You can put your waste-paper baskets back on...

  • Munson, Eric
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2001
      Gassho brothers,

      Some time ago, I commented on this list that Komuso were OOP. In reading up for this monk paper thing, I have found one reference that states that the sect IS in our period.  It was orginally known as the sect of Fuke and tradition assigns it's foundation to Shinchi Kakushin (1207-1298). The sect _did_ attract mainly lay-practioners and later (I assume in Edo times) these included many ronin. The sect was, as a result, discredited by "unruly" members and in Meiji was proscribed. But in SCA period, it seems to have still been legit, if very small. Reference is from "Zen Buddhism: A History vol II, Japan" by Heinrich Dumoulin, 1990.

      - mokurai-bozu