Re: [SCA-JML] Name question

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 1, 2001
      Noble Cousin!

      There is no problem with using your Aunt's maden name provided that it
      is documentably pre-1601. As for Minamoto, why not Minamoto? It is
      a perfectly fine family name. About the only pre-1601 family name that
      you need avoid is Toyotomi.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • Blkrose@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 2, 2001
        LOL   :0D

        If I knew how to say it in Japanese I would........" You da Man!!"

        Well, I'm trying to think of something that comes across as "studly
        fighter guy" but nothing springs to mind at the moment <wink>.

        A "strong-sounding" surname might be "Yamagata" (mountain-form) or
        "Motoyama" (first/original/basic-mountain).

        Effingham

        I was once told that I should translate "thunder-stick" and take that as a
        name. :0)    Any suggestions?

        Thanks My Friend.

        Theo

        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 3, 2001
          Blkrose@... wrote:

          > LOL :0D
          >
          > If I knew how to say it in Japanese I would........" You da Man!!"

          <G>

          > I was once told that I should translate "thunder-stick" and take that
          > as a
          > name. :0) Any suggestions?

          Not as such, I'm afraid....

          Gotta think about this one.

          Effingham
        • Blkrose@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 3, 2001
            In a message dated 4/3/2001 6:28:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            ajbryant@... writes:

            Gotta think about this one.

            OK, Thanks!
            Theo
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 13, 2001
              Nate Ledbetter wrote:

              > Hiraizumi-dono e moushi agemasu* (or anybody else who
              > knows):
              >
              > I was re-reading through your miscellany section on
              > naming practices and I had a question. You cover the
              > "don'ts" of naming like not using titles such as
              > Naninaniemon and Naninanisuke and Naninaninokami.
              > Gotcha. However, you didn't say anything about
              > Naninanibei....for instance, Takenaka Hanbei, or
              > Kuroda Kanbei, for example. I know that these men had
              > other nanori that aren't typically given as their
              > popularly known names. Does the --bei fall in the same
              > category as the above no-no's?

              Nope, not a bit. Very common name pattern, and not very upper class.