RE: noren and amazake was Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Shaved head

  • Munson, Eric
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2001
      > ----------
      > From: wcbooth@...
      > Well, tomodashi, from what i have gleaned from my copy of " A
      > Popular Dictionary of Shinto(NTC/Contemporary publishing Co. ISBN 0-
      > 8442-0425-0)" is the following....
      >
      > the white, unrefined (cloudy) sake is called Doburoku, usualy was
      > Home brew, but Sake made at Shinto shrines, was usualy called by
      > different names, and made in the Skadono, or sake hall, for special
      > events. The various names given to these sakes, were Miki, or O-
      > Miki,Kuroki(the old name for dark{Kuro}sake)and Shiroki(light Sake),
      > and were offerings used at the Niinamesai (autumn festival. Dark and
      > Light Sake have also traditionaly been interpreted as refines and
      > unrefined sake, however, instructions for making these offerings are
      > found in the Engi-shiki, where light sake is natural sake, and dark
      > sake is made by mixing of kusagi( a kind of arrowroot) {if you ask
      > me, that sounds more disgusting than Amazake}
      >
      > and speaking of sake, i am right now starting a batch of Doburoku,
      > using Koji, and Sake yeast.. later, i'll be making more by using the
      > other recipe found on my website.... the one in PDF format... anyhow,
      > i will keep you all informed, and if i make it to pennsic, i'll be
      > shareing!! ;) again, i'll keep you informed...
      >
      > ----- In the vernacular of this strange barbarian land, "Dude! You rule!"
      Is there a bibliography page or section on your site, Nobu? In any case, I
      think I need this book.

      - mokurai-bozu.
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2, 2001
        Noble Cousins!

        Greetings from Solveig! Are you interested in "The Chemistry of Sake
        Brewing" in PDF format? That is a copy of a monograph published
        about a hundred years ago. I also have a recipe for quick Amazake from
        about 1640. Actually, I would like to have someone test the quick Amazake
        recipe.

        | techie.com, msn.com |
      • Ron Martino
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 2, 2001
          > Greetings from Solveig! Are you interested in "The Chemistry of Sake
          > Brewing" in PDF format? That is a copy of a monograph published
          > about a hundred years ago. I also have a recipe for quick Amazake from
          > about 1640. Actually, I would like to have someone test the quick Amazake
          > recipe.
          >
          > Your Humble Servant
          > Solveig Throndardottir
          > Amateur Scholar

          Sensei, sometimes you asked the silliest questions...

          Of /course/ we are interested in such a treatise. Would you be able to
          upload it to the file section?

          Yumitori
          --

          yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 2, 2001
            --- In sca-jml@y..., Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:
            > Noble Cousins!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig! Are you interested in "The Chemistry of Sake
            > Brewing" in PDF format? That is a copy of a monograph published
            > about a hundred years ago. I also have a recipe for quick Amazake
            from
            > about 1640. Actually, I would like to have someone test the quick
            Amazake
            > recipe.
            >
            > Your Humble Servant
            > Solveig Throndardottir
            > Amateur Scholar

            Solvieg-Dono.. i would love to try that amazake recipe.. i have 2.5
            Lbs of Koji to use up.... i might reserve some of the koji to make
            more later though....

            Nobumitsu

            www.angelfire.com/on3/sanazami
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 2, 2001
              wcbooth@... wrote:

              > and i humbly apologise for not getting the names list up yet... there
              > have been various and sundry things happening..... including real life
              > (ugghhh).....

              Oh, yeah, like none of us know about THAT one... oy....
              <G>

              Effingham
            • Barbara Nostrand
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 3, 2001
                Noble Cousins!

                All right. I actually have several sake recipes. (There is a whole
                chapter on sake in Ryorimonogatari.) However, since folks have been
                talking about amazake I will post that recipe.

                Incidentally, this project is reminding me of why I hate J->E dictionaries.

                Wash 1.8 liters of dessicated steamed rice in hot water and place to the
                side. Add 2.7 liters of water to 1.8 liters of koji and grind it well
                in a serated mortar. (Yes. This is what it really says. It says to
                grind it in a suribachi after combining it with water.) Then strain it
                with a suinou (basically a strainer). Put the three ingredients in a
                pot. Simmer the mixture while stirring gently and it will be ready in
                short order. You can also add white sugar.

                The stuff sounds nasty. I should point out that this is in a section
                on "cooking sake". This stuff may not be fit to drink and it may be
                a quick substitute for amazake rather than a way to actually make the
                stuff. The mystery rice ingredient is literally "doumyouji". Hirano
                Masa'aki is the source for this business about how the "dessicated
                steamed rice". Possibly more likely is the fact that "doumyouji" is
                the name for a particular kind of mochi candy. Basically, sweet mochi.
                This explains both the sweetness and possibly some of the grinding.

                If you are reasonably brave, please try this out and tell me what
                becomes of it.

                | techie.com, msn.com |
              • wcbooth@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001
                  --- In sca-jml@y..., Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:
                  ~snip~
                  > Wash 1.8 liters of dessicated steamed rice in hot water and place
                  to the
                  > side. Add 2.7 liters of water to 1.8 liters of koji and grind it
                  well
                  > in a serated mortar. (Yes. This is what it really says. It says to
                  > grind it in a suribachi after combining it with water.) Then strain
                  it
                  > with a suinou (basically a strainer). Put the three ingredients in a
                  > pot. Simmer the mixture while stirring gently and it will be ready
                  in
                  > short order. You can also add white sugar.
                  >
                  > The stuff sounds nasty. I should point out that this is in a section
                  > on "cooking sake". This stuff may not be fit to drink and it may be
                  > a quick substitute for amazake rather than a way to actually make
                  the
                  > stuff. The mystery rice ingredient is literally "doumyouji". Hirano
                  > Masa'aki is the source for this business about how the "dessicated
                  > steamed rice". Possibly more likely is the fact that "doumyouji" is
                  > the name for a particular kind of mochi candy. Basically, sweet
                  mochi.
                  > This explains both the sweetness and possibly some of the grinding.
                  >
                  > If you are reasonably brave, please try this out and tell me what
                  > becomes of it.

                  Solvieg-dono.....

                  Thank you for your work... i think that a lot of
                  us here will be looking forwards(and starting to gather ingredients
                  as we speak) to that, and i am 99.44% sure, that the recipies will be
                  tested..... on the subject of Amazake, I have tasted Koji (rice
                  attacked by a certain fungus) and i can say, that I know know why
                  sake has such a powerfull kick... The koji does one heck of a good
                  job at breaking down the starches in the rice... it's verry sweet, if
                  you ever try some... so, i think( and i'm just guessing here) that
                  the term Doumyouji, is in fact the name of the lees of the sake...
                  which, btw, can be used to pickle cucumbers, or fish( am NOT
                  attempting the fish... i like myself too much). if anyone can comfirm
                  or deny my inferal, please do so... and Solvieg, you are forgetting
                  about one thing.... Mountain whale is VERY tasty!!! ;)

                  yours in Sake..

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001
                    Noble Cousin!

                    They may indeed be the lees as you describe them. It is unclear.
                    As I wrote earlier, there is a type of omochi candy called Domyoji,
                    but Hirano does not give that explanation. Unfortunately, Domyoji
                    does not show up in either of my kogojiten. I suppose that I will
                    have to break down and buy a copy of the encyclopedic cooking
                    dictionary. It may be in there. Someplace, I have a commercial
                    Japanese candy cookbook, but I am not sure where it is at the
                    moment.

                    Yes. Mountain whale can be quite tasty. But, the whale recipes
                    are for the kind that swim in the ocean. I also have recipes for
                    dog, tanuki, river otter, deer, &c.

                    | techie.com, msn.com |
                  • Barbara Nostrand
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001
                      Noble Cousin!

                      In amongst recipes for salting down whale and making overnight sushi,
                      I found a recipe for Shirokawa Amazake which takes about 3 days during
                      the Summer and about 5 days during the Winter. Are you interested in
                      that one as well?

                      | techie.com, msn.com |
                    • wcbooth@hotmail.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001
                        --- In sca-jml@y..., Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:
                        > Noble Cousin!
                        >
                        > In amongst recipes for salting down whale and making overnight
                        sushi,
                        > I found a recipe for Shirokawa Amazake which takes about 3 days
                        during
                        > the Summer and about 5 days during the Winter. Are you interested in
                        > that one as well?

                        of course!

                        Nobu
                      • Barbara Nostrand
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 4, 2001
                          Noble Cousins!

                          I just thought that I would mention that paper bags appear in the food
                          preservation section of Ryorimonogatari which puts them back to at
                          least 1640. Before you quote me on that one, please let me check the
                          original monjo to be sure. But, it looks like we do have paper bags
                          available. Just think of the amusement potential. There you are in
                          the feast hall and you whip out your paper bag made out of washi.

                          | techie.com, msn.com |