Re: noren and amazake was Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Shaved head

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2001
      wcbooth@... wrote:

      > and i humbly apologise for not getting the names list up yet... there
      > have been various and sundry things happening..... including real life
      > (ugghhh).....

      Oh, yeah, like none of us know about THAT one... oy....
      <G>

      Effingham
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 3, 2001
        Noble Cousins!

        All right. I actually have several sake recipes. (There is a whole
        chapter on sake in Ryorimonogatari.) However, since folks have been
        talking about amazake I will post that recipe.

        Incidentally, this project is reminding me of why I hate J->E dictionaries.

        Wash 1.8 liters of dessicated steamed rice in hot water and place to the
        side. Add 2.7 liters of water to 1.8 liters of koji and grind it well
        in a serated mortar. (Yes. This is what it really says. It says to
        grind it in a suribachi after combining it with water.) Then strain it
        with a suinou (basically a strainer). Put the three ingredients in a
        pot. Simmer the mixture while stirring gently and it will be ready in
        short order. You can also add white sugar.

        The stuff sounds nasty. I should point out that this is in a section
        on "cooking sake". This stuff may not be fit to drink and it may be
        a quick substitute for amazake rather than a way to actually make the
        stuff. The mystery rice ingredient is literally "doumyouji". Hirano
        Masa'aki is the source for this business about how the "dessicated
        steamed rice". Possibly more likely is the fact that "doumyouji" is
        the name for a particular kind of mochi candy. Basically, sweet mochi.
        This explains both the sweetness and possibly some of the grinding.

        If you are reasonably brave, please try this out and tell me what
        becomes of it.

        | techie.com, msn.com |
      • wcbooth@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001
          --- In sca-jml@y..., Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:
          ~snip~
          > Wash 1.8 liters of dessicated steamed rice in hot water and place
          to the
          > side. Add 2.7 liters of water to 1.8 liters of koji and grind it
          well
          > in a serated mortar. (Yes. This is what it really says. It says to
          > grind it in a suribachi after combining it with water.) Then strain
          it
          > with a suinou (basically a strainer). Put the three ingredients in a
          > pot. Simmer the mixture while stirring gently and it will be ready
          in
          > short order. You can also add white sugar.
          >
          > The stuff sounds nasty. I should point out that this is in a section
          > on "cooking sake". This stuff may not be fit to drink and it may be
          > a quick substitute for amazake rather than a way to actually make
          the
          > stuff. The mystery rice ingredient is literally "doumyouji". Hirano
          > Masa'aki is the source for this business about how the "dessicated
          > steamed rice". Possibly more likely is the fact that "doumyouji" is
          > the name for a particular kind of mochi candy. Basically, sweet
          mochi.
          > This explains both the sweetness and possibly some of the grinding.
          >
          > If you are reasonably brave, please try this out and tell me what
          > becomes of it.

          Solvieg-dono.....

          Thank you for your work... i think that a lot of
          us here will be looking forwards(and starting to gather ingredients
          as we speak) to that, and i am 99.44% sure, that the recipies will be
          tested..... on the subject of Amazake, I have tasted Koji (rice
          attacked by a certain fungus) and i can say, that I know know why
          sake has such a powerfull kick... The koji does one heck of a good
          job at breaking down the starches in the rice... it's verry sweet, if
          you ever try some... so, i think( and i'm just guessing here) that
          the term Doumyouji, is in fact the name of the lees of the sake...
          which, btw, can be used to pickle cucumbers, or fish( am NOT
          attempting the fish... i like myself too much). if anyone can comfirm
          or deny my inferal, please do so... and Solvieg, you are forgetting
          about one thing.... Mountain whale is VERY tasty!!! ;)

          yours in Sake..

          Nobumitsu
          www.angelfire.com/on3/sanazami
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001
            Noble Cousin!

            They may indeed be the lees as you describe them. It is unclear.
            As I wrote earlier, there is a type of omochi candy called Domyoji,
            but Hirano does not give that explanation. Unfortunately, Domyoji
            does not show up in either of my kogojiten. I suppose that I will
            have to break down and buy a copy of the encyclopedic cooking
            dictionary. It may be in there. Someplace, I have a commercial
            Japanese candy cookbook, but I am not sure where it is at the
            moment.

            Yes. Mountain whale can be quite tasty. But, the whale recipes
            are for the kind that swim in the ocean. I also have recipes for
            dog, tanuki, river otter, deer, &c.

            | techie.com, msn.com |
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001
              Noble Cousin!

              In amongst recipes for salting down whale and making overnight sushi,
              I found a recipe for Shirokawa Amazake which takes about 3 days during
              the Summer and about 5 days during the Winter. Are you interested in
              that one as well?

              | techie.com, msn.com |
            • wcbooth@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001
                --- In sca-jml@y..., Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:
                > Noble Cousin!
                >
                > In amongst recipes for salting down whale and making overnight
                sushi,
                > I found a recipe for Shirokawa Amazake which takes about 3 days
                during
                > the Summer and about 5 days during the Winter. Are you interested in
                > that one as well?

                of course!

                Nobu
              • Barbara Nostrand
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001
                  Noble Cousins!

                  I just thought that I would mention that paper bags appear in the food
                  preservation section of Ryorimonogatari which puts them back to at
                  least 1640. Before you quote me on that one, please let me check the
                  original monjo to be sure. But, it looks like we do have paper bags
                  available. Just think of the amusement potential. There you are in
                  the feast hall and you whip out your paper bag made out of washi.

                  | techie.com, msn.com |