Re: [SCA-JML] amazake exposed?

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 4 1:35 PM

      They may indeed be the lees as you describe them. It is unclear.
      As I wrote earlier, there is a type of omochi candy called Domyoji,
      but Hirano does not give that explanation. Unfortunately, Domyoji
      does not show up in either of my kogojiten. I suppose that I will
      have to break down and buy a copy of the encyclopedic cooking
      dictionary. It may be in there. Someplace, I have a commercial
      Japanese candy cookbook, but I am not sure where it is at the
      moment.

      Yes. Mountain whale can be quite tasty. But, the whale recipes
      are for the kind that swim in the ocean. I also have recipes for
      dog, tanuki, river otter, deer, &c.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 4 5:13 PM

        In amongst recipes for salting down whale and making overnight sushi,
        I found a recipe for Shirokawa Amazake which takes about 3 days during
        the Summer and about 5 days during the Winter. Are you interested in
        that one as well?

        | techie.com, msn.com |
      • wcbooth@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 4 6:30 PM
          --- In sca-jml@y..., Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:
          > Noble Cousin!
          >
          > In amongst recipes for salting down whale and making overnight
          sushi,
          > I found a recipe for Shirokawa Amazake which takes about 3 days
          during
          > the Summer and about 5 days during the Winter. Are you interested in
          > that one as well?

          of course!

          Nobu
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 4 7:28 PM

            I just thought that I would mention that paper bags appear in the food
            preservation section of Ryorimonogatari which puts them back to at
            least 1640. Before you quote me on that one, please let me check the
            original monjo to be sure. But, it looks like we do have paper bags
            available. Just think of the amusement potential. There you are in
            the feast hall and you whip out your paper bag made out of washi.

            | techie.com, msn.com |