Re: Newcomer needs info

  • genjuro7us@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001
      Thanks for the welcome....
    • Ron Martino
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001
        > > I would like to inquire about SCA fighting rules in regards to shinai
        > > and naginata...also whats a good way to construct an SCA approved
        > > light fighter's naginata? Id appreciate any information anyone can
        > > provide. Thanks in advance..
        >
        > Yumitori-dono? This sounds like it's right up your alley!
        >
        > Effingham

        Well, yes and no. Shinai as a weapon style is not universally accepted
        in the SCA, so there's no standardized set of rules for its use. I can
        offer two suggestions -

        Go with rattan instead. When we were part of Atenveldt we had a few
        folks who fought each other with shinai instead of joining the rattan
        combat, but there were problems. Armor was typically lighter, but not
        everyone pulled their blows sufficiently, leading to painful welts and
        such. Since it was a 'marginal' combat form, a lot of marshals lacked
        experience in it, and so it was difficult to police. When Artemisia
        became a kingdom, we declined to continue shinai combat, for that reason
        and because as far as we could tell, the weapon form is post-period.
        Rattan at least has some similarity to bokken and such.

        Regardless, fighting with rattan gives you more potential opponents,
        which means more fun. And fun is one of our main goals, isn't it?

        If you really want to do shinai, however, then my second suggestion is
        that you contact your local marshals for specific information. Since it
        is, as I've said, a regional activity, they will be the best ones to
        advise you about weapons. If you have plans to attend Estrella war next
        week, you might also inquire of some of the Atenveldters there. At one
        point there were folks in that area who made naginata and such for
        shinai, and they may still be available to help point you in the proper
        direction.

        Yumitori

        --

        yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
      • Craig Gehlert III
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 11, 2001

          >I would like to inquire about SCA fighting rules in regards to shinai
          >and naginata...also whats a good way to construct an SCA approved
          >light fighter's naginata? Id appreciate any information anyone can
          >provide. Thanks in advance..

          hello my name is
                                       ichimitsu

           i've been fighting sca for about 7 years(off and on) ive been fighting naginata for the last four....
          as far as rules go its just a pole weapon!try not to only have to pad one edge(if you have to pad it at all!)

                      good luck and dont forget to thrust.

        • Ron Martino
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 11, 2001
            > i've been fighting sca for about 7 years(off and on) ive been
            > fighting naginata for the last four....
            > as far as rules go its just a pole weapon!try not to only have to pad
            > one edge(if you have to pad it at all!)
            >
            > good luck and dont forget to thrust.

            He's looking for a shinai naginata.... I pointed him to a martial arts
            federation in his area that uses nagis, since they should have decent
            sources for him.

            --

            yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
          • eric hill
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 12, 2001
              Ichimtsu-san. I appreciate the info on the naginata. I
              havent been actually been able to anything else on
              that so thats a helpful perspective on the weapon.
              Domo Arigato Gozai-Mashita (I think)

              a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/