Re: [SCA-JML] Tachi, katana and wakizashi

  • Blkrose@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 2, 2001
      LOL   :0D

      If I knew how to say it in Japanese I would........" You da Man!!"

      Well, I'm trying to think of something that comes across as "studly
      fighter guy" but nothing springs to mind at the moment <wink>.

      A "strong-sounding" surname might be "Yamagata" (mountain-form) or
      "Motoyama" (first/original/basic-mountain).

      Effingham

      I was once told that I should translate "thunder-stick" and take that as a
      name. :0)    Any suggestions?

      Thanks My Friend.

      Theo

      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 3, 2001
        Blkrose@... wrote:

        > LOL :0D
        >
        > If I knew how to say it in Japanese I would........" You da Man!!"

        <G>

        > I was once told that I should translate "thunder-stick" and take that
        > as a
        > name. :0) Any suggestions?

        Not as such, I'm afraid....

        Gotta think about this one.

        Effingham
      • Blkrose@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 3, 2001
          In a message dated 4/3/2001 6:28:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          ajbryant@... writes:

          Gotta think about this one.

          OK, Thanks!
          Theo
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 13, 2001
            Nate Ledbetter wrote:

            > Hiraizumi-dono e moushi agemasu* (or anybody else who
            > knows):
            >
            > I was re-reading through your miscellany section on
            > naming practices and I had a question. You cover the
            > "don'ts" of naming like not using titles such as
            > Naninaniemon and Naninanisuke and Naninaninokami.
            > Gotcha. However, you didn't say anything about
            > Naninanibei....for instance, Takenaka Hanbei, or
            > Kuroda Kanbei, for example. I know that these men had
            > other nanori that aren't typically given as their
            > popularly known names. Does the --bei fall in the same
            > category as the above no-no's?

            Nope, not a bit. Very common name pattern, and not very upper class.