RE: [SCA-JML] Re: Shaved head - hats and noren

  • Munson, Eric
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2001
      > ----------
      > From: Gara of Lions Gate
      > Well, I have to admit that it doesn't reeeeally. I saw a zen monk at
      > Urawa station a couple of days ago (I had this irresistable urge to poke
      > him, I don't know why... no worries though, I left him alone ;) ) and
      > you'd have to do something to the 100 yen shop hat to make it look more
      > authentic. The hat they sell is labeled as a Vietnam hat... I don't know
      > specifically why Vietnam... maybe I should take a closer look at it. Of
      > course to me they all look the same... that conical sorta shape made out
      > of some kind of vegetable matter. ;)
      ------ Sigh. I guess I'd have to see it to tell. I know what you mean about
      things mushing together in your brain. The monk hats are bowl or "mushroom"
      shaped - i. e. no point. And yes, they are woven from rice straw.
      > Out of sheer curiosity, can you tell me what the real hats are made of,
      > and how they're made... woven I assume, and probably rice something? =)
      > Is it just me, or does everything in this country come from either rice or
      > soy?
      --- you forgot seaweed and krill. Although, I have found the seaweed hats
      melt in the rain. : -)

      > I tried amazake a few weeks ago, ewwwww gross. Might have been better if
      > it had been hot rather than luke warm. Just something about rice chunks
      > floating in a drink that I can't get past though. It automatically brings
      > on the gag reaction. I ended up feeding my cupful to a nearby bush.
      > (Editor's note: amazake literally means "sweet sake").
      ----- I am familiar with the milky sweet sake they use for New Year's
      celebration and to give to babies (woman who owns the local sushi bar told
      me that) but the stuff I tried did not have "floatees" It was just a milky
      texture - like (duh) rice milk.
      > Gara
      > p.s. Incidentally the 100 yen shop also has lately these fabric thingies,
      > like the thingies you hang in doorways (I know their was a discussion
      > about those awhile back but I'm brain dead this week... I almost quit my
      > job *blah*). They have faces on them (uh, yukioe? no no no, what is that
      > artwork called?), and some other ones have kanji I can't read. Maybe I
      > should buy one and ask a Japanese friend to read it to me.
      As Pocy just pointed out, they are noren. Most of the time they have
      Ukiyo-style prints on them. I've seen lots of direct copies of famous
      pictures of kabuki actors, sumo stars of the 19th century, etc. All OOP, I'm
      afraid. But noren can be used in the home. I often use one at the entrance
      to my tent. Just use period-decoration or plain cloth.
      I suspect you'll find the writing is often an advertisement or some such,
      but I don't know.

      - mokurai-bozu