Furniture

  • tadatsune@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2001
      Can someone point me in the direction of period chests and arm rests
      (was the rest I saw in Kagemusha period?)

      Thanks
      Tadatsune
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27, 2001

        Greetings from Solveig! What sort of chests are you interested in?
        There are lots
        of different kinds. As for arm rests, Kagemusha is based on events
        that took place
        during the Sengoku period and more specifically around 1573. Kagemusha is a
        jidaigeki movie, so you expect stuff in it to be generally pretty
        accurate. Sorry to
        say that while I have bunches of books about buildings, I don;t seem
        to have anything
        sitting around that discusses furniture.

        Your Humbl eServant

        | techie.com, msn.com |
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 30, 2001
          Thank you for your help Effingham-dono. I'm ready to dive into my tubs of
          fabric and begin some new projects. If you would be so kind as to clarify
          the following two statements I'll be off.... You wrote:
          Only the outer layer(s) is/are the uchiki; the rest are hitoe (literally
          "one-layers") Under it all are the kosode (the white and red garments).
          Only the kosode are belted; the rest hang loose. And that is about full
          length for the lapels.
          http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukusyoku/busou/1.htm How many layers, of uchiki, would
          be considered appropriate for everyday wear? Camping wear? Court wear?
          You could get by with one or two, I think, for all purposes. It really
          depends on what type of "impression" you want. Unless you're trying to be a
          court lady *at* court, you don't need to make yourself crazy. <G>

          You wrote:Ummm... that's "doji" -- young boy. <G> Darn. Guess I was thrown
          off by the delicate hairclip. Which is, btw, what? Hmmm, I'll just have to
          work why I fight into the personna lol You wrote:The sleeves would be
          folded up or worn off (they're only
          attached for a short distance at the shoulderblades)

          http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukusyoku/busou/15.htm

          So they're attached with ties or cording at the shoulder point and a couple
          of inches down front and back from the top?

          No, they're sewn in place, but only for a short distance. Look at the pdf
          file in our files section called something like "Kariginu" for line drawings
          and cutting plans.

          Let me know if I can help otherwise!