Pennsic A&S Classes

  • Stephen Church
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2001
      Greetings everyone!

      Clan Yamakaminari has received offical notice that a Japanese A&S
      Tent at Pennsic XXX will be considered an offical A&S Tent sponsored
      by Clan Yamakaminari. Classes scheduled for the Japanese A&S Tent
      will be posted by the A&S co-ordinator, Dame Alys, and will be listed
      in the Pennsic handout. These classes will be held at at 'private
      camp'. Personnel at the A&S Tent and sign-up area will have
      directions to Clan Yamakaminari for all students.

      Dame Alys has agreed to the Clans request that we, maintain all
      classes and the class schedule. She requested that all the classes we
      schedule be submitted to her by sometime in May, so that we may be
      included in the Pennsic handout and that any addition teachers, who
      want to teach Japanese classes or Oriental studies, will have the
      chance to fill-in any unused time slots.

      I am acting as a 'deputy' for Dame Alys and I am starting to compile
      a class schedule. If you would like to teach in a Japanese
      environment, please contact me with your class request and a short
      description. I will try to accomidate your request.

      The time slot of 3:00pm to 4:30 pm everyday has been set aside for
      Taiko practice (but this can be deleted if you need that time slot,
      like an all day Japanese history class).

      After a couple of weeks, I will forward the schedule to Dame Alys, to
      add any additional classes or overflow.

      Please respond to:

      Kusunoki Fumio Bun-ami, Shokunin for Clan YamaKaminari, OL
      MKA:
      Stephen P Church
      403 Mill Street
      Williamsville NY 14221
      Ph: (716) 839-6566 (5pm to 7 pm, or please leave a short message)
      e-mail: Bun-ami@...

      Thank you for your time and patience.

      Bun-ami
    • Chris Gregory
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2001
        This sounds good... perhaps I'll do less shopping and more classing at my
        second Pennsic (last time I always woke up after my classes began, which is
        saying something about my sleep schedule.)

        I'm especially interested in learning about armour construction, since even
        when I had an English persona I felt Japanese armour was prettier. (Well,
        come on, English 1350 armour is plain compared to the subdued Japanese stuff
        I've seen.)

        PS: What is the average length for a Kamakura-era Tachi, and does anyone
        have pictures of the mounts? I want to make my fighting sword look good
        enough to wear around with my court garb, and I've seen it done with normal
        basket-hilt things.

        Hai!
        Richard Until Further Notice
        --
        "A monk in all seriousness asked Joshu 'Has a dog Buddha-nature or not?'
        Joshu retorted 'Mu!'"
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2001
          I am pretty sure that bushi were not allowed to wear thier weapons in many
          "royal courts" ... specifically the higher ones.

          For example there was a form of hakama made that was 14ft+ in length, and
          was rolled up and placed between the bushi's calfs and thighs while he
          crawled, to ensure that they had no weapons, and that it would be harder for
          them to ump up and strike.

          $0.02
          --Ash

          > This sounds good... perhaps I'll do less shopping and more classing at my
          > second Pennsic (last time I always woke up after my classes began, which
          is
          > saying something about my sleep schedule.)
          >
          > I'm especially interested in learning about armour construction, since
          even
          > when I had an English persona I felt Japanese armour was prettier. (Well,
          > come on, English 1350 armour is plain compared to the subdued Japanese
          stuff
          > I've seen.)
          >
          > PS: What is the average length for a Kamakura-era Tachi, and does anyone
          > have pictures of the mounts? I want to make my fighting sword look good
          > enough to wear around with my court garb, and I've seen it done with
          normal
          > basket-hilt things.
          >
          > Hai!
          > Richard Until Further Notice
          > --
          > "A monk in all seriousness asked Joshu 'Has a dog Buddha-nature or not?'
          > Joshu retorted 'Mu!'"
          > Koan 1, Mumonkan, Wu-men

        • Chris Gregory

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 3, 2001
              Ash Smith wrote:

              > I am pretty sure that bushi were not allowed to wear thier weapons in many
              > "royal courts" ... specifically the higher ones.

              You have to distinguish what type of court you're talking about. If it's the
              imperial court, most bushi wouldn't even be there. There were, however, palace
              guards and officials, all taken from the ranks of the civil aristocracy, who
              *did* wear swords. But these people were also in palace robes, not
              conventionally mundane ones. Bushi who had court ranks (governors, shogun,
              etc.) had court ranks and of course wore swords.

              If you're talking about daimiate courts, they did wear swords (but only a short
              one).

              A lot depends on *when* you're talking about.

              > For example there was a form of hakama made that was 14ft+ in length, and
              > was rolled up and placed between the bushi's calfs and thighs while he
              > crawled, to ensure that they had no weapons, and that it would be harder for
              > them to ump up and strike.

              Umm... this is a misreading of the size and function of the nagabakama. Which
              is also about 75 years post-period anyway...

              Effingham
            • Ash Smith
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3, 2001
                It wasn't a missreading, if it was not correct then it was a miss-posting
                :))

                --Ash