[SCA-JML] Question de jour

  • Ron Martino
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 1999
      I'm in search of a decent Japanese-English/English-Japanese dictionary,
      though I'll buy two separate volumes if I need to. What I want is the
      Japanese portions in both kana and kanji, not romaji; i.e. if I want to
      look up 'eigakan', I want to be able to look under the kana for 'e',
      find the appropriate word, have the kanji shown, then the English
      definition of 'movie theater'. Going the other way, I want to be able to
      look up 'movie theater' and be shown both the kanji and the kana
      pronunciation. Having the words used in sentences and the like would be
      nice, but not necessary. Does something like this exist, or am I
      destined for disappointment?

      While we're talking dictionaries, what do folks think of the electronic
      ones on the market? Are any of them comprehensive enough to make them
      worthwhile?

      Yumitori
    • Jamie and Bridget Wilde
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 1999
        Ron Martino wrote:

        > I'm in search of a decent Japanese-English/English-Japanese dictionary,
        > though I'll buy two separate volumes if I need to. What I want is the
        > Japanese portions in both kana and kanji, not romaji; i.e. if I want to
        > look up 'eigakan', I want to be able to look under the kana for 'e',
        > find the appropriate word, have the kanji shown, then the English
        > definition of 'movie theater'. Going the other way, I want to be able to
        > look up 'movie theater' and be shown both the kanji and the kana
        > pronunciation. Having the words used in sentences and the like would be
        > nice, but not necessary. Does something like this exist, or am I
        > destined for disappointment?

        The Shogakukan Progressive Japanese-English Dictionary - Second Edition
        is
        organized like this, although I am not certain if it has an
        English-Japanese
        equivalent. The one I have is softcover, in a cardboard sleeve. Got it
        a few
        years ago, they may be on Third or Fourth Edition by now.

        Also, there is a two-volume set published by Kodansha, compiled by
        Shigeo Kawamoto,
        which is laid out this way; it's not quite as comprehensive, but I've
        gotten
        a great deal of mileage out of the set - I've had them for more than 10
        years,
        and they are so tattered now that I am lucky I was able to get this
        information
        off the covers. Not sure of the availability of this currently.

        You should have decent luck with anything put out by a Japanese
        publisher for a
        Japanese market, since native speakers are not very likely to think in
        terms of
        romaji :)

        No experience with the electronic ones, unfortunately, having been poor
        for, well,
        about as long as I've been studying Japanese. :P

        Isabella Dati
        Barony Tir Ysgithr/Atenveldt
        --
        "Why are they wearing bras?"
        -Rachel Wilde, age 4,
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 21, 1999

          Consider buying just about any waei/eiwa-jiten published by Kenkyusha.

          AmateurScholar