Newcomer needs info

  • genjuro7us@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001
      Greetings all,

      Ive just signed on to this e-group. I am looking to join the SCA
      in the Kingdom of Caid, Barony of Altavia under a Japanese persona.
      I am looking forward to discussing Japanese related topics with
      everyone and exchange information. Thanks to all in advance...

      I would like to inquire about SCA fighting rules in regards to shinai
      and naginata...also whats a good way to construct an SCA approved
      light fighter's naginata? Id appreciate any information anyone can
      provide. Thanks in advance..
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001
        genjuro7us@... wrote:

        > Greetings all,
        >
        > Ive just signed on to this e-group. I am looking to join the SCA
        > in the Kingdom of Caid, Barony of Altavia under a Japanese persona.
        > I am looking forward to discussing Japanese related topics with
        > everyone and exchange information. Thanks to all in advance...

        I'm glad you were able to find the place! I was wondering when you'd show
        up here. <G> Pull up a shitone and have a sake.

        > I would like to inquire about SCA fighting rules in regards to shinai
        > and naginata...also whats a good way to construct an SCA approved
        > light fighter's naginata? Id appreciate any information anyone can
        > provide. Thanks in advance..

        Yumitori-dono? This sounds like it's right up your alley!

        Effingham
      • genjuro7us@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001
          Thanks for the welcome....
        • Ron Martino
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 6, 2001
            > > I would like to inquire about SCA fighting rules in regards to shinai
            > > and naginata...also whats a good way to construct an SCA approved
            > > light fighter's naginata? Id appreciate any information anyone can
            > > provide. Thanks in advance..
            >
            > Yumitori-dono? This sounds like it's right up your alley!
            >
            > Effingham

            Well, yes and no. Shinai as a weapon style is not universally accepted
            in the SCA, so there's no standardized set of rules for its use. I can
            offer two suggestions -

            Go with rattan instead. When we were part of Atenveldt we had a few
            folks who fought each other with shinai instead of joining the rattan
            combat, but there were problems. Armor was typically lighter, but not
            everyone pulled their blows sufficiently, leading to painful welts and
            such. Since it was a 'marginal' combat form, a lot of marshals lacked
            experience in it, and so it was difficult to police. When Artemisia
            became a kingdom, we declined to continue shinai combat, for that reason
            and because as far as we could tell, the weapon form is post-period.
            Rattan at least has some similarity to bokken and such.

            Regardless, fighting with rattan gives you more potential opponents,
            which means more fun. And fun is one of our main goals, isn't it?

            If you really want to do shinai, however, then my second suggestion is
            that you contact your local marshals for specific information. Since it
            is, as I've said, a regional activity, they will be the best ones to
            advise you about weapons. If you have plans to attend Estrella war next
            week, you might also inquire of some of the Atenveldters there. At one
            point there were folks in that area who made naginata and such for
            shinai, and they may still be available to help point you in the proper
            direction.

            Yumitori

            --

            yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
          • Craig Gehlert III
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 11, 2001

              >I would like to inquire about SCA fighting rules in regards to shinai
              >and naginata...also whats a good way to construct an SCA approved
              >light fighter's naginata? Id appreciate any information anyone can
              >provide. Thanks in advance..

              hello my name is
                                           ichimitsu

               i've been fighting sca for about 7 years(off and on) ive been fighting naginata for the last four....
              as far as rules go its just a pole weapon!try not to only have to pad one edge(if you have to pad it at all!)

                          good luck and dont forget to thrust.

            • Ron Martino
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 11, 2001
                > i've been fighting sca for about 7 years(off and on) ive been
                > fighting naginata for the last four....
                > as far as rules go its just a pole weapon!try not to only have to pad
                > one edge(if you have to pad it at all!)
                >
                > good luck and dont forget to thrust.

                He's looking for a shinai naginata.... I pointed him to a martial arts
                federation in his area that uses nagis, since they should have decent
                sources for him.

                --

                yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
              • eric hill
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 12, 2001
                  Ichimtsu-san. I appreciate the info on the naginata. I
                  havent been actually been able to anything else on
                  that so thats a helpful perspective on the weapon.
                  Domo Arigato Gozai-Mashita (I think)

                  a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/