Silk dyes

  • Joshua Badgley
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2001
      Okay, I know I've heard people talk about the silk dyes at
      www.silkconnection.com, but when I looked and searched through the site I
      couldn't find any references to it. They may have changed the site around
      since last I heard about it. Does anyone know where, specifically, the
      dyes are on the site, or at least where I can get good dyes for silk?

      I'm thinking of also doing at least one attempt at shibori(sp?). I
      understand I need 'dye resistant thread'. Is that special thread? or is
      that just a warning not to get special thread that might not resist the
      dye?

      Thank you,

      -Ii Saburou
    • heathergray@ivillage.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2001

      • mcgann@bessemer.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2001
          > Okay, I know I've heard people talk about the silk dyes at
          > www.silkconnection.com, but when I looked and searched through the
          site I
          > couldn't find any references to it. They may have changed the site
          around
          > since last I heard about it. Does anyone know where, specifically,
          the
          > dyes are on the site, or at least where I can get good dyes for
          silk?

          Try jacquardproducts.com. It's the same company, but they have
          recently separated their silk fabric out to another URL
          (silkconnection.com).

          > I'm thinking of also doing at least one attempt at shibori(sp?). I
          > understand I need 'dye resistant thread'. Is that special thread?
          or is
          > that just a warning not to get special thread that might not resist
          the
          > dye?

          This is not true. It doesn't matter if the thread takes the dye or
          not. It's pulling the thread taut that keep the fabric underneath
          from dyeing.

          I use the white silk thread available from jacquardproducts.com
          (silkconnection.com) and I rub it with some beeswax before I stitch
          with it. Unwaxed also works, though.

          Someone once told me that linen thread was always used for shibori.
          None of my shibori sources have ever proven this to be true. I have
          always used silk thread on silk fabric and gotten good results.

          Fujiwara no Aoi
        • Joshua Badgley
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 30, 2001
            On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 mcgann@... wrote:

            > I use the white silk thread available from jacquardproducts.com
            > (silkconnection.com) and I rub it with some beeswax before I stitch
            > with it. Unwaxed also works, though.

            Have you noticed a difference, or is this something that was actually done
            and so you are emulating it?

            > Someone once told me that linen thread was always used for shibori.
            > None of my shibori sources have ever proven this to be true. I have
            > always used silk thread on silk fabric and gotten good results.
            >
            > Fujiwara no Aoi

            It is the Acid Dyes that I should use, correct?

            Thank you for everything, Fujiwara-hime.

            -Ii Saburou
          • mcgann@bessemer.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 31, 2001
              > Have you noticed a difference, or is this something that was
              actually done
              > and so you are emulating it?

              Silly question, Ii-dono... ;) <jk>

              Waxing your thread make the lines a little more defined, a
              little "wider". I remember my shibori references talking about
              waxing one's thread, but I cannot remember if this dated to a
              specific time period or not. Usually in the text, they talked about
              what was done in period and how they did it told. For example, in
              boshi-shibori they used bamboo strips for resist in period whereas
              today they use saran wrap. =) I wonder now if evidence of wax still
              exists on the extant shibori from Homonji and Shosoin...

              The question to ask is when did wax come into use in Japan, I
              suppose. But on the other hand, substances other than wax can be
              applied to the thread to make it resist more.

              Wait a second? They waxed their bowstrings, didn't they?

              > It is the Acid Dyes that I should use, correct?

              Correct. They are best for silk.

              > Thank you for everything, Fujiwara-hime.

              Anytime, Ii-dono.

              Fujiwara no Aoi