The Online Armour Manual is up!

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 21, 2001
      Greetings, all!

      It's been a long time in coming, but it's here, it's up, and you're
      welcome to play to your hearts' content.

      The Online Japanese Armour Manual is up on Geocities. The URL for the
      primary link is below. There will be more essays and so on added to the
      site, so this is the "front door" so to speak. Just follow the link to
      the armour manual itself.

      The URL: http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo

      Please note that there is still a handful of patterns that I have to
      translate to PDF file and upload to the site, so some links are
      disabled. As I add the files, the chapters will be marked to indicate
      that they have been updated. Due to a quirk in the way that some
      browsers work, I've found that the site looks better in Explorer (ick)
      than Netscape (dammit). You can use frames or not, but it works best
      with frames as that's how I engineered it.

      I'd love to hear any comments you may have, and if you have any problems
      with links or so on, please let me know. Also, if you feel that there
      are patterns that aren't there you feel should be, let me know and I'll
      see about updating those pages.

      Enjoy!

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 21, 2001
        Gara of Lions Gate wrote:

        > All I can say is "WOW!!!"

        Hey, have you even seen it yet? <G>

        > Gara
        > *who is now waiting for "Forced Affection: Rape as
        > the First Act of Romance in Heian Japan" to be online*

        This one needs a bit of cleaning up to HTML-ify it. Should be up in a
        few days.

        Effingham
      • OgamiAkira@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 21, 2001
          --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
          > Greetings, all!
          >
          > It's been a long time in coming, but it's here, it's up, and you're
          > welcome to play to your hearts' content.

          Edward, you are magnificent. It's fabulous!
          Your timing is great, too. I was just about to ask you if you had
          any jpgs of kogake (armored tabi). I'm sewing together some leather
          tabi for my armor, and I wanted to make them into kogake. (Yes, I
          know they'll be uncomfortable, but my kegutsu (bear fur boots) get
          *really* soggy sometimes, and then there's the flea and tick
          problem...)
          May we establish a link to your site from the Yama Kaminari Clan
          site?
          ---Ogami
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 22, 2001
            OgamiAkira@... wrote:

            > Edward, you are magnificent. It's fabulous!
            > Your timing is great, too. I was just about to ask you if you had
            > any jpgs of kogake (armored tabi). I'm sewing together some leather
            > tabi for my armor, and I wanted to make them into kogake. (Yes, I
            > know they'll be uncomfortable, but my kegutsu (bear fur boots) get
            > *really* soggy sometimes, and then there's the flea and tick
            > problem...)
            > May we establish a link to your site from the Yama Kaminari Clan
            > site?
            > -

            Certainly, I'd be honored. (BTW, hope you don't mind that I linked to
            your site... Stupidly, I didn't think to ask, but I thought it might give
            people some good ideas.)

            I have some more kogake pics, too. If you want I can send you three or
            four more this afternoon.

            Thanks for the kind words. I've been busting my butt trying to finish
            this and get some schoolwork done at the same time. I really have *no*
            life at all. Zip. None. Nada. Sigh.

            BTW, I'm planning on grabbing a combat yumi, though whether I plan to
            shoot or swing stick is still uncertain. Actually, I'll probably try to
            do both...

            How are things in your neck of the woods?

            Edward
          • wcbooth@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 22, 2001
              --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
              > Greetings, all!
              >
              > It's been a long time in coming, but it's here, it's up, and you're
              > welcome to play to your hearts' content.
              >
              > The Online Japanese Armour Manual is up on Geocities. The URL for
              the
              > primary link is below. There will be more essays and so on added to
              the
              > site, so this is the "front door" so to speak. Just follow the link
              > the armour manual itself.
              >
              > The URL: http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo
              >
              > Please note that there is still a handful of patterns that I have to
              > translate to PDF file and upload to the site, so some links are
              > disabled. As I add the files, the chapters will be marked to
              indicate
              > that they have been updated. Due to a quirk in the way that some
              > browsers work, I've found that the site looks better in Explorer
              (ick)
              > than Netscape (dammit). You can use frames or not, but it works best
              > with frames as that's how I engineered it.
              >
              > I'd love to hear any comments you may have, and if you have any
              problems
              > with links or so on, please let me know. Also, if you feel that
              there
              > are patterns that aren't there you feel should be, let me know and
              I'll
              > see about updating those pages.
              >
              > Enjoy!
              >
              > Effingham

              Effingham-dono,
              mind if i link to it too? be a great addition to the site...

              Nobu
            • Melissa Hoy
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 22, 2001
                > > Greetings, all!
                > >
                > > It's been a long time in coming, but it's here, it's up, and you're
                > > welcome to play to your hearts' content.

                *Kaede squeals happily and does an anime happy dance*

                You are soooo my HERO! *Zips off to begin construction of armor*

                Kaede
                Offering sacrifices on Effingham-dono's altar
              • Gara of Lions Gate

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 22, 2001
                    --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
                    > I have some more kogake pics, too. If you want I can send you three
                    or
                    > four more this afternoon.
                    >
                    > Thanks for the kind words. I've been busting my butt trying to
                    finish
                    > this and get some schoolwork done at the same time. I really have
                    *no*
                    > life at all. Zip. None. Nada. Sigh.
                    >
                    > BTW, I'm planning on grabbing a combat yumi, though whether I plan
                    > shoot or swing stick is still uncertain. Actually, I'll probably
                    try to
                    > do both...
                    >
                    > How are things in your neck of the woods?
                    >
                    > Edward

                    I'd really appreciate more jpegs of kogake. A side and bottom view
                    would be *very* helpful, believe me.
                    I understand and admire the volume of effort that went into this
                    latest effort of yours. People have been hounding me to finish the
                    series of articles I'm doing on how to make an armor from barrel
                    plastic for months. (Yes, I know you think they're an abomination,
                    but they're relatively easy to make and cost less than US$100 for a
                    full armor.) Just writing up the instructions for how to build a
                    taiko drum was an effortful process for me, and it was less than 10
                    pages!
                    For years now I've been thinking about writing a book about learning
                    the sword. As much as I pride myself on my abilities as a teacher, I
                    have been daunted by the enormity and complexity of the task.
                    I wrote a manual on swordsmanship (more of an annotated outline,
                    really) for my squires some years ago, and they use it as a study
                    guide. But for all of the years that I've taught, and for all of the
                    squires I've had (30?), only a few have ever even begun to realize
                    that the sword is nothing but a way to approach understanding.
                    Oops! Sorry. I'm starting to get a little Zen here. I'd better
                    stop before I say something significant. ;-)
                    ---Ogami
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 22, 2001
                      wcbooth@... wrote:

                      > Effingham-dono,
                      > mind if i link to it too? be a great addition to the site...

                      Please, by all means.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 22, 2001
                        Melissa Hoy wrote:

                        > > > Greetings, all!
                        > > >
                        > > > It's been a long time in coming, but it's here, it's up, and you're
                        > > > welcome to play to your hearts' content.
                        > > >

                        > *Kaede squeals happily and does an anime happy dance*
                        >
                        > You are soooo my HERO! *Zips off to begin construction of armor*

                        Thanks <G>.

                        I'll be supplementing the site in days and weeks to come...

                        Effingham
                      • Gara of Lions Gate
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 22, 2001
                          LOL, yup I did take a look.  I went to the website and was thouroughly overwhelmed!!  I will look at it leisurely when it's night time and it doesn't cost me to be online.  I feel like a vampire, thanks to NTT.

                          I'm looking forward to the other areas of the website, particularly "Forced Affection" as I earlier mentionned.  I tend to get pretty lost when it comes to armor, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the oodles and oodles of work that went into it!  Gokurosama desu!!  (Sorry I don't have a translation folks... when I think English I think English, and when I think Japanese I think Japanese... trying to translate either one doesn't seem to work too well for me as I've discovered!)

                          Gara

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 22, 2001
                            --- In sca-jml@egroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
                            > wcbooth@h... wrote:
                            >

                            > > Effingham-dono,
                            > > mind if i link to it too? be a great addition to the
                            site...

                            > Please, by all means.
                            >

                            > Effingham

                            Dozo

                            Nobu
                          • michael A
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 6, 2001
                              WOW!!!!

                              What can i say but thank you. after having finished
                              reading it i now have a whole load of projects to
                              start. the level of detail you went into was amazing.

                              Idefinately agree that books and reading are the most
                              crucial tools, but adding a work like this to those
                              books and pictures is invaluable.
                              I can only hope the work it inspires will do your
                              effort justice. ill try to show you what i have done
                              at war.

                              thanks again
                              kiyohara

                              http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 6, 2001
                                michael A wrote:

                                > WOW!!!!
                                >
                                > What can i say but thank you. after having finished
                                > reading it i now have a whole load of projects to
                                > start. the level of detail you went into was amazing.

                                Thank you. Armour is my bread and butter. Armour and garb. And onomastics.
                                Okay, Japanese things are my various breads and butters. (1) I'm quite
                                passionate about J. armour.

                                > Idefinately agree that books and reading are the most
                                > crucial tools, but adding a work like this to those
                                > books and pictures is invaluable.

                                Yet so many armourers never crack a book...

                                > I can only hope the work it inspires will do your
                                > effort justice. ill try to show you what i have done
                                > at war.

                                I appreciate it. I always like to see what people who've read my stuff are
                                doing.

                                Effingham
                                (1) Anyone ever seen "What's Up, Tiger Lily?"