thank you!

          I appreciate it!

          Effinghiraizumi