Re: [SCA-JML] Tanka etc.

  • Joshua Badgley
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2001
      > Well, there's not a tanka list per se, but there's an e-gro... er,
      > Yahoogroups list for classical Japanese called "Bungo."

      Y'know, I looked it up and find I'm already on it. Aa!

      > As to learning the lingo, you really need to get a kogo jiten (available from
      > Amazon.co.jp ; I recommend the "Benesse Zen'yaku kogo jiten" for people who
      > don't plan to make a living with kobun) and a copy of McCullough's "Bungo
      > Manual" (available from Amazon.com).

      I have one kogo jiten from a friend who gave it to me in Japan. I'll have
      to look into that other one. (money for Pennsic comes first, though).

      > The only way to get good at it is to do a lot of it. And read a lot,
      > preferably in the original. "Tale of Flowering Fortunes" has lots of waka,
      > all in the original with mod English translations side-by-side.

      "Tale of Flowering Fortunes"? ISBN? Publisher?

      > "bungo no kami" <-- how I sign posts in the bungo list. Hey, it's my list...
      > <G>
      <W>

      -Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2001
        Joshua Badgley wrote:

        > > Well, there's not a tanka list per se, but there's an e-gro... er,
        > > Yahoogroups list for classical Japanese called "Bungo."
        >
        > Y'know, I looked it up and find I'm already on it. Aa!

        Then start up a thread. I can't do it all the time, it looks bad. <G>

        > > As to learning the lingo, you really need to get a kogo jiten (available from
        > > Amazon.co.jp ; I recommend the "Benesse Zen'yaku kogo jiten" for people who
        > > don't plan to make a living with kobun) and a copy of McCullough's "Bungo
        > > Manual" (available from Amazon.com).
        >
        > I have one kogo jiten from a friend who gave it to me in Japan. I'll have
        > to look into that other one. (money for Pennsic comes first, though).

        Which one do you have? (Please don't say Iwanami....)

        > > The only way to get good at it is to do a lot of it. And read a lot,
        > > preferably in the original. "Tale of Flowering Fortunes" has lots of waka,
        > > all in the original with mod English translations side-by-side.
        >
        > "Tale of Flowering Fortunes"? ISBN? Publisher?

        Publisher was Stanford U. Press. It's two volumes, hardback, about $50 or so. The
        better part of volume two is all appendix, with information on life, titles, court
        positions, etc. It's worth the price alone.

        Should still be available from Amazon.com.

        Effingham
      • Joshua Badgley
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 10, 2001
          On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

          > Then start up a thread. I can't do it all the time, it looks bad. <G>

          Sorry, I've been busy. I had some questions I'll send over there, though.

          > > I have one kogo jiten from a friend who gave it to me in Japan. I'll have
          > > to look into that other one. (money for Pennsic comes first, though).
          > >

          > Which one do you have? (Please don't say Iwanami....)

          You know, I can't find it now, which is bugging me. I'm going to have to
          search around and see what become of that and my kanji dictionary. It was
          just a small, grey paperback (okay, small, but thick) that my friend had
          gotten for a high school course on Classical Japanese that she had no
          plans of taking again.

          > > > The only way to get good at it is to do a lot of it. And read a lot,
          > > > preferably in the original. "Tale of Flowering Fortunes" has lots of waka,
          > > > all in the original with mod English translations side-by-side.
          > >
          > > "Tale of Flowering Fortunes"? ISBN? Publisher?
          >
          > Publisher was Stanford U. Press. It's two volumes, hardback, about $50 or so. The
          > better part of volume two is all appendix, with information on life, titles, court
          > positions, etc. It's worth the price alone.

          Hmmm, I'll have to look this one up. At the moment that means checking
          the local ILL and seeing what I can get.

          -Ii Saburou

          PS: Henshi ga osoku narimashita gomen nasai. Isogashiku natchatta.
          <Excuse me for the late reply. I've been really busy.>
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 14, 2001
            Joshua Badgley wrote:

            > On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
            >
            > > Then start up a thread. I can't do it all the time, it looks bad. <G>
            >
            > Sorry, I've been busy. I had some questions I'll send over there, though.
            >
            > > > I have one kogo jiten from a friend who gave it to me in Japan. I'll have
            > > > to look into that other one. (money for Pennsic comes first, though).
            > > >

            > > Which one do you have? (Please don't say Iwanami....)
            >
            > You know, I can't find it now, which is bugging me. I'm going to have to
            > search around and see what become of that and my kanji dictionary. It was
            > just a small, grey paperback (okay, small, but thick) that my friend had
            > gotten for a high school course on Classical Japanese that she had no
            > plans of taking again.

            You mean "plasticback"? <G>

            If that's the case, if it's pale grey, it may well be the Obunsha, which IMHO is by far
            the best portable kogo jiten on the market. (It's sad that I can identify dictionaries
            by cover color... <G>)

            > PS: Henshi ga osoku narimashita gomen nasai. Isogashiku natchatta.
            > <Excuse me for the late reply. I've been really busy.>

            Sessha mo osoku, warukatta.*

            /I'm late, too; sorry./