Re: noren and amazake was Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Shaved head

  • Ron Martino
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2001
      > Greetings from Solveig! Are you interested in "The Chemistry of Sake
      > Brewing" in PDF format? That is a copy of a monograph published
      > about a hundred years ago. I also have a recipe for quick Amazake from
      > about 1640. Actually, I would like to have someone test the quick Amazake
      > recipe.
      >
      > Your Humble Servant
      > Solveig Throndardottir
      > Amateur Scholar

      Sensei, sometimes you asked the silliest questions...

      Of /course/ we are interested in such a treatise. Would you be able to
      upload it to the file section?

      Yumitori
      --

      yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2, 2001
        --- In sca-jml@y..., Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:
        > Noble Cousins!
        >
        > Greetings from Solveig! Are you interested in "The Chemistry of Sake
        > Brewing" in PDF format? That is a copy of a monograph published
        > about a hundred years ago. I also have a recipe for quick Amazake
        from
        > about 1640. Actually, I would like to have someone test the quick
        Amazake
        > recipe.
        >
        > Your Humble Servant
        > Solveig Throndardottir
        > Amateur Scholar

        Solvieg-Dono.. i would love to try that amazake recipe.. i have 2.5
        Lbs of Koji to use up.... i might reserve some of the koji to make
        more later though....

        Nobumitsu

        www.angelfire.com/on3/sanazami
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 2, 2001
          wcbooth@... wrote:

          > and i humbly apologise for not getting the names list up yet... there
          > have been various and sundry things happening..... including real life
          > (ugghhh).....

          Oh, yeah, like none of us know about THAT one... oy....
          <G>

          Effingham
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 3, 2001

            All right. I actually have several sake recipes. (There is a whole
            chapter on sake in Ryorimonogatari.) However, since folks have been
            talking about amazake I will post that recipe.

            Incidentally, this project is reminding me of why I hate J->E dictionaries.

            Wash 1.8 liters of dessicated steamed rice in hot water and place to the
            side. Add 2.7 liters of water to 1.8 liters of koji and grind it well
            in a serated mortar. (Yes. This is what it really says. It says to
            grind it in a suribachi after combining it with water.) Then strain it
            with a suinou (basically a strainer). Put the three ingredients in a
            pot. Simmer the mixture while stirring gently and it will be ready in
            short order. You can also add white sugar.

            The stuff sounds nasty. I should point out that this is in a section
            on "cooking sake". This stuff may not be fit to drink and it may be
            a quick substitute for amazake rather than a way to actually make the
            stuff. The mystery rice ingredient is literally "doumyouji". Hirano
            Masa'aki is the source for this business about how the "dessicated
            steamed rice". Possibly more likely is the fact that "doumyouji" is
            the name for a particular kind of mochi candy. Basically, sweet mochi.
            This explains both the sweetness and possibly some of the grinding.

            If you are reasonably brave, please try this out and tell me what
            becomes of it.

            | techie.com, msn.com |
          • wcbooth@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001
              --- In sca-jml@y..., Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:
              ~snip~
              > Wash 1.8 liters of dessicated steamed rice in hot water and place
              to the
              > side. Add 2.7 liters of water to 1.8 liters of koji and grind it
              well
              > in a serated mortar. (Yes. This is what it really says. It says to
              > grind it in a suribachi after combining it with water.) Then strain
              it
              > with a suinou (basically a strainer). Put the three ingredients in a
              > pot. Simmer the mixture while stirring gently and it will be ready
              in
              > short order. You can also add white sugar.
              >
              > The stuff sounds nasty. I should point out that this is in a section
              > on "cooking sake". This stuff may not be fit to drink and it may be
              > a quick substitute for amazake rather than a way to actually make
              the
              > stuff. The mystery rice ingredient is literally "doumyouji". Hirano
              > Masa'aki is the source for this business about how the "dessicated
              > steamed rice". Possibly more likely is the fact that "doumyouji" is
              > the name for a particular kind of mochi candy. Basically, sweet
              mochi.
              > This explains both the sweetness and possibly some of the grinding.
              >
              > If you are reasonably brave, please try this out and tell me what
              > becomes of it.

              Solvieg-dono.....

              Thank you for your work... i think that a lot of
              us here will be looking forwards(and starting to gather ingredients
              as we speak) to that, and i am 99.44% sure, that the recipies will be
              tested..... on the subject of Amazake, I have tasted Koji (rice
              attacked by a certain fungus) and i can say, that I know know why
              sake has such a powerfull kick... The koji does one heck of a good
              job at breaking down the starches in the rice... it's verry sweet, if
              you ever try some... so, i think( and i'm just guessing here) that
              the term Doumyouji, is in fact the name of the lees of the sake...
              which, btw, can be used to pickle cucumbers, or fish( am NOT
              attempting the fish... i like myself too much). if anyone can comfirm
              or deny my inferal, please do so... and Solvieg, you are forgetting
              about one thing.... Mountain whale is VERY tasty!!! ;)

              yours in Sake..

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001

                They may indeed be the lees as you describe them. It is unclear.
                As I wrote earlier, there is a type of omochi candy called Domyoji,
                but Hirano does not give that explanation. Unfortunately, Domyoji
                does not show up in either of my kogojiten. I suppose that I will
                have to break down and buy a copy of the encyclopedic cooking
                dictionary. It may be in there. Someplace, I have a commercial
                Japanese candy cookbook, but I am not sure where it is at the
                moment.

                Yes. Mountain whale can be quite tasty. But, the whale recipes
                are for the kind that swim in the ocean. I also have recipes for
                dog, tanuki, river otter, deer, &c.

                | techie.com, msn.com |
              • Barbara Nostrand
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001

                  In amongst recipes for salting down whale and making overnight sushi,
                  I found a recipe for Shirokawa Amazake which takes about 3 days during
                  the Summer and about 5 days during the Winter. Are you interested in
                  that one as well?

                  | techie.com, msn.com |
                • wcbooth@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001
                    --- In sca-jml@y..., Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:
                    > Noble Cousin!
                    >
                    > In amongst recipes for salting down whale and making overnight
                    sushi,
                    > I found a recipe for Shirokawa Amazake which takes about 3 days
                    during
                    > the Summer and about 5 days during the Winter. Are you interested in
                    > that one as well?

                    of course!

                    Nobu
                  • Barbara Nostrand
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001

                      I just thought that I would mention that paper bags appear in the food
                      preservation section of Ryorimonogatari which puts them back to at
                      least 1640. Before you quote me on that one, please let me check the
                      original monjo to be sure. But, it looks like we do have paper bags
                      available. Just think of the amusement potential. There you are in
                      the feast hall and you whip out your paper bag made out of washi.

                      | techie.com, msn.com |