Re: [SCA-JML] hitatare

  • Andrea Gideon
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2001
      > In the Muromachi period, the division into "types" of
      > hitatare appears, in which there are two principal types: those made of silk
      > and those of organic fibers (linen, ramie, etc.).

      Which was more common, or did it depend on the formality of a given situation?

      Giovanna
    • J. Badgley
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8, 2001
        On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

        > Suo: Hakama worn with the suo have waist ties made of the same fabric and
        > pattern as the hakama, unlike those worn with hitatare or suo which have

        Eh? O-kotoba desu ga... "Hakama worn with the suo...unlike those
        worn with hitatare or suo..."? O setsumei nasaimasen ka?*

        -Ii Saburou

        *But a word... Couldn't you please explain?
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2001
          "J. Badgley" wrote:

          > On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
          >
          > > Suo: Hakama worn with the suo have waist ties made of the same fabric and
          > > pattern as the hakama, unlike those worn with hitatare or suo which have
          >
          > Eh? O-kotoba desu ga... "Hakama worn with the suo...unlike those
          > worn with hitatare or suo..."? O setsumei nasaimasen ka?*

          Hey, I *said* it was unedited. <G>

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 8, 2001
            Andrea Gideon wrote:

            > > In the Muromachi period, the division into "types" of
            > > hitatare appears, in which there are two principal types: those made of silk
            > > and those of organic fibers (linen, ramie, etc.).
            >
            > Which was more common, or did it depend on the formality of a given situation?

            Many factors; rank, period, reason....

            Suo are not really typically suitable for court. The daimon would become the
            typical daimyo type courtwear in the Edo period. The hitatare was normal daywear
            for upper class samurai in the Momoyama period, when others were wearing
            kataginu. Daimon were more formal.