Re: [SCA-JML] Tanka etc.

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2001
      Joshua Badgley wrote:

      > I am interested in learning and improving my limited vocabulary of
      > classical Japanese as well as learning more about tanka. I wonder if
      > there is currently a list--or if not, would anyone be interested in
      > one--which focuses on tanka creation and classical Japanese. I don't know
      > that this is neccessarily something for this list in particular.

      Well, there's not a tanka list per se, but there's an e-gro... er,
      Yahoogroups list for classical Japanese called "Bungo."

      It's been pretty dead for a long time. (I feel guilty about that. I should
      start another topic going there.)

      It's for discussions of all things related to classical Japanese.

      As to learning the lingo, you really need to get a kogo jiten (available from
      Amazon.co.jp ; I recommend the "Benesse Zen'yaku kogo jiten" for people who
      don't plan to make a living with kobun) and a copy of McCullough's "Bungo
      Manual" (available from Amazon.com).

      The only way to get good at it is to do a lot of it. And read a lot,
      preferably in the original. "Tale of Flowering Fortunes" has lots of waka,
      all in the original with mod English translations side-by-side.

      > My thought is to have a place where one might compose classical poetry and
      > have it read and checked by others. Hey, if people wanted then one might
      > also attempt to play some of the verse games.

      Maybe we should start one? There's some talk that the new Yahoo formation is
      causing havoc with non-ASCII (specifically Japanese encoded) messages,
      especially in the web-read messages sections), but we'll have to see.

      Effingham
      "bungo no kami" <-- how I sign posts in the bungo list. Hey, it's my list...
      <G>
    • Joshua Badgley
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2001
        > Well, there's not a tanka list per se, but there's an e-gro... er,
        > Yahoogroups list for classical Japanese called "Bungo."

        Y'know, I looked it up and find I'm already on it. Aa!

        > As to learning the lingo, you really need to get a kogo jiten (available from
        > Amazon.co.jp ; I recommend the "Benesse Zen'yaku kogo jiten" for people who
        > don't plan to make a living with kobun) and a copy of McCullough's "Bungo
        > Manual" (available from Amazon.com).

        I have one kogo jiten from a friend who gave it to me in Japan. I'll have
        to look into that other one. (money for Pennsic comes first, though).

        > The only way to get good at it is to do a lot of it. And read a lot,
        > preferably in the original. "Tale of Flowering Fortunes" has lots of waka,
        > all in the original with mod English translations side-by-side.

        "Tale of Flowering Fortunes"? ISBN? Publisher?

        > "bungo no kami" <-- how I sign posts in the bungo list. Hey, it's my list...
        > <G>
        <W>

        -Ii Saburou
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2001
          Joshua Badgley wrote:

          > > Well, there's not a tanka list per se, but there's an e-gro... er,
          > > Yahoogroups list for classical Japanese called "Bungo."
          >
          > Y'know, I looked it up and find I'm already on it. Aa!

          Then start up a thread. I can't do it all the time, it looks bad. <G>

          > > As to learning the lingo, you really need to get a kogo jiten (available from
          > > Amazon.co.jp ; I recommend the "Benesse Zen'yaku kogo jiten" for people who
          > > don't plan to make a living with kobun) and a copy of McCullough's "Bungo
          > > Manual" (available from Amazon.com).
          >
          > I have one kogo jiten from a friend who gave it to me in Japan. I'll have
          > to look into that other one. (money for Pennsic comes first, though).

          Which one do you have? (Please don't say Iwanami....)

          > > The only way to get good at it is to do a lot of it. And read a lot,
          > > preferably in the original. "Tale of Flowering Fortunes" has lots of waka,
          > > all in the original with mod English translations side-by-side.
          >
          > "Tale of Flowering Fortunes"? ISBN? Publisher?

          Publisher was Stanford U. Press. It's two volumes, hardback, about $50 or so. The
          better part of volume two is all appendix, with information on life, titles, court
          positions, etc. It's worth the price alone.

          Should still be available from Amazon.com.

          Effingham
        • Joshua Badgley
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 10, 2001
            On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

            > Then start up a thread. I can't do it all the time, it looks bad. <G>

            Sorry, I've been busy. I had some questions I'll send over there, though.

            > > I have one kogo jiten from a friend who gave it to me in Japan. I'll have
            > > to look into that other one. (money for Pennsic comes first, though).
            > >

            > Which one do you have? (Please don't say Iwanami....)

            You know, I can't find it now, which is bugging me. I'm going to have to
            search around and see what become of that and my kanji dictionary. It was
            just a small, grey paperback (okay, small, but thick) that my friend had
            gotten for a high school course on Classical Japanese that she had no
            plans of taking again.

            > > > The only way to get good at it is to do a lot of it. And read a lot,
            > > > preferably in the original. "Tale of Flowering Fortunes" has lots of waka,
            > > > all in the original with mod English translations side-by-side.
            > >
            > > "Tale of Flowering Fortunes"? ISBN? Publisher?
            >
            > Publisher was Stanford U. Press. It's two volumes, hardback, about $50 or so. The
            > better part of volume two is all appendix, with information on life, titles, court
            > positions, etc. It's worth the price alone.

            Hmmm, I'll have to look this one up. At the moment that means checking
            the local ILL and seeing what I can get.

            -Ii Saburou

            PS: Henshi ga osoku narimashita gomen nasai. Isogashiku natchatta.
            <Excuse me for the late reply. I've been really busy.>
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 14, 2001
              Joshua Badgley wrote:

              > On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
              >
              > > Then start up a thread. I can't do it all the time, it looks bad. <G>
              >
              > Sorry, I've been busy. I had some questions I'll send over there, though.
              >
              > > > I have one kogo jiten from a friend who gave it to me in Japan. I'll have
              > > > to look into that other one. (money for Pennsic comes first, though).
              > > >

              > > Which one do you have? (Please don't say Iwanami....)
              >
              > You know, I can't find it now, which is bugging me. I'm going to have to
              > search around and see what become of that and my kanji dictionary. It was
              > just a small, grey paperback (okay, small, but thick) that my friend had
              > gotten for a high school course on Classical Japanese that she had no
              > plans of taking again.

              You mean "plasticback"? <G>

              If that's the case, if it's pale grey, it may well be the Obunsha, which IMHO is by far
              the best portable kogo jiten on the market. (It's sad that I can identify dictionaries
              by cover color... <G>)

              > PS: Henshi ga osoku narimashita gomen nasai. Isogashiku natchatta.
              > <Excuse me for the late reply. I've been really busy.>

              Sessha mo osoku, warukatta.*

              /I'm late, too; sorry./