Ideals of the Samurai

  • J. Badgley
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 21, 2001
      Does anyone know about this book and how good it is?

      >Ideals of the Samurai : Writings of Japanese Warriors
      >William Scott Wilson (Herausgeber)
      > ISBN: 0897500814

      -Ii
    • schneider
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 21, 2001
        Have you read the Hagakure?
        Pocy
        > Does anyone know about this book and how good it is?
        >
        > >Ideals of the Samurai : Writings of Japanese Warriors
        > >William Scott Wilson (Herausgeber)
        > > ISBN: 0897500814
        >
        > -Ii

      • J. Badgley
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 22, 2001
          On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, schneider wrote:

          > Have you read the Hagakure?
          > Pocy

          No, but I've heard of it. What is it? It sounds intriguing, but I'm not
          sure exactly what it is or when it was written.

          -Ii
        • schneider
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 22, 2001
            Here's the intro to it..
            The author Yamamoto Tsunetomo was a samurai who took the tonsure in 1700 and
            retired to a hermitage near Saga Castle in Kyshu. This was brought about by
            his not being able to follw his lord, Nabeshima Mitsushige, in death, for
            the practice had been prohibited in the 1660s by both the Nabeshima feif and
            the Tokugawa shogunate. Though he had an intrest in poetry from an early
            age, he is not well known for any literary works other than te Hagakure. And
            though a samurai, he never engaged in warfare. The actual writing down of
            the book was done by a younger samurai, who made many visits to talk with
            Yamamoto over a period of seven years.

            An exerpt....
            No matter what it is, there is nothing that canot be done.
            If one manifests the determination, he can move heaven and earth as he
            pleases. But because man is pluckless, he cannot set his mind to it. Moving
            heaven and earth without putting forth effort is simply a matter of
            concentration.

            The book is like a collection of proverbs and wisdom on how to behave and
            act accordingly. It's a good book and one you can read over and over and
            find new things every time you read it.
            Pocy
            > No, but I've heard of it. What is it? It sounds intriguing, but I'm not
            > sure exactly what it is or when it was written.
            >
            > -Ii

          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 22, 2001

              One of the students had the following web page up on his computer at
              the end of the
              lab today.

              http://www.ninjaburger.com

              Please do not use this site for documentation.

              | techie.com, msn.com |
            • Munson, Eric
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2001
                Greetings,

                I'm not sure anyone else made this point, but I'd just like to offer that
                the ideals of the samurai may be found in writings which are not
                specifically by or about samurai. A good percentage of proverbs found in
                things like Hagakure and the Book of Five Rings are distilled or
                re-interpreted axioms from Zen Buddhism, Taoism, Confucius (especially in
                post period) and Sun Tzu (a Taoist, essentially). Personally, I do find some
                useful elements in Hagakure, but I am coming to it from a different
                perspective.

                The "Death thing" does seem to be typical Asian-style hyperbole. Yet, it is
                derived from a very important Buddhist principle we find in other flavors
                through out Japanese culture - that of impermanence. While Japanese do seem
                to have a vein of fatalism in their culture, I think recognizing that death
                is a major part of soldiering is a good dose or reality. (yes, I recognize
                that not all samurai were military men) It's the readers who put the idea up
                on a pedestal who turn it into fatalism. (and yes, I saw Ghost Dog and
                loved it)

                I don't have it or recall the name, but Effingham may be able to tell us
                about the writings of Hojo Soun, who outlined his ideas on leadership and
                success for his sons. It is a period resource for "real samurai thought", I
                think.

                Finally, I tend to doubt the extent to which the samurai internalized their
                ideals anyway. Just look at the history and you find plenty of examples of
                less-than-noble behavior, but that's a topic for another time.

                Ok, let me climb down from this soap box. Hmmmpph. Ah, much better.

                - mokurai