Re: [SCA-JML] Name question

    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 31, 2001
      "J. Badgley" wrote:

      > Those are the only truly necessary questions, I would think. Well, and
      > is the name presumptuous would be another.

      When I was in college in Florida, there was a student I met briefly (an
      exchange student or something like that) from Japan whose surname was
      Tokugawa.

      For some odd reason, I envied the hell out him for just that little fact.

      Effingham
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 1, 2001

        There is no problem with using your Aunt's maden name provided that it
        is documentably pre-1601. As for Minamoto, why not Minamoto? It is
        a perfectly fine family name. About the only pre-1601 family name that
        you need avoid is Toyotomi.

        | techie.com, msn.com |
      • Blkrose@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 2, 2001
          LOL   :0D

          If I knew how to say it in Japanese I would........" You da Man!!"

          Well, I'm trying to think of something that comes across as "studly
          fighter guy" but nothing springs to mind at the moment <wink>.

          A "strong-sounding" surname might be "Yamagata" (mountain-form) or
          "Motoyama" (first/original/basic-mountain).

          Effingham

          I was once told that I should translate "thunder-stick" and take that as a
          name. :0)    Any suggestions?

          Thanks My Friend.

          Theo

          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 3, 2001
            Blkrose@... wrote:

            > LOL :0D
            >
            > If I knew how to say it in Japanese I would........" You da Man!!"

            <G>

            > I was once told that I should translate "thunder-stick" and take that
            > as a
            > name. :0) Any suggestions?

            Not as such, I'm afraid....

            Gotta think about this one.

            Effingham
          • Blkrose@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 3, 2001
              In a message dated 4/3/2001 6:28:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              ajbryant@... writes:

              Gotta think about this one.

              OK, Thanks!
              Theo
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 13, 2001
                Nate Ledbetter wrote:

                > Hiraizumi-dono e moushi agemasu* (or anybody else who
                > knows):
                >
                > I was re-reading through your miscellany section on
                > naming practices and I had a question. You cover the
                > "don'ts" of naming like not using titles such as
                > Naninaniemon and Naninanisuke and Naninaninokami.
                > Gotcha. However, you didn't say anything about
                > Naninanibei....for instance, Takenaka Hanbei, or
                > Kuroda Kanbei, for example. I know that these men had
                > other nanori that aren't typically given as their
                > popularly known names. Does the --bei fall in the same
                > category as the above no-no's?

                Nope, not a bit. Very common name pattern, and not very upper class.