Re: noren and amazake was Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Shaved head

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 3, 2001
      Noble Cousins!

      All right. I actually have several sake recipes. (There is a whole
      chapter on sake in Ryorimonogatari.) However, since folks have been
      talking about amazake I will post that recipe.

      Incidentally, this project is reminding me of why I hate J->E dictionaries.

      Wash 1.8 liters of dessicated steamed rice in hot water and place to the
      side. Add 2.7 liters of water to 1.8 liters of koji and grind it well
      in a serated mortar. (Yes. This is what it really says. It says to
      grind it in a suribachi after combining it with water.) Then strain it
      with a suinou (basically a strainer). Put the three ingredients in a
      pot. Simmer the mixture while stirring gently and it will be ready in
      short order. You can also add white sugar.

      The stuff sounds nasty. I should point out that this is in a section
      on "cooking sake". This stuff may not be fit to drink and it may be
      a quick substitute for amazake rather than a way to actually make the
      stuff. The mystery rice ingredient is literally "doumyouji". Hirano
      Masa'aki is the source for this business about how the "dessicated
      steamed rice". Possibly more likely is the fact that "doumyouji" is
      the name for a particular kind of mochi candy. Basically, sweet mochi.
      This explains both the sweetness and possibly some of the grinding.

      If you are reasonably brave, please try this out and tell me what
      becomes of it.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • wcbooth@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001
        --- In sca-jml@y..., Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:
        ~snip~
        > Wash 1.8 liters of dessicated steamed rice in hot water and place
        to the
        > side. Add 2.7 liters of water to 1.8 liters of koji and grind it
        well
        > in a serated mortar. (Yes. This is what it really says. It says to
        > grind it in a suribachi after combining it with water.) Then strain
        it
        > with a suinou (basically a strainer). Put the three ingredients in a
        > pot. Simmer the mixture while stirring gently and it will be ready
        in
        > short order. You can also add white sugar.
        >
        > The stuff sounds nasty. I should point out that this is in a section
        > on "cooking sake". This stuff may not be fit to drink and it may be
        > a quick substitute for amazake rather than a way to actually make
        the
        > stuff. The mystery rice ingredient is literally "doumyouji". Hirano
        > Masa'aki is the source for this business about how the "dessicated
        > steamed rice". Possibly more likely is the fact that "doumyouji" is
        > the name for a particular kind of mochi candy. Basically, sweet
        mochi.
        > This explains both the sweetness and possibly some of the grinding.
        >
        > If you are reasonably brave, please try this out and tell me what
        > becomes of it.

        Solvieg-dono.....

        Thank you for your work... i think that a lot of
        us here will be looking forwards(and starting to gather ingredients
        as we speak) to that, and i am 99.44% sure, that the recipies will be
        tested..... on the subject of Amazake, I have tasted Koji (rice
        attacked by a certain fungus) and i can say, that I know know why
        sake has such a powerfull kick... The koji does one heck of a good
        job at breaking down the starches in the rice... it's verry sweet, if
        you ever try some... so, i think( and i'm just guessing here) that
        the term Doumyouji, is in fact the name of the lees of the sake...
        which, btw, can be used to pickle cucumbers, or fish( am NOT
        attempting the fish... i like myself too much). if anyone can comfirm
        or deny my inferal, please do so... and Solvieg, you are forgetting
        about one thing.... Mountain whale is VERY tasty!!! ;)

        yours in Sake..

        Nobumitsu
        www.angelfire.com/on3/sanazami
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001
          Noble Cousin!

          They may indeed be the lees as you describe them. It is unclear.
          As I wrote earlier, there is a type of omochi candy called Domyoji,
          but Hirano does not give that explanation. Unfortunately, Domyoji
          does not show up in either of my kogojiten. I suppose that I will
          have to break down and buy a copy of the encyclopedic cooking
          dictionary. It may be in there. Someplace, I have a commercial
          Japanese candy cookbook, but I am not sure where it is at the
          moment.

          Yes. Mountain whale can be quite tasty. But, the whale recipes
          are for the kind that swim in the ocean. I also have recipes for
          dog, tanuki, river otter, deer, &c.

          | techie.com, msn.com |
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001
            Noble Cousin!

            In amongst recipes for salting down whale and making overnight sushi,
            I found a recipe for Shirokawa Amazake which takes about 3 days during
            the Summer and about 5 days during the Winter. Are you interested in
            that one as well?

            | techie.com, msn.com |
          • wcbooth@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001
              --- In sca-jml@y..., Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:
              > Noble Cousin!
              >
              > In amongst recipes for salting down whale and making overnight
              sushi,
              > I found a recipe for Shirokawa Amazake which takes about 3 days
              during
              > the Summer and about 5 days during the Winter. Are you interested in
              > that one as well?

              of course!

              Nobu
            • Barbara Nostrand
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001
                Noble Cousins!

                I just thought that I would mention that paper bags appear in the food
                preservation section of Ryorimonogatari which puts them back to at
                least 1640. Before you quote me on that one, please let me check the
                original monjo to be sure. But, it looks like we do have paper bags
                available. Just think of the amusement potential. There you are in
                the feast hall and you whip out your paper bag made out of washi.

                | techie.com, msn.com |