Re: Silk dyes

  • mcgann@bessemer.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2001
      > Have you noticed a difference, or is this something that was
      actually done
      > and so you are emulating it?

      Silly question, Ii-dono... ;) <jk>

      Waxing your thread make the lines a little more defined, a
      little "wider". I remember my shibori references talking about
      waxing one's thread, but I cannot remember if this dated to a
      specific time period or not. Usually in the text, they talked about
      what was done in period and how they did it told. For example, in
      boshi-shibori they used bamboo strips for resist in period whereas
      today they use saran wrap. =) I wonder now if evidence of wax still
      exists on the extant shibori from Homonji and Shosoin...

      The question to ask is when did wax come into use in Japan, I
      suppose. But on the other hand, substances other than wax can be
      applied to the thread to make it resist more.

      Wait a second? They waxed their bowstrings, didn't they?

      > It is the Acid Dyes that I should use, correct?

      Correct. They are best for silk.

      > Thank you for everything, Fujiwara-hime.

      Anytime, Ii-dono.

      Fujiwara no Aoi