Heian culture.

  • Ron Martino
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 21, 2001
      I'm working on an analysis of Heian culture, and how it dealt with
      power, status and relationships within and outside of the capital. So
      far I'm finding the nobility of the capital to be a generally
      unattractive bunch, who seem to do nothing more than live off the
      efforts of others without contributing anything to the culture.

      Since there are those here who find the era of interest, I must be
      missing something. What should I look to for a counter-view?

      Yumitori
      --

      yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
    • Kass McGann
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 22, 2001
        > I'm working on an analysis of Heian culture, and how it dealt
        with
        > power, status and relationships within and outside of the capital.
        So
        > far I'm finding the nobility of the capital to be a generally
        > unattractive bunch, who seem to do nothing more than live off the
        > efforts of others without contributing anything to the culture.
        >
        > Since there are those here who find the era of interest, I
        must be
        > missing something. What should I look to for a counter-view?

        Not to be overly simplistic, Yumitori-dono, but I think you hit the
        nail on the head. One of the big reasons for the fall of court power
        at the end of the Heian period (if you want to call it that) is that
        we were fat and lazy good-for-nothings.

        The Heian period was a time of incredible peace and prosperity.
        Silly creatures just never thought it would end...

        Kass/Fujiwara no Aoi
      • Ron Martino
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 22, 2001
          > Not to be overly simplistic, Yumitori-dono, but I think you hit the
          > nail on the head. One of the big reasons for the fall of court power
          > at the end of the Heian period (if you want to call it that) is that
          > we were fat and lazy good-for-nothings.
          >
          > The Heian period was a time of incredible peace and prosperity.
          > Silly creatures just never thought it would end...
          >
          > Kass/Fujiwara no Aoi

          Since analyzing how Heian practices led to their eventual fall was my
          first choice for a focus, and it looks like that would be acceptable to
          my professor, are there any suggestions for primary (in translation) or
          secondary sources I should look at?

          Yumitori
          --

          yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
        • Kass McGann
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 22, 2001
            > Since analyzing how Heian practices led to their eventual
            fall was my
            > first choice for a focus, and it looks like that would be
            acceptable to
            > my professor, are there any suggestions for primary (in
            translation) or
            > secondary sources I should look at?

            Well, may I suggest some works from the period:

            Eiga Monogatari (A Tale of Flowering Fortunes): Annals of Japanese
            Aristocratic Life in the Heian Period. Trans, with intro. and notes,
            William H. and Helen Craig McCullough. Stanford, California: Stanford
            University Press, 1980.

            Okagami (The Great Mirror): Fujiwara Michinaga (966-1027) and His
            Times Trans. Helen Craig McCullough. Michigan Classics in Japanese
            Studies, No. 4. Center for Japanese Studies. Ann Arbor, Michigan,
            University of Michigan, 1991 printing.

            There is also a diary that Effingham mentioned a while ago. It may
            be one of the two I've mentoined already. But in this diary, a Heian
            courtier speaks as if oblivious that a battle is going on just
            outside the city gates. The Confessions of Lady Nijo (Minamoto no
            Nijo no hime. Towazugatari (Confessions of Lady Nijo). Karen
            Brazell, trans. 1973: Stanford University Press, Stanford, CA.) is
            post-Heian but still carries some of that same ignorance of the world
            outside the Court.

            I hope you find these sources helpful.

            Fujiwara no Aoi
          • Ron Martino
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 23, 2001
              Just a word of thanks to Fujiwara-hime and Solveig-sensei for their
              assistance in tracking down sources for my paper. I think my stack of
              books is tall enough now, so now all I have to do is turn them into a
              cohesive document. Simple, neh? When I get it done, I'll go ahead and
              post it to the file section so you all can savage it (I'm serious - I do
              not operate under the delusion that my writing is without fault, and you
              all can only help me improve).

              Effinghasm-dono, I look forward to your project entitled 'Forced
              Affection'. One of the problems I had with identifying with Genji and
              his contemporaries was that very issue. Although I try to not judge the
              Heian period through modern sensibilities, it still grated upon me when
              I read those sections.

              Yumitori
              --

              yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 23, 2001
                Ron Martino wrote:

                > Just a word of thanks to Fujiwara-hime and Solveig-sensei for their
                > assistance in tracking down sources for my paper. I think my stack of
                > books is tall enough now, so now all I have to do is turn them into a
                > cohesive document. Simple, neh? When I get it done, I'll go ahead and
                > post it to the file section so you all can savage it (I'm serious - I do
                > not operate under the delusion that my writing is without fault, and you
                > all can only help me improve).

                Simple. Yeah. Right. <G>

                I just sent you a long e-mail on the subject. <G>

                > Effinghasm-dono, I look forward to your project entitled 'Forced
                > Affection'. One of the problems I had with identifying with Genji and
                > his contemporaries was that very issue. Although I try to not judge the
                > Heian period through modern sensibilities, it still grated upon me when
                > I read those sections.

                I hope to have it up in a couple of days. It's all editied and nearly done;
                I'm putting in the links on the footnotes (a time-consuming process) and
                trying to recreate a chart that outlines some of the information in the text.

                Effingham
              • wodeford@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 29, 2001
                  I read Effingham-dono's article on Heian courting ettiquette and NOW
                  anime of the "**** me, you red-eyed demon" style makes a LOT more
                  sense. (Squirm, shudder)

                  Then again, Guillaume IX of Acquitaine's "love poems" were pretty
                  raunchy....

                  The website looks great. Nice work.

                  On another note, I had the opportunity to see "Crouching Tiger,
                  Hidden Dragon" this weekend and give it "must see" status.

                  Cheers,
                  Jehanne
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 4 11:39 AM

                    Greetings from Solveig! Have you read Heavenly Warriors and the
                    various books by Mass on the early Kamakura period?
                    Also, have you read The Gates of Power: Monks, Courtiers, and
                    Warriors in Premodern Japan?