[SCA-JML] tv show or movie????

  • Love Match International
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 10, 1999
      Kon'nichi wa!

      This morning I happened to awake early and was searching for something to
      watch on tv, and found this... it was on JAPANESE TV ( a channel here ).. it
      is called " The Genroku ", I am not sure, but I have a feeling it is a soap
      opera... it IS very interesting ( I am writing this as I sit and watch
      it )... it is all in Japanese with out subtitles.. and from the camera work
      and the length ( 1 hr ) I am guessing it is not a movie... has any one else
      seen this or know what show/movie I am talking about? I do not know what
      time period it is set, but it is medieval Japan, that is for sure..

      All the Best
      Sincerely
      Jason Silver
      Owner of
      Love Match International ( LMI ) - International Personals service, find
      your mate in this WORLD! www.lovematchinternational.com
      and
      Battle Wear - Chain mail and leather fashions for the 21st Century.
      ICQ - 17080361
    • Bruce Mills
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 10, 1999
        On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Love Match International wrote:

        > This morning I happened to awake early and was searching for something to
        > watch on tv, and found this... it was on JAPANESE TV ( a channel here )..
        > it is called " The Genroku ", I am not sure, but I have a feeling it is a
        > soap opera... it IS very interesting ( I am writing this as I sit and
        > watch it )... it is all in Japanese with out subtitles.. and from the
        > camera work and the length ( 1 hr ) I am guessing it is not a movie...
        > has any one else seen this or know what show/movie I am talking about? I
        > do not know what time period it is set, but it is medieval Japan, that is
        > for sure..

        Sounds like a serialized version of the 47 Ronin, "Tales from the Genroku
        Era". I forget how many episodes there are, but if it is the one that I'm
        thinking of, it is an extrememly good version, and there are quite a number
        of episodes. It's been quite a while since I've seen it - you should tape
        it if you have the opportunity.

        Akimoya
        Ealdormere
      • BattleWear
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 10, 1999
          The show just finished 10 min ago, and when it ended it showed what looked
          like clips from the next show. It looks like a really good show, now I only
          wish I could understand Japanese :) LOL! I am trying to set it on reminder
          on my digital cable box ) but it hasnt shown up yet for the next show, but
          I am going to check for the next fw days, I am going to look at taping it if
          I can, seeing as you have seen this ( or may have ) the items and clothing
          in the show, are they period? can they be used in a SCA fashion? it has
          given me some ideas, but of course I am STILL looking for more on the
          Japanese tents :)

          > On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Love Match International wrote:
          >
          > > This morning I happened to awake early and was searching for something
          > > watch on tv, and found this... it was on JAPANESE TV ( a channel
          here )..
          > > it is called " The Genroku ", I am not sure, but I have a feeling it is
          > > soap opera... it IS very interesting ( I am writing this as I sit and
          > > watch it )... it is all in Japanese with out subtitles.. and from the
          > > camera work and the length ( 1 hr ) I am guessing it is not a movie...
          > > has any one else seen this or know what show/movie I am talking about? I
          > > do not know what time period it is set, but it is medieval Japan, that
          is
          > > for sure..
          >
          > Sounds like a serialized version of the 47 Ronin, "Tales from the Genroku
          > Era". I forget how many episodes there are, but if it is the one that I'm
          > thinking of, it is an extrememly good version, and there are quite a
          number
          > of episodes. It's been quite a while since I've seen it - you should tape
          > it if you have the opportunity.
          >
          > Akimoya
          > Ealdormere
        • Bruce Mills
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 10, 1999
            On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, BattleWear wrote:

            > The show just finished 10 min ago, and when it ended it showed what looked
            > like clips from the next show. It looks like a really good show, now I only
            > wish I could understand Japanese :) LOL! I am trying to set it on reminder
            > on my digital cable box ) but it hasnt shown up yet for the next show, but
            > I am going to check for the next fw days, I am going to look at taping it if
            > I can, seeing as you have seen this ( or may have ) the items and clothing
            > in the show, are they period? can they be used in a SCA fashion? it has
            > given me some ideas, but of course I am STILL looking for more on the
            > Japanese tents :)

            Well, since the Genroku Era is around 1688, it is post-SCA-period, but
            there weren't many changes in styles, in men's fashions anyway. It is
            rather hard to document the kamishimo to SCA period - as in right post
            period but no records (available) to show it was *in* period.

            I can't speak to how good this series is in accurcy and historicity, but
            the tale of the 47 Ronin is a national, heroic tale, and I can't see them
            going too far wrong with it.

            I'm not sure, but the title may be "Men of the Genroku Era", not "Tales",
            but don't quote me on that. I can't find it in the IMDB or through web
            serches (yet).

            From what I remember, it is an excellent show. One of the many things that
            prompted me to turn Japanese :-}

            Akimoya
            Ealdormere
          • Ron Martino
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 10, 1999
              > I am going to check for the next fw days, I am going to look at taping it if
              > I can, seeing as you have seen this ( or may have ) the items and clothing
              > in the show, are they period? can they be used in a SCA fashion? it has
              > given me some ideas, but of course I am STILL looking for more on the
              > Japanese tents :)

              If the show is set during the Genroku era (1688-1703), then it is
              outside the SCA period, during the time of the Tokugawa shoguns.

              Yumitori
            • Bruce Mills
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 10, 1999
                On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

                > > rather hard to document the kamishimo to SCA period - as in right post
                > > period but no records (available) to show it was *in* period.
                >
                > Akimoya-dono, how could you say such a thing? <G>
                >
                > The nagabakama the men wear at court (the LOOOOONG hakama) are post
                > period, as are the folded, starched and winged kataginu that they wear.
                > These are the two most recognizable items of samurai official wear, and
                > they didn't appear until around 1620-50. It's VERY post period. Much of
                > the other gear is period, but do NOT rely on clothing you see in Edo era
                > films, as certain trends had developed which were markedly modern and
                > not period.

                Well, wouldn't you say 1620 is "right post period", in the larger scheme of
                things? I didn't say 1601 on the dot. It might even be considered *in*
                period, if, according to some, period stretches to 1650...

                Sheesh! Nit pickers! :-}

                Akimoya
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 10, 1999
                  Love Match International wrote:

                  > Kon'nichi wa!
                  >
                  > This morning I happened to awake early and was searching for something to
                  > watch on tv, and found this... it was on JAPANESE TV ( a channel here ).. it
                  > is called " The Genroku ", I am not sure, but I have a feeling it is a soap
                  > opera... it IS very interesting ( I am writing this as I sit and watch
                  > it )... it is all in Japanese with out subtitles.. and from the camera work
                  > and the length ( 1 hr ) I am guessing it is not a movie... has any one else
                  > seen this or know what show/movie I am talking about? I do not know what
                  > time period it is set, but it is medieval Japan, that is for sure..

                  I'm not sure what the show is, but if it's Genroku, it's the Genroku
                  era, which is NOT medieval Japan. It's early modern, 1688-1704. It's
                  kind of considered the "golden age" of the Tokugawa period, as it was a
                  time of flowering arts and cultural development and peace and
                  prosperity.

                  It's more than likely the show is the NHK Taiga Drama "Genroku
                  Taiheiki", which ran for one year ('75). It's about various things that
                  occurred then, focussing on the Ako rĂ´shi.

                  So what was happening?

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 10, 1999
                    BattleWear wrote:

                    > The show just finished 10 min ago, and when it ended it showed what looked
                    > like clips from the next show. It looks like a really good show, now I only
                    > wish I could understand Japanese :) LOL! I am trying to set it on reminder
                    > on my digital cable box ) but it hasnt shown up yet for the next show, but
                    > I am going to check for the next fw days, I am going to look at taping it if
                    > I can, seeing as you have seen this ( or may have ) the items and clothing
                    > in the show, are they period? can they be used in a SCA fashion? it has
                    > given me some ideas, but of course I am STILL looking for more on the
                    > Japanese tents :)

                    No, it's not period. The costume particularly is VERY markedly post
                    period. The Genroku era began in 1688. You're better off using Shogun,
                    Kagemusha, and Ran as your garb/gear inspirational source.

                    As for tents; well, I've got some more material on akunoya since I wrote
                    CA #65 (if you've read it you have a good basic coverage of the Japanese
                    tent). What exactly would you like to know?

                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 10, 1999
                      Bruce Mills wrote:

                      > Well, since the Genroku Era is around 1688, it is post-SCA-period, but
                      > there weren't many changes in styles, in men's fashions anyway. It is
                      > rather hard to document the kamishimo to SCA period - as in right post
                      > period but no records (available) to show it was *in* period.

                      Akimoya-dono, how could you say such a thing? <G>

                      The nagabakama the men wear at court (the LOOOOONG hakama) are post
                      period, as are the folded, starched and winged kataginu that they wear.
                      These are the two most recognizable items of samurai official wear, and
                      they didn't appear until around 1620-50. It's VERY post period. Much of
                      the other gear is period, but do NOT rely on clothing you see in Edo era
                      films, as certain trends had developed which were markedly modern and
                      not period.

                      Effingham
                    • Bruce Mills
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 10, 1999
                        On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

                        > "some" doesn't matter. Corpora says "make an attempt at pre
                        > seventeenth-century costume." Deliberately recreating something that
                        > didn't even appear until AFTER that cutoff is to me a complete disregard
                        > of the rules.

                        I never said I *agreed* with those "some"...

                        > Plus the fact that their whole design is post period both in fact and in
                        > concept. Nagabakama were developed for a reason, and that reason wasn't
                        > something that was part of sengoku or feudal Japanese life. The thing
                        > is, these garments are SYMBOLIC of the Edo period, and should not be
                        > used in the SCA. They had analogues that DID exist in period, and are
                        > symbolic of THAT era, and it is those that should be recreated.

                        Yes, certainly. I never said that we should recreate non-period things. I
                        was just saying that while the clothing protrayed in the series might get
                        *close* to period, they weren't documentable *as* period, and shouldn't be
                        used as a model for SCA use.

                        > > Sheesh! Nit pickers! :-}
                        >
                        > PPPFFFFTTTHHHH!!! <G>

                        At least provide a towel!

                        Akimoya
                      • J. Kriss White
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 10, 1999
                          At 10/10/99 12:15 PM -0400, Akimoya calligraphed:

                          Well, wouldn't you say 1620 is "right post period", in the larger scheme of things? I didn't say 1601 on the dot.  It might even be considered *in* period, if, according to some, period stretches to 1650...
                          Hey, it's Cavalier Era Japanese. :-)  Belongs right in there beside the fops.

                          Livin' la vida meshuggah,
                          Lord Daveed of Granada, mka J. Kriss White,
                          Barony of Calafia, Kingdom of Caid
                          email - jkrissw@...  ||  AOL IM - jkrissw  ||  ICQ #1824702
                          (hobbies & interests web page: <http://members.aol.com/JkrissW/index.html>)
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 10, 1999
                            Bruce Mills wrote:

                            > Well, wouldn't you say 1620 is "right post period", in the larger scheme of
                            > things? I didn't say 1601 on the dot. It might even be considered *in*
                            > period, if, according to some, period stretches to 1650...

                            "some" doesn't matter. Corpora says "make an attempt at pre
                            seventeenth-century costume." Deliberately recreating something that
                            didn't even appear until AFTER that cutoff is to me a complete disregard
                            of the rules.

                            Plus the fact that their whole design is post period both in fact and in
                            concept. Nagabakama were developed for a reason, and that reason wasn't
                            something that was part of sengoku or feudal Japanese life. The thing
                            is, these garments are SYMBOLIC of the Edo period, and should not be
                            used in the SCA. They had analogues that DID exist in period, and are
                            symbolic of THAT era, and it is those that should be recreated.

                            > Sheesh! Nit pickers! :-}

                            PPPFFFFTTTHHHH!!! <G>

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 10, 1999
                              Bruce Mills wrote:

                              > Yes, certainly. I never said that we should recreate non-period things. I
                              > was just saying that while the clothing protrayed in the series might get
                              > *close* to period, they weren't documentable *as* period, and shouldn't be
                              > used as a model for SCA use.

                              Hokey dokey!

                              > > PPPFFFFTTTHHHH!!! <G>
                              >
                              > At least provide a towel!

                              Hai, hai!!

                              Effingham
                            • Markejag@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 14, 1999
                                Sorry so late with the replies, but I do recall a BOD statement that the
                                ending period for the SCA was 1600 with special dispensation until 1650 to
                                allow for contingencies in cultures. (I.E., those fops) There was a great
                                discussion on the rialto about this years ago, of which I am unfamiliar with,
                                and the after shocks were more to the point that if it didn't effect your
                                personnel period or style then there was no more need for discussion.

                                Calm down children and have fun doing your own thing :-)

                                Fumio
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 14, 1999
                                  Markejag@... wrote:

                                  > Sorry so late with the replies, but I do recall a BOD statement that the
                                  > ending period for the SCA was 1600 with special dispensation until 1650 to
                                  > allow for contingencies in cultures. (I.E., those fops) There was a great
                                  > discussion on the rialto about this years ago, of which I am unfamiliar with,
                                  > and the after shocks were more to the point that if it didn't effect your
                                  > personnel period or style then there was no more need for discussion.

                                  You are mis-remembering. The 50-year "grace period" was a good idea gone
                                  awry created by then Laurel King of Arms Wilhelm von Schlussel to allow
                                  the use in SCA heraldry of items that were first documented in the first
                                  half of the 17th century under the supposition that just because it was
                                  first mentioned doesn't mean it hadn't been around already for a few
                                  years.

                                  Unfortunately, it was wildly misused to allow things that were
                                  documentedly invented (rather than just referred to) between 1600 and
                                  1650, and it also spawned the misbelief that the SCA has (or at some
                                  point had) a 1650 cutoff date.

                                  Effingam
                                • nostrand@acm.org
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 21, 1999

                                    I have some matterial about tents as well including evidence
                                    concerning where and for what they were used. The CA editor
                                    will not publish any of this along with other stuff of the
                                    miscellany sort. I have asked and been told so. (Basically
                                    Baron Edward's earlier issue blocks anything newley
                                    discovered. The same thing applies to the poetry omnimbus
                                    which got Japanese poetry wrong.) Sorry for grumping, but
                                    this sort of thing bothers me. (Note. I have stuff more
                                    recent than my 4 page article on Japanese outdoor life.
                                    However, I have dispaired of having any of it appear in CA.)

                                  • nostrand@acm.org
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 21, 1999

                                      There was a long standing dispute over whether SCA period should end
                                      at 1600 or 1650. Quite a few members still contend that the cut off
                                      should be 1650. The BoD ruled that the cut-off would be 1600. People
                                      generally agree that documentaiton up to 1650 can be used.

                                    • Barbara Nostrand
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 21, 1999
                                        Baron Edward!

                                        Greetings from Solveig! Sorry, but the A&S community now generally
                                        accepts post 1600 sources. A good example of this in dance is a
                                        book by Caesar Negri which appeared around 1603. Other examples
                                        can be found in cooking. The idea is that post-1600 documentation
                                        can be used to document pre-1601 stuff. You need to distinguish
                                        between when the stuff was extant and when it was written down.

                                        As for post 1600 Japanese clothing and hair styles. I am very
                                        much in agreement with you. Clothing changed significantly during
                                        the Edo period. There were significant clothing and hair fads
                                        and what naught. (I have a rather nice history of clothing in
                                        the Edo period and a matching history of hair styles in the
                                        Edo period.)

                                        In Japan, by 1650 you can easily have clothing and hair that
                                        was unseen before 1601.

                                        | techie.com |
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 21, 1999
                                          nostrand@... wrote:

                                          > Noble Cousins!
                                          >
                                          > There was a long standing dispute over whether SCA period should end
                                          > at 1600 or 1650. Quite a few members still contend that the cut off
                                          > should be 1650. The BoD ruled that the cut-off would be 1600. People
                                          > generally agree that documentaiton up to 1650 can be used.

                                          Regardless, the SCA cutoff is 1600.

                                          Period. (so to speak. <g>)

                                          The only "extra" allowed was a misguided Laurel ruling years ago to allow anything first
                                          documented between 1600 and 1650 under the supposition that if it's first public reference was
                                          then, it was POSSIBLE that it first appeared earlier, IN period.

                                          People started using this to claim things that were documentedly INVENTED in 1600-1650 (OOP) were
                                          allowable in the SCA under that rule.

                                          I do not and will not do post period. Nor can I or will I support it.

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Oct 22, 1999
                                            Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                                            > Baron Edward!
                                            >
                                            > Greetings from Solveig! Sorry, but the A&S community now generally
                                            > accepts post 1600 sources. A good example of this in dance is a
                                            > book by Caesar Negri which appeared around 1603. Other examples
                                            > can be found in cooking. The idea is that post-1600 documentation
                                            > can be used to document pre-1601 stuff. You need to distinguish
                                            > between when the stuff was extant and when it was written down.

                                            That's what I'm talking about. This is the only acceptable use of
                                            post-period material. The trouble is when people start wanting to do post
                                            period things (the Edo style kataginu, for example) even though it's only
                                            "a little" after 1600.