kyudo randomness

  • lynnx@enteract.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2001
      would plain ole' modern archery contain enough of the basic
      basics to teach stance, grip, pull/release etc. without
      drilling anything that would have to be "unlearned" for
      kyudo? (I'm comparing it with the other martial art i was
      taught as a kid, along with eating breathing and sleeping:
      Gun Fu, NRA-Safety Ryu; straight from the lap of Dad-Sensei
      The Gititright Fanatic. The point: Be it pistol, .22,
      8-gauge or muzzleloader: You Always Do These Things... And
      NEVER Do These...

      When my dad went thru an archery "phase" (and of course took
      the rest of us along with) one of the things that was
      stressed even more than bow or 'fuku was the *arrows* - too
      long or too short, yer sunk. Is that true also in kyudo?

      (Boy did we have lots of fun with the two perfectly
      telescoping sizes of cutoff fiberglass ends... Anyone in
      j-period ever use a blowgun?)

      Seriously, i think the blowgun has to be one of the 2 or 3
      least-studied and most interesting weapons Out There. (It's
      also the only projectile weapon i can hit the side of a barn
      with. I know. We had a barn. I tried. ;-)

      (The other being the yoyo - No not your kid brother's; the
      south pacific tribal weapon it's an almost exact copy of
      only smaller.)

    • kujika@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2001
        stop do not pass go ,,, run to the book store and buy (zen and the art of
        archery)
        then e mail me
      • schneider
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2001
          Asahi yumi and kyudo.com has soem good preliminary reading on kyudo. Western
          archery may give you a good base to start but with kyudo, the arrow is on
          the outside, the bow is not a uniform shape, there is also the grip you must
          use and how to draw the bow (forgot the actual term for it) and the release.
          I know a lot of guys here that bow hunt and draw with their fingers, kyudo
          you use your thumb, thus the special glove. Visualization is the utmost key
          as well as performance.
          Pocy

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 9, 2001
            lynnx@... wrote:

            > would plain ole' modern archery contain enough of the basic
            > basics to teach stance, grip, pull/release etc. without
            > drilling anything that would have to be "unlearned" for
            > kyudo?

            Definitely not; kyudo has a very specific grip, way to draw, and a very
            very eccentric release.